Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Don't know where to ask this so will start here with the general forum. Was at an estate auction yesterday that had 25-30 guns listed on sale bill. A very poorly advertised listing for the estate. Limited info on most and 6-8 with absolutely no info. Some of this can be understood as the dearly departed was into switching parts around himself and from what I know leaving the 'not into guns' family members without a clue. At least half with no idea as to caliber. Also listed was 2 lathes but no mention of the mill and all that went with owning a mill. So not a huge crowd for these parts and other than a few of us dipstick gun nuts locally not many other lookers/tire kickers etc which is uncommon for around here. I wasn't looking to buy but ended up with 2, another long time local gent went home with 3 98's of different calibers and configurations for $100 each and one gent I didn't know bought 4 that I know of. Just a bad bad sale price wise with hunting seasons coming. However 8mm's and bigger not common nor used in these parts. Also no Remington 700's, Win 70's, Rugers or Savages so that eliminated the majority of bidders. My first bid was on a CZ 513 with a for the most part nice and clear Banner 4X, 5 & 10rd mags and just a bit of surface rust on trigger guard and 1 spot on barrel which I owned for $125.

Now what I would like info on as I have never owned a CZ of any kind but second bid was on a 550 American in 9.3x62 which has a cheezy Simmons 3x9x50 along with box and manual. Nobody knew caliber or was bidding so I started and ended up with it at $250. Brought it home and wiped it down and I sincerely believe it is unfired? Barrel is spotless and no marks etc on plastic follower. They sold ammo separate and lumped together was 3 full boxes of S&B 285's, 2 full boxes of Rem 8mm's and a box of Cutting Edge Bullets ESP Raptor 6.5mm 100gr for a can't by groceries now total of $35.lol

A custom of some kind we figured out 8mm with DST, barrel rib, butter knife bolt handle 98 fetched IIRC $300? Model 12 with some rust for $250 and after I told auctioneer what caliber a CZ 223 @ $3 or $350? Walther PP 9x18 @ $300 in decent shape but no mag. I think the most expensive was a BHP in 9mm for in the neighborhood of $4 bills Had to pack my chit 3ooyds to my truck which nowdays is a chore so missed majority of ammo/components. Several K of shotgun shells(many paper), 30 ammo can of new 8mm primed brass, 5 bxs of Norma 300H&H basic, probably 10 boxes of 06 basic, some Remington 300 prototype sniper rd(100rds or so) a brick of Russian steel cased 22 wrapped in original paper wrap marked $6 and just all kinds of centefire from 257R mostly to 375. Like I said I was packin so missed most of prices but really nothing I had use for but was interesting and surely worth more to someone that could use it then what it brought from throwing things in a pile.

So sorry for the ramble but appreciate any info on the CZ and 9.3x62 caliber. Couldn't figure out why trigger wouldn't go under 3# until I read manual and it has the set trigger. Felt pretty mentally challenged then. blush

Last edited by SDWhirlwind; 09/28/19.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You scored a great big game rifle right there......

CZ replaced the 550 CRF with the 555 push feed a few years ago.

The 550's are going up in price every day (if you can find one).

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I have a CZ 550 in .375 H&H and Tikka in 9.3 x 62. The 9.3 x 62 (.366 caliber) was developed by a German by the name of Otto Bock around the turn of the last century ... as the story goes ... as a reliable cartridge for German immigrant farmers / colonists in Africa to allow them to put (big) game on the table. It is still widely used both in Africa and Europe and in many African Countries the caliber has been "grand-fathered in" as the minimum caliber that is legally allowed for big game hunting.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
By all indications, including one I own in that caliber, it should shoot.

And while not my experience yet, perhaps in a few weeks on a cow elk hunt, it should kill stuff quite dead. Lots folks on this forum like the things.

I'm not that big of a guy and I find the recoil to be not much worse than my 30-06.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

the 9.3x62 is very interesting........

especially in a CZ or Tikka or Sako

ya did good !

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
You did very well...

I have two 9,3s and absolutely love the caliber.

First is a JES rebored Remington 721... second is a CZ550.

Simply amazing caliber... cheap ammo ($20/box), mild recoil and can ring 2 MOA steel at 400 yards 9 out of 10 with low power optics.

