Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
For the heathens.

Fat Wrench for $29.16. Deal ends in 6 hours.

https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Accu...585579&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sr=8-4

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 11/12/19.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I prefer the dial torque wrenches like the Seekonk 0-75" pound unit. I have a couple others. I think one is a Snap On or Proto or something like that and it goes 0-30" pounds. The beauty of the dials is you can watch the torque climb in proportion to how much the screw is turning. Why is that important? Sometimes you run into soft screws or poor metal in the receivers and when you are tightening up the handle will be moving and the needle will be moving up and when something starts stretching or the threads yielding (stripping) the needle will stop while the handle continues to move. The dial gives you a visual that can't be seen with any of the common scope torque devices. It doesn't matter that they are spot on. The materials we are torquing are not near perfect.

With the old click type wrenches 10/22 receivers were famous for stripping 1 or 2 inch pounds before the specified torque. With the dial you can see that happening and stop just as it just starts to happen. This will save you from having to remove a broken screw or stripping a receiver. It will also detect cheap screws like we commonly find on Vortex and Burris rings or bases. The dial wrenches save us a couple times a eek from breaking or stripping a scope screws.

I will no longer use a clicker on anything other than lug nuts and bigger fasteners. My race car engine has 3/8"-24 head studs and a clicker wrench just a few pounds off will strip them right out of the block. I have switched all my torque wrenches out to dial wrenches now so we can see that before I wreck a $12,000 engine block. A few years ago a clicker wrench cost me a $2000 set of Jesel rocker bodies that was about 4 pounds off at 26 foot pounds.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I also use the Vortex torque wrench.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
For the heathens.

Fat Wrench for $29.16. Deal ends in 6 hours.

https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Accu...585579&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sr=8-4

My "Fatwrench" quit before I finished mounting the second scope.

I did one rifle/scope and put it away for a few weeks. When I got it out again the battery was dead. It came with a spare battery, so I put the spare in. No Go, she still would not come on. I bought a new battery at town, that dod no good either.

I need to call "Larry" and get it sent back to him.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I have a couple manual ones as linked and haven't had any problems.... Cheapest I've seen before today was $36 IIRC. Sale is done.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My inch-pound unit came to me free - from my Dad when he finally stepped away from the precision machine work in the 80s,. No telling how old it is and right now I can't remember the brand name - but it works very precisely and maintains its set. However, I have never used it to check the tightness of scope mount/ring screws. How on earth did we mount those scopes for all of those years, starting in the 60s, and not ruin anything? And, why did our stuff shoot so accurately and kill game with hardly ever a scope problem - and never a problem of too tight or too loose? Yes, the requirements of the world have changed - much more demanding on old guys. I hope I can find that old wrench before needing to mount another Tasco or BSA scope.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have a Wiha and it’s worked just fine although HiredGun make a good point regarding stripping screws, or worse, whatever they are being screwed into.

Agree, mostly we are not building space shuttles, but I’d prefer to have a tool that is calibrated, and will maintain said calibration. I’d prefer to eliminate variables and worry.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

A few years ago I evaluated a few torque wrenches, using a calibrated test fixture. Two figures below show the results from Fat Wrenches.

My favorite out of the test was a 1/4" beam-type wrench. IIRC, I tested a few and they were dead nuts accurate.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
For firearms or scopes absolute accuracy is rarely if ever an issue. With in 10% is plenty close and tons closer than you will get without one.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston
None of my torque wrenches cost any where near $500 and none of them were made China.

Fugk Harbor Freight.

MAGA

Yeah, Fook Harbor Freight! They also sell dog crap SuperMan Capes. Alpinecrick loaned me his for my elk hunt. 😛😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
See?!!!!! I told you!!!!

And I bet you killed that baby bull without a $500 purple dillydo disguised as a torque wrench..........

