Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Try to find a pair of mittens that has a zipper on the back for one of those chemical heat packs. You can also get these gloves so the tops fold down and you have fingerless gloves. I found a pair of these at a local store and my hands always get cold. They worked great. Just fold the top backwards and your fingers are exposed. when they are closed the chem pack keeps them warm for hours. I always use these gloves in my hunting stand.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I like Outdoor Research Gtx shells w/ pairs of fleece liners. I rotate the liners as they get damp and carry them and a fleece hat in a small bag on the outside of my pack w/ a a Hot Hands handwarmer inside to dry everything out. The OR down mitts are perfect for calling predators.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
For general cold weather work I will second the Kinco's.

I've been wearing the fancy orange version for the last 2-3 winters. They last quite awhile and I take and rub a little wax in the leather.

https://www.amazon.com/1938KWP-L-1-...mp;psc=1&refRID=0MZZTMN1D37G95R3E2NV

A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Wool glove liners with leather outer glove. Not too tight, to allow for good circulation.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
We have gone through many pairs of these over the years. Pigskin does not get stiff after it dries out. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
No glove is as warm as leather mitts with liners. I have lived much of my life in very cold locales and worked outside for a lot of that time. I learned early on that gloves just don't do it for me. For the last 45 years, I have been blessed with a somewhat deformed hand which is very difficult to get into a glove anyway so mitts make even more sense for me.
My coldest day was one night shift when I was pulling lumber on the green chain and it was 52 below zero at 1 am but my hands were still warm! Another thing which is important to remember is that handwear, mitts or gloves, should not be too tight. Besides being warmer, loose mitts are easier to shed to make that shot. GD

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
To each his own on the mitts, my fingers feel colder when they touch each other.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Your fingers will be just toasty so long as the blood going in is warm. A few things make that happen easier.

1) no bloodflow restrictions at the elbow. Tightish or bundled up layers of clothing when bending your arm will make your hands cold, wear vests as insulation not full arms.

2) no wrist exposure to the cold. You must keep your wrists covered fully, either with coats with extra long sleeves, or gloves with gauntlets, or a cutout pair of socks as wrist warