Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Iu
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Nrut
For cripes sake!
Use the applicator below and apply from the chamber end..
Make sure the black tip is up to or into the throat.
Shake the can well (the warmer the can the better) and be careful not to use to much or you'll end up wasting the wipe-out that goes out the end of the barrel.
Leave the applicator in the throat until you are ready to wipe the wipe-out out..
For .22 cal barrels cut off the black tip, taper the clear plastic tubing and thread it into the chamber..
Takes a bit of practice but easy to do after you get the feel for it..
NO MESS!
NONE!
[Linked Image]

This, except that I remove the applicator once the foam stop its initial expansion, and I use the black tip for my .22 cal rifles, as well. I also hold the applicator tightly into the throat with my support hand. Works perfectly. Never any mess.

+1 People making too much out of the process.

I agree , but if one is using a bore guide why not apply through it ?

HR IC

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I use these products which are great for copper, not good at all for cooked on carbon

[Linked Image][/URL]

Inspected with a hawkeye bore scope
[Linked Image][/URL]

[Linked Image][/URL]

Copper is easy to get out of the barrel, carbon is another issue. It usually takes stiff plastic brushes short stroked back and forth, concentrating on the throat area to get the carbon out. Great bronze bristle brushes used 100 strokes then thrown away help in stubborn carbon removal, but are not the sole answer in and of themselves. Scrubbing with Bore tec Eliminator on a regular basis after every range sesson will ease the pain. As shooting strings extend to 50-60 rounds, carbon gets cooked on hard, with more aggressive cleaning regiment required. JB on patches, JB on plastic or bronze bristle brushes, JB red on patches with a tight fitting jag, then you get to more aggressive compounds sold by Brownell's, Al Oxide and Silicone carbide mixed in pastes.

For guys that shoot PRS, Colony varmint shooting, F class, large over bore cases, a regiment of keeping the carbon out of the barrel is paramount in maintaining accuracy

Few reloaders are on top of keeping the carbon out of their barrels...few. Advanced information is coming to light on a "Heat Index" for various types and brands of powders. The higher the heat index, the hotter the powder burns. This Heat Index has Immediate consequences in how much carbon is cooked on the inside of the barrel surface, how hard it is to get out, and barrel life associated with the Heat Index.

A revolutionary tool has come on the market at a very affordable price, the Lyman Bore scope. This scope costs in the neighborhood of $200. You can capture pictures with it and store the pictures on your computer creating a file of pictures of a particular barrels wear over time. It will become all too obvious that various powders will carbon up a barrel very differently.

After using a bore scope for a while, you will become your own expert on the snake oil that is sold to clean barrels. Cleaning frequency will become a habit based on a particular barrel's need, bore, powder used, amount of powder used, and some bullets will copper foul more than others. Bore diameters will vary from end to end, you will learn where powder fouling creates a carbon ring, where copper accumulates in your particular barrel, and all too obvious will be the throat wear

For the Wipe out fellows, running a few soaked patches of Accelerator, then brushing with a Montana Extreme or Isso plastic brush will help tremendously in the removal of Carbon, then use the Wipe out Patch out. All copper will be gone, but carbon is another issue.

In this thread, you hear of guys like using this and that. You never know their application is a 223 or a 7 stw. You also never know if they examine their bores with a bore scope. Over the years, I have helped some guys at the range that say they clean when their gun start loosing accuracy. The problem with this mind set is that you are now in TROUBLE, removing the very hard cooked on carbon. In many cases, the carbon can not be removed with out extraordinary effort and expense.

I would urge all to get a lyman bore scope that wants to get their barrel clean, otherwise you will be a victim of Marketing gimmicks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was disappointed after reading the thread title and opening it up. My head was going in a different direction...

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Keith, I simplified my cleaning process a few years ago......

1. Dyna Bore Coat every rifle
2. Kroil for carbon
3. Finish with Wipe Out foam.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you push the fuel line tight against the chamber it’ll seal at the shoulder. If you’re still worried, flip the rifle upside down in the cradle.

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
If you love Kroil, you will fall in love with Free All
[Linked Image][/URL]

[Linked Image][/URL

Looks like I need to dynacoat my barrels

My brother owns a large tire store and rebuilds a lot of front ends on trucks and cars. Removing rusted bolts is a tough job,Especially OLD rusted on bolts.

Free All is in a class by it's self.

We have tried these penetrating oils. Free All is king.

Last edited by keith; 08/28/19.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have helped 7 guys that had bad carbon build up when they were only using Wipe out foam, over the phone and net. I did not know their cleaning frequency, they had a heck of a time getting the carbon out.