Reloads can add 25% power over factory PPU ammo. PPU ammo in mine is 1/2 MOA

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
That CZ 513 is just a CZ 452 with a non-adjustable trigger, they call them the "Basic" or "Farmer's" model in Europe and Australia. You got a pretty good deal on that one, rust or no rust. They shoot just like any other 452, which is pretty darned good.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It's a great rifle. Mine was very accurate. If you're planning on changing scopes, they have a high bolt throw that requires high rings with anything that has a big ocular. I've watched 2 of them sell recently on GunBroker for around a $1k so I think you did great.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks to all of you for the info. I have no need for it as with my heart condition, a couple of strokes and spinal issues from ankylosing spondolitis I don't/cannot hunt anything anymore other than road hunting coyote and shoot a few pdogs if I can find some stupid ones. Sold my 300 Wea almost 20yrs ago I used for black bear hunting in MT as I couldn't handle recoil. Heavy 308 is about my limit nowdays. frown

Love auction sales and really love them if there is any oddball gun stuff. When the bids were non existent or so low I just couldn't help myself in trying to help the estate. So because of my passion for firearms I just kinda got weak kneed and bid. Have been wanting a CZ452 in 22 or HM2 but seems when one comes up for sale I am broke. My local FFL giving up his license and then finding out he had liver cancer and passing a couple months back has saved me!!! lol Anyway when I seen the package stating the 10rd mag was for a 452 and the bid starting at $50 I became a victim of a public event!!! smile Someone had dropped the pin on the bolt so it wouldn't insert which I think is part of the reason there was no interest, they thought there was something broken or wrong bolt. Was disappointed when I tore it down that there was no trigger adj. so I may try to trade, swap or sell to get me an American as I don't find much 'eye appeal' in the European configuration. Also with he 3 bxs of 9.3 and 8 Mauser was a full box of Cutting Edge 6.5 100gr bullets. Never seen them before and according to website them is some spendy SOB's. So other than not having/chancing buying a couple other firearms it was a nice and rewarding day stumbling around all the other related junk he had.

Again guys thanks so much for taking the time to post information you have about this. Sincerely wish you all a great upcoming week.

Respectfully,
Dennis

Last edited by SDWhirlwind; 09/29/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A lot of guys like to remove the CZ set trigger, since they are "foreign" to most American shooters. The set trigger is one of the reasons I especially liked the CZ 550. Learn it and get used to shooting it, and you'll probably wonder why so few hunters use set triggers. wink

The 9,3X62 is a great round for bigger critters and doesn't blow big holes in smaller deer. It's not a long range cartridge, but most animals are shot within 300 yards; the 9,3' arch is fine out to there, IMO.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I would like to have one one of the CRF model in 7 mag. You cannot have too many 7 mags.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have a 550 in 9.3x62.

It is the most accurate rifle I own. It will literally shoot one hole groups at 100 yards.

If you handload, load it up with 286gr Partitions and 65gr of BigGame.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by steve4102
I have a 550 in 9.3x62.

It is the most accurate rifle I own. It will literally shoot one hole groups at 100 yards.

If you handload, load it up with 286gr Partitions and 65gr of BigGame.

That's characteristic of the round in general, and the CZ sure doesn't hurt that reputation. cool

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by luv2safari
A lot of guys like to remove the CZ set trigger, since they are "foreign" to most American shooters. The set trigger is one of the reasons I especially liked the CZ 550. Learn it and get used to shooting it, and you'll probably wonder why so few hunters use set triggers. wink

The 9,3X62 is a great round for bigger critters and doesn't blow big holes in smaller deer. It's not a long range cartridge, but most animals are shot within 300 yards; the 9,3' arch is fine out to there, IMO.

IMO, the CZ OEM set trigger sits pretty far forward in the trigger guard, has MIM parts which can break. (and do, see below)

For a target gun, may be OK, but for me in a hunting gun, I'd swap it out for an AHR or Timney, both sit back a bit in the trigger guard. To me, that's more comfortable. Neither have MIM parts.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good point.

I'm used to the trigger position from shooting drillings whose rifle triggers are usually the front one. I can sure see how that would not be comfortable for most guys, however.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Good point.

I'm used to the trigger position from shooting drillings whose rifle triggers are usually the front one. I can sure see how that would not be comfortable for most guys, however.

Even less comfortable when they break... wink

Most probably don't, but they can...

Enough reason for me to swap.

DF

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You did just great at the estate sale!!

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ya done good!

I have two CZ 550 Kevlar Carbines.....very accurate and reliable......makes a great moose/grizzly rifle.
I did install Timneys as visitors use em. .......I also contacted CZ USA and got metal followers for the hell of it.

I may have some mounts around here for one if you get to needing a set.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by VernAK
Ya done good!

I have two CZ 550 Kevlar Carbines.....very accurate and reliable......makes a great moose/grizzly rifle.
I did install Timneys as visitors use em. .......I also contacted CZ USA and got metal followers for the hell of it.

I may have some mounts around here for one if you get to needing a set.

Those sound nice. I haven't handled the Kevlar CZ's, but have heard good things.

If I was looking for a CZ, would have to check them out.

DF

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (007FJ, 1911a1, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,720
Posts18,514,214
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.