Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Light is nice, so long as the barrel has enough weight to it. It's quite nice to carry a short but fat barrel, and it will settle down and shoot when needed.

Very true. I don't like overly light, whippy barrels. I have a Classic Kimber that I traded for. I wouldn't shoot until I replaced the OEM tube with a 23" Broughton 5C barrel with a bit more weight and length than the original. The rifle is still light, but it handles a lot better, with more forward balance. And it went from 1 1/2" to sub half inch with certain loads.

I was into it at a good price so I'm not under water even after spending for the new barrel. It's a keeper.

DF

GB1

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Light is nice, so long as the barrel has enough weight to it. It's quite nice to carry a short but fat barrel, and it will settle down and shoot when needed.

Very true. I don't like overly light, whippy barrels. I have a Classic Kimber that I traded for. I wouldn't shoot until I replaced the OEM tube with a 23" Broughton 5C barrel with a bit more weight and length than the original. The rifle is still light, but it handles a lot better, with more forward balance. And it went from 1 1/2" to sub half inch with certain loads.

I was into it at a good price so I'm not under water even after spending for the new barrel. It's a keeper.

DF

DF: Did you ever weigh it? Also, where is the balance point?

Thanks

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I don't find 8 lbs to be a burden and have carried much heavier. But I shoot my rifles that are 7 lbs every bit as good and find somewhere around 7.5 scoped to be about perfect. I don't shoot sub 7 lb rifles quite as well. If you're carrying it slung over your shoulder a 10 lb rifle isn't much harder to carry than a 7 lb rifle. But the 7 lb rifle is far more likely to be in your hands than on your shoulder when you get that quick unexpected shot.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Balance is key...I like mine 7-7.75, slightly forward balance.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Why would you want to shoot a mountain 🏔?

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why can't Remington bring back their Model 7 Stainless Synthetic? It was small and light with a 20" barrel. I've seen guys get 1 1/4" 3-shot groups at 100yds with factory ammo in most calibers. Perfect for mountains or any hunting.

I'm still looking for a used one in .243. I NEVER see one in a gun or pawn shop!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The is a stainless synthetic stock 6 mm rem on gun broker right. Now

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Why would you want to shoot a mountain 🏔?

Because it was there!

Geeez, do we have to spell everything out for you?....

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Deleting the 3.5-4 oz of a 1/2" Decelerator pad, or the 5-7 oz off most other recoil pads, and gluing a flipflop pad w/ 1/8" backing plate (total weight less than a ounce) on my M700 MR's puts the balance point at the action screw--right where a 22" standard contour bbl balances. Taking that much weight off of the very back end of the rifle makes a big difference.

It ain't about the weight up front, it's about the balance of the rifle.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Casey,

The most recent issue of RIFLE SHOOTER included an article written by one of those infernal gun writers about rifle balance. It includes several points brought up in this thread, and some not normally considered--such as the balance point in reference to the front action screw not really having much to do "shootable" balance.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

DF: Did you ever weigh it? Also, where is the balance point?

Thanks

I'm not much of a fan of 50mm objectives, but had gotten this Conquest 3-9x50 in a gun deal and kept it.

Weight as you see it is 7#, 9 oz, balances just behind the front action screw.

This scope is slightly heavier than a 3-9x40, but it's grown on me.

Here's an interesting load, a hog killer. BTW, it's a .308.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Deleting the 3.5-4 oz of a 1/2" Decelerator pad, or the 5-7 oz off most other recoil pads, and gluing a flipflop pad w/ 1/8" backing plate (total weight less than a ounce) on my M700 MR's puts the balance point at the action screw--right where a 22" standard contour bbl balances. Taking that much weight off of the very back end of the rifle makes a big difference.

It ain't about the weight up front, it's about the balance of the rifle.........

Very true, reason I like my P-64 Fwts with the aluminum or composite buttplate vs a pad. Had one with a white line, never got used to the balance. Also put a flip-flop pad on a vanguard because I had planned on chopping a few inches off the barrel, came out very well.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I guess I like the Fieldcraft quite a bit. For me the stock fits better than a Montana and is much more comfortable to shoot. My 18" 6.5 Creed is really nice to carry, ducks through the alders and the devils club nicely, etc. It does bark a bit, but that doesn't happen very often.

My second choice would probably be an 84M Montana, in same caliber or something similar (260 or 7-08). With today's bullets, they cover an awful lot of territory. My 280AI Montana is an awesome rifle - I wouldn't want a 280AI any lighter, but I guess I don't feel the need for "all that power". smile In a short action cartridge, I don't know that I've had one yet that was "too light".

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Robert,

That is some real fine shooting! No 10 shot groups with those pills...

You have some really nice rigs, and from what I gather, you do a lot of your own work--very nice work, too.

Saw your post on that revolver with the nice stag grips--it has probably taken a few pigs, I'd guess.

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have a 7.25 pound (scoped and loaded) 270 WCF and a 6.63 pound (also scoped and loaded) 300 Weatherby. Recoil is about the same thanks to a break on the 300, but I find myself grabbing the 270 a lot. It's a great balance of enough weight to hold steady, light enough to carry, and recoil is minimal.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ruger M77 7x57, 22" barrel.

Ruger rings

B&L Balvar 2.5x8 scope

Leather Brownell Latigo sling

5 cartridges in the box, 1 in the chamber (Remington cases, Hornady 154 grain Interlock, 49 grs H 4350)

8 1/2 # at 40 to 50 degree dew points.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Hi_Vel

Robert,

That is some real fine shooting! No 10 shot groups with those pills...

You have some really nice rigs, and from what I gather, you do a lot of your own work--very nice work, too.

Saw your post on that revolver with the nice stag grips--it has probably taken a few pigs, I'd guess.

Last pig I killed was Sat with a .22-204 shooting a 75 gr SSII at 3,000 fps. Was coming out from the camp, driving down the Red River levee, saw a small group of 80# pigs at the base of the levee. Eased my rifle out the window and killed one with a shoulder shot. Typically I use a rifle, although a hard cast 270 gr. Thunderhead by Penn Bullets would whack one. Google Penn Bullets Thunderhead.

DF

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I would much rather have an ultra light rifle with a heavy mounting system and bullet proof scope that actually tracts than a lighter rifle and a lightweight scope and mounting that have known flaws.

My current hammer is a Kimber MT 6.5cm with a Burris Veracity. I like and the heavier scope really tamed down the factory 147s.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I used to hunt with a Weatherby in 300 win mag and it was HEAVY at around 9 pounds or so. I noticed the weight in the mountains. I went to a 270 win (Weatherby ultralight) and then a 260 Remington (model 7). But these days I use a model 7 in 308 that weighs around 7 pounds with the scope. The smaller cartridge means I can have a shorter barrel and it does not kick all that bad either. It can kill practically everything. I think if I went lighter in the same caliber it would kick too much - I like to watch the bullet hit and not lose my sight picture. Anyway, in a mountain rifle I do want something in a short action that does not kick too much and weighs around 7 pounds total. Compact, but not too light yet lethal. Patrick

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My only experience is with the remington mountain rifles, dad bought me on in 270 when I was 14, was my main gun until a few years ago when I came across a ss model 7 708. I think a 700 mountain is the perfect size, between a model 7 and a full size 700. I lucked up on a mid 80s 700 mountain in 308 a few months back and got a great deal. Installed a timney, bedded, better recoil pad, 2.5-10 nikon monarch....now to site in.

Last edited by killerv; 10/02/19.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,291
Posts18,486,921
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.