Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
cas6969 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For the last 25+ years I've hunted in Rocky boots, ranging from 800 to 1200 (or 1400?) grams of thinsulate.The first pair I bought were meant to be a warmer weather alternative to my Sorels. Only I quickly realized they were warmer than them!

10 or 15 years later (I only wear them about 2-3 weeks a year) when they stopped being warm, they went in the attic and I replaced them with a 1200-1400 gram pair. Last winter they seemed to stop being warm.

I pulled the old ones out of the attic last year and threw them away, the soles/heels were of course now powder, as Rocky's seem to do. The "new" pair started to come apart a bit in recent seasons, and reading online, Rocky's "crumbling" issues seem to have gotten worse, not better. So I'm hesitant to go that route again.

Time is growing short and I need boots, ones I can climb hills with and go on multi mile walks... but also not freeze on half day or more sits. The old ones will still do for warmer (above freezing) temps. I really don't want to go with pac boots due to the weight, lack of hiking quality and quite frankly I never found them all that warm.

There seems to be a big gap in the non rubber pull over, non pac boot market. $100 Guide Gear stuff, which I assume is junk. And on the other end, things like Kenetrek's (1000 gram and $500 which aint happening) and crumbling Rocky's in the middle.

Are there any brand suggestions for the middle of the price scale, lace up, non pac boots, in the 1400 gram weight range?

Last edited by cas6969; 09/01/19.
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Irish Setter elk hunters!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Whatever you buy I would investigate a sock strategy to help keep your feet warm. Your socks are as important as your boots. I used Rocky boots for a while but after a few pair suffered from the sole rot I moved to Danner. My Danners didn't fit my feet correctly so I only used them for a couple years. I eventually went with Meindles Perfek hunters and I am 100 percent happy with those. I wear a liner sock and a merino wool sock. What I learned was I could buy a lower gram insulated boot and use socks to make them more comfortable in different temps. Im not in rocky mountains nor do I walk 300 miles a year in them so these boots should last me a good long time.
To answer your question I would say something like a Danner would be in the middle between Rocky and Kenetrak, Crispi, Lowa or the other really great (expensive) boots.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The Sportsmans Guide brand boots are often as good as any other brand, just cheaper. I've had a couple of pairs for over a decade and still wear them. They are cheap enough to try even if they only last a season or two.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
My Irish Setters have been excellent. Durable, warm and waterproof with no sole rot in 10 years. Sorry I don't remember what model they are. Like one of the posters above, I've also had Guide Gear boots that turned out to be pretty good.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
When you sit, a couple chemical toe warmers can make a difference. They're not great for walking but when you take a stand, you can put them in. Put them in before your toes get cold.

You don't mention your age, just that you've been hunting a long time. As we get older, the feet get colder. The circulation slows down. Boots that used to keep me nice and warm don't do it now.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I can't imagine needing 1000+ gr of insulation, especially in a boot for hiking more than 100 yards. My feet would be soaked in sweat wearing those. I haven't owned a pair of insulated hunting boots in 10-15 years. I normally wear a leather hiking boot with good wool socks and have hunted in weather down into the single digits comfortably. Of course I can't comment on hunting in temps well below zero. I might need an insulated boot for that. But I've found a warmer jacket and head covering does more to keep my feet warm than the boots.

The key to warm feet is a warm body core. If your internal organs and brain are warm, your feet will be warm. When they are warm your body sends extra blood to the hands and feet in order to cool you off. If your body's core is cold, then your body will sacrifice your extremities by reducing blood flow to them in order to keep the core warm. When that happens no amount of boot insulation is going to matter. I'm thinking you need to be looking at warmer clothing instead of warmer boots. And age does matter as does health. Smokers, former smokers, and older folks have a harder time getting the blood to flow into the feet.

Diet matters too. I keep high energy snacks with me. Just a few bites will really jack up metabolism and get the blood flowing and will make a noticeable difference if I start getting cold.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Cover everything and still need insulated boots at 22 below zero! Walking in a foot of snow, wool socks with liners and good insulated boots make the day more pleasent!

cas6969 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
"jack up metabolism" That's hilarious.

If you have boot brand suggestions....

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have not had good luck with Rocky boots and gave up after two pairs fell apart on me. For insulated boots I have been wearing Danner USA Pioneers, these are discontinued but the similar Elk Hunter is available. The soles did come apart after about ten years but the boots are still in good shape and Danner will re-sole them for free. I decided that about 600 grams is the max for boots for rough terrain. More than that and there is too much slop for me. I do wear up to a 1,000 grams for stand hunting. I get boots arger and add foil and felt insoles under the factory ones, this helps a lot as the soles act like a heat sink and typically there is no insulation on the sole of the boot. When I was mountaineering in my youth I wore insulated gaiters over conventional leather boots, when active this was good to below -20.

Sometimes I will go with plain or lightly insulated boots and wear boot blankets over them when on stand or while glassing. These keep your feet warm and help to prevent sweating which can undo any benefits of insulated boots. I find a liner sock helps significantly and sometimes wear Alpaca socks over these and then a Merino wool sock over all. I don't recall my feet ever being cold with this combo but have only tried it in single digit temperatures.

I would think the Irish Setters would be a good choice if they have maintained their quality. On logger type boots I have gone through two or three soles and the Irish Setters were still wearable. Shnee Boots are excellent both the Pacs and the Leather ones. Lowa Tibet are very good but I think only 400 grams of insulation. Check out the Alico Hunters, Sierra Trading Post has these for a good price and they are very solid old school boots. For your use I would be tempted to get one of the better made boots with around 600 - 800 grams of insulation and then buy a second cheaper ice fishing sort of boot like the Guide Gear ones. These and gaiters and boot blankets plus chemical warmers would work for just about any situation.

For the jack up your metabolism advice. A doctor recommended L-Ayrgineen to help improve circulation, it seems to help with cold feet.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I don't know how Rocky is still in business

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I wore Rocky boots for many years and was very satisfied with them, got good wear out of them and they were comfortable and easy to break in. After many years the soles di fail by crumbling, I replaced them with Timberland low hiking boots, I only use them to deer hunt for a week or so in moderate temps. I wear Smart Wool medium weight merino wool socks with chemical foot warmer insoles and my feet are warm while walking to my stand and during the eight or so hours on stand.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had a pair of Rocky's with 2000 grain thinsulate. Perfect for sitting a stand in sub-zero weather. I've only worn them one time since moving back to Texas. I've also had good luck with the Redhead rubber boots with 1000 gr thinsulate. My un-insulated boots are Filson's . Just a plain leather boot. When the soles started peeling, I sent them back to Filson and they replaced the soles with a newer version. My insulated boots are Irish Setters with 400 gr thinsulate and I still have the 2000's out there should I need 'em.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I bought a pair of those cheap Sportsman’s Guide boots. Going on three years now. Obviously, here in North Florida, I don’t need insulated boots, but waterproof is a huge plus. Boarmaster nailed it with the socks. I wear silk sock liners, and Smartwool socks. Never an issue with discomfort or wet feet.

Sam......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 62 invisible), 2,347 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,323
Posts18,487,458
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.