Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Lets face it, when your times up, you can't rewind the clock. A guy in AR shot a deer and then it killed him.

Arkansas hunter dead after deer he shot apparently gets up, attacks him
Nicole Darrah
By Nicole Darrah | Fox News

A hunter in Arkansas died after a deer he shot turned the tables — and reportedly attacked him.

Thomas Alexander, 66, is believed to have been killed as he was hunting in Yellville, an area roughly 102 miles east of Fayetteville, on Tuesday at about 6:30 p.m., officials said.

Alexander shot the buck using a muzzleloader, Keith Stephens, a spokesperson for the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission, told Fox News.

"He apparently went over to the buck and it got up and attacked him," Stephens said.
A deer who had been shot by Thomas Alexander on Tuesday night apparently got up and attacked him, leading to the hunter's death.

A deer who had been shot by Thomas Alexander on Tuesday night apparently got up and attacked him, leading to the hunter's death. ([bleep])

The 66-year-old was able to call his wife, and he was transported to the hospital after 8 p.m. He was going to be air-lifted to the hospital, but Alexander stopped breathing on the way to the helicopter, so he was driven there in an ambulance.

Alexander was pronounced dead at Baxter Regional Medical Center in Mountain Home, Stephens said. It wasn't clear whether Alexander died from the deer attack, or due to other medical problems, like a heart attack, but hospital officials said he did have puncture wounds when he was admitted. The spokesperson said he doesn't believe an autopsy will be conducted to find out how the hunter died.

Stephens told KY3 that about four years ago there was a similar incident, during which "somebody was struck by a buck's antlers" — but survived.

He said hunters should make sure to wait 30 minutes after shooting a deer before approaching it, as "it may not be dead." Stephens said Alexander "may have done that, [but] we just don’t know."

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a cousin that got to take the horn ride from a dead deer.

His coat was ripped to shreds as well as his back.

Took him a few weeks to heal up and years to out live the funny.

He did kill the deer for real with his knife.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I thought everybody waited at least 30 minutes to approach their deer? Maybe go to town, have breakfast, go get some buddies, come back later. LOL.

I'm trying to figure out what we need to outlaw to prevent this. Surely we need a new law.

Last edited by Fireball2; 10/24/19.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
/He said hunters should make sure to wait 30 minutes after shooting a deer before approaching it, as "it may not be dead." Stephens said Alexander "may have done that, [but] we just don’t know."
30 minutes is a stretch but you do need to make sure it's dead. The eyes are a giveaway. Touch it with a stick or your gun barrel if you're not sure.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I thought everybody waited at least 30 minutes to approach their deer? Maybe go to town, have breakfast, go get some buddies, come back later. LOL.

I'm trying to figure out what we need to outlaw to prevent this. Surely we need a new law.

LOL. Just what I was thinking.

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well I guess the deer owns that one........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He should of reloaded before he went up there. Maybe he did and missed under pressure?

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I always approach a downed deer with a loaded and ready rifle. They can do amazing things when spooked and have phenomenal strength for their size. It's hard not to get excited and run up on your trophy, but I always wait a few. One time I shot a nice buck up a bank from where I was sitting and it rolled down the bank toward me kicking. I jumped up from my tree seat and it landed right where my feet had been. It didn't take me long to get the heck out of Dodge! Luckily it was dead when it landed.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

Easy fix. Mandate into law (requiring a permit and 3 day waiting period, of course) what I already do most times, at the time.
Approach from the side or rear (had two - I learn slow - frontal approaches that got interesting), and from a few yards away put a bullet into the critter's head as an insurance shot. Yeah, I know - boring! But by God, we need to make it law! To protect ourselves from ourselves. smile

Last edited by las; 10/24/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
30 minutes is a stretch but you do need to make sure it's dead. The eyes are a giveaway. Touch it with a stick or your gun barrel if you're not sure.

And don't approach from the rear. Heard stories of people getting broken legs when the deer "kicked.". Don't know if the stories are true but could be. We never waited more than a couple minutes to be sure they didn't jump up and start running. But walked slowly, prepared for the coup de grace at any moment.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hell YES!

Ban antlers...

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
If I don't use an insurance shot (which once didn't work- below), I will touch the eye with the muzzle, hot chamber, safety off, finger on trigger. Twitch and twitch!

I once shot a spike bull moose with high shoulder placement, shattering the spine behind. He was running, about to enter a bog, and his momentum carried him over a body length into about 16 inches of water and muck, facing away from shore. I put another into the back of his head (250 gr, .338WM) from shore, walked back about 15 feet from shore to a willow to prop the rifle (cold chamber) against, then waded out to turn him around and drag him onto shore for dressing - hell he was only about 650 lbs.

When I grabbed his antlers, he blinked.

I leave the rest to your imagination... but the ability to levitate and transport oneself almost instantly to another location (rifle) does exist. smile

Last edited by las; 10/24/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had a "dead" cow elk kick me squarely in the nuts once. I retaliated with a .300mag round to the ear. About blew her eyeballs out of her skull. Reminded me of Arnold in the beginning of Total Recall. I knew for sure she was dead then.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ooooh! Gonna need a new drawing.

[Linked Image]

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Holy Toledo.

This is difficult to read.

My condolences to his family.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." **Benjamin Franklin**
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Oh man. frown RIP to the hunter.

I drug a heavy bodied, knarly old buck by the antlers under a fence once to where I could access it with my truck. I was on my butt pulling on the antlers. His eyes were wide open which usually means their dead and I poked him a few times with my barrel before starting the drag. I went and got the truck and came back and the deer was gone. As I'm standing there scratching my head, the buck started thrashing around in some water 20 yards back on the other side of the fence. I shot him again and this time I made damn sure he was completely dead before doing that drag again. I shudder to think of that sucker coming back to life in the compromised position I was in. I'm also glad I made the decision to retrieve the truck before gutting him. Lesson learned.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
This guy came close ... (graphic pics warning). May need to sign in to see pics.

Deer Attack

Last edited by Stricks; 10/24/19.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I approach from the rear, grab buck’s nuts, got him under control in case he jumps up!

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I

I have never seen a deer which did not have his eyes glazed over by the time I walked the 200 to 400 yds from where I shot to where he lay.

I guarantee, if those eyes were not glazed, the deer would be getting a brain shot before I put the knife to his throat.

The eyes are not glazed, if the heart is still beating.

?Does Ar disallow the carry of a defensive side arm while hunting?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Had a close call experience similar to that a few years ago, I sure as hell got out of the buck's way as he bolted past me as though he'd never been shot. Took quite a while to compose myself after that experience.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

676 members (160user, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 16gage, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 3,255 guests, and 1,386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,311
Posts18,526,248
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.