Calibers

22/243
'
22/243 AI(2)

7 mag

20-22/250 AI,

two guys with savage factory barrels, 6.5 creed, and 308

All of these men but one bought a hawkeye bore scope

Last edited by keith; 08/28/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My doctor was worried about my cholesterol so I switched to margarine. I’ve lost 15# and do I feel great! Even the misses noticed my shrinking waistband. I’d recommend it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used Wipe Out for years and it's great but for copper, it doesn't get it out like Sweets or Eliminator IME. I prefer the Gunslick foaming cleaner. It seems to work just as well and you get much more and an applicator for the same price.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

I believe Kingston bought one

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I generally use the Wipe Out applicator and apply thru the bore guide til it comes out the muzzle with a plastic bottle on the end. Keep rags over the stock to catch any back flow. Might have to switch to the unfired case. I might have some bore plugs around. Might give them a try.

Do or do not, there is no try.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by keith
I use these products which are great for copper, not good at all for cooked on carbon

[Linked Image][/URL]

Inspected with a hawkeye bore scope
[Linked Image][/URL]

[Linked Image][/URL]

Copper is easy to get out of the barrel, carbon is another issue. It usually takes stiff plastic brushes short stroked back and forth, concentrating on the throat area to get the carbon out. Great bronze bristle brushes used 100 strokes then thrown away help in stubborn carbon removal, but are not the sole answer in and of themselves. Scrubbing with Bore tec Eliminator on a regular basis after every range sesson will ease the pain. As shooting strings extend to 50-60 rounds, carbon gets cooked on hard, with more aggressive cleaning regiment required. JB on patches, JB on plastic or bronze bristle brushes, JB red on patches with a tight fitting jag, then you get to more aggressive compounds sold by Brownell's, Al Oxide and Silicone carbide mixed in pastes.

For guys that shoot PRS, Colony varmint shooting, F class, large over bore cases, a regiment of keeping the carbon out of the barrel is paramount in maintaining accuracy

Few reloaders are on top of keeping the carbon out of their barrels...few. Advanced information is coming to light on a "Heat Index" for various types and brands of powders. The higher the heat index, the hotter the powder burns. This Heat Index has Immediate consequences in how much carbon is cooked on the inside of the barrel surface, how hard it is to get out, and barrel life associated with the Heat Index.

A revolutionary tool has come on the market at a very affordable price, the Lyman Bore scope. This scope costs in the neighborhood of $200. You can capture pictures with it and store the pictures on your computer creating a file of pictures of a particular barrels wear over time. It will become all too obvious that various powders will carbon up a barrel very differently.

After using a bore scope for a while, you will become your own expert on the snake oil that is sold to clean barrels. Cleaning frequency will become a habit based on a particular barrel's need, bore, powder used, amount of powder used, and some bullets will copper foul more than others. Bore diameters will vary from end to end, you will learn where powder fouling creates a carbon ring, where copper accumulates in your particular barrel, and all too obvious will be the throat wear

For the Wipe out fellows, running a few soaked patches of Accelerator, then brushing with a Montana Extreme or Isso plastic brush will help tremendously in the removal of Carbon, then use the Wipe out Patch out. All copper will be gone, but carbon is another issue.

In this thread, you hear of guys like using this and that. You never know their application is a 223 or a 7 stw. You also never know if they examine their bores with a bore scope. Over the years, I have helped some guys at the range that say they clean when their gun start loosing accuracy. The problem with this mind set is that you are now in TROUBLE, removing the very hard cooked on carbon. In many cases, the carbon can not be removed with out extraordinary effort and expense.

I would urge all to get a lyman bore scope that wants to get their barrel clean, otherwise you will be a victim of Marketing gimmicks.

I use Dyna Bore Coat in Prarie dog guns and only clean using Wipeout if accuracy drops off or I feel bad. Typicaly thisnis after 300 rounds or more. Never resorted to scrubbing the bore with a bronze brush to remove carbon. It might be there, but it hasnt hurt accuracy at all in my guns. However, I dont not use ball powders at all.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Gunslicks foam has never worked worth a damn for me. Which is a shame because Wipeout is tough to find locally.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some time ago I bought one of every brand folks said would work to get all of the copper and carbon out of a barrel. I don't remember them all, but I do remember I had Wipeout and Accelerator in the mix along with the Gunslick (what was using then) along with some M-Pro7, Break-free clp, Hoppe's #9, something Extreme, and a few others.

I picked a rifle out that was starting to have the groups go bad on a known good-shooting (.6-.7" group @ 100) load and looked at the bore through a bore scope. I started with Hoppe's and worked my way through them all. Looking at the barrel after each one was used. Hoppe's did the least to clean out the copper. The 3rd from the last one was the Outers Gunslick and there were still spots of copper. The Wipe-out took most of that out but there was still some spots left. To get ALL of it out, I used some 27% Ammonium Hydrate solution. THAT cleaned it down to the metal. No copper, no carbon.

Only trouble with that was it took 28 shots to get the gun back to grouping the way it did.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I bought one and its works as well as the lyman for 1/4 of the price.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm

I bought one and its works as well as the lyman for 1/4 of the price.

Thanks!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,379
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.