Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
This is a favorite of mine when hunting and camping during grouse season.
first of all procure yourself a few grouse, around here blue grouse are the prefered species but ruffs will do. I use a 22 to shoot my grouse simply because a shot gun makes a mess of the little guys. All shots are close in due to the timber and underbrush so shooting them when they are sitting on tree limbs or on the road with a 22 works real good.
Once you have a few birds, blues are nearly as big as chickens, skin or pluck them, I skin as the birds around here have very strong flavor in the skin, so off with the skin. I soak the birds in cold water after skinning for a half hour or more. I also toss in a tsp of salt into water. Remove birds from water and take their breasts out just like a chicken you can leave in the keel and ribs if you so choose or make boneless breasts. I do the boneless thing. Set aside.
In a small fry pan saute some onion, any old onion will work but good red ones are my favorite, long thin slivers peppered only cooked in butter and olive oil. just before onions go translucent throw in some thinly sliced mushrooms, nothing is better than chantrels freshly picked from the adjacent surroundings. You can use bacon in with the onion but good bacon is hard to come by it's almost always chemically produced, But there is a meat market I know of that still smokes their own.
Next step slice the breast like a hot dog bun, not all the way through, just so it will open up like a book. Spoon onion mushroom mix into breast add a slice of jack cheese and bake in dutch oven, the more the better it seems they like to cook together, you can also use a home oven and a pan cover with foil until they have cooked for 20 min. then remove cover for no more than 5 min and serve with steamed rice, make a gravy out of the drippings to go with the rice.

While the breasts were cooking I sauted up some broccoli in a pan using a bit butter and olive oil and a good spoon full of red pepper flakes tossed in. A sour dough roll and a beverage of your choise and dinners ready.

Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you ever tried this with duck? We run damn few grouse to the hill down here.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

678 members (10Glocks, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,633
Posts18,512,099
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.