Last edited by alpinecrick; 11/13/19.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Had a fat wrench and got rid of it. I bought a Capri tools pretty impressive driver.

capri tool

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I don't trust my fat wrench, had some rings loosen up on a couple rifles after torquing to spec. Never had these issues before I started using it. Go figure.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4th_point

A few years ago I evaluated a few torque wrenches, using a calibrated test fixture.
My favorite out of the test was a 1/4" beam-type wrench. IIRC, I tested a few and they were dead nuts

As I assumed would be the case......

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Borka and snap-on are what I use. The snap-on I found at a pawn shop. The snap on I bought for setting the pre-load on pinion bearings on differentials.

Last edited by Edwin264; 11/13/19.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Been looking for a better wrench that what I currently have.. good info here. thanks all

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by HiredGun
I prefer the dial torque wrenches like the Seekonk 0-75" pound unit. I have a couple others. I think one is a Snap On or Proto or something like that and it goes 0-30" pounds. The beauty of the dials is you can watch the torque climb in proportion to how much the screw is turning. Why is that important? Sometimes you run into soft screws or poor metal in the receivers and when you are tightening up the handle will be moving and the needle will be moving up and when something starts stretching or the threads yielding (stripping) the needle will stop while the handle continues to move. The dial gives you a visual that can't be seen with any of the common scope torque devices. It doesn't matter that they are spot on. The materials we are torquing are not near perfect.

With the old click type wrenches 10/22 receivers were famous for stripping 1 or 2 inch pounds before the specified torque. With the dial you can see that happening and stop just as it just starts to happen. This will save you from having to remove a broken screw or stripping a receiver. It will also detect cheap screws like we commonly find on Vortex and Burris rings or bases. The dial wrenches save us a couple times a eek from breaking or stripping a scope screws.

I will no longer use a clicker on anything other than lug nuts and bigger fasteners. My race car engine has 3/8"-24 head studs and a clicker wrench just a few pounds off will strip them right out of the block. I have switched all my torque wrenches out to dial wrenches now so we can see that before I wreck a $12,000 engine block. A few years ago a clicker wrench cost me a $2000 set of Jesel rocker bodies that was about 4 pounds off at 26 foot pounds.

If you are working on stuff like that you should have them calibrated frequently. FAA requires it annually for aircraft work.

I can generally torque by had very accurately in the ranges I typically deal with. I test myself daily; tightening by hand an the checking with the torque wrench. I've never ruined anything with a 'clicker' type torque wrench. If you tighten a ring and there is a "soft" spot, you should be able to feel it by hand and stop.

I have never had a torque wrench come back from calibration more than 3% at any value and most are <1.5%. Proto, CDI (Snap-on) and Wiha are excellent tools. There are some torque wrenches out there that are certified <.1% in variation. They can cost upwards of $2000 for a 1/4" drive tool. The come with a cable to connect to a computer for recording results.

No, you don't need $500 torque wrenches for scope work but a nice tool is much more pleasing to use than a chitty one. Some of Harbor Freight tools are actually very good. I have a 1/2" impact wrench that was built specifically to compete with the $700 Snap On. It is just as good and only $119.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Say I wanted one specifically for the 65 in/lbs 1/2" hex nuts to use in conjunction with an adjustable bit driver type that has a lower range like 10-50. On the frugal side, click or beam?

(Gotta find my 3/8" CDI, might have the question answered, but, I can't recall it's range OR location since moving. )

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Say I wanted one specifically for the 65 in/lbs 1/2" hex nuts to use in conjunction with an adjustable bit driver type that has a lower range like 10-50. On the frugal side, click or beam?

(Gotta find my 3/8" CDI, might have the question answered, but, I can't recall it's range OR location since moving. )

There's Adam & Eve stores in Missoula and Three Forks.

Just an FYI

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You guys all realize that a little oil or loktite and the torque values are out the window right? This really isn’t an exact prediction of screw stretch or resistance to loosening. Not saying it’s not valuable since there isn’t a better practical way for most folks to go about it. Just saying it’s ballpark.

Sean
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (7mm_Loco, 14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 15 invisible), 1,286 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,678
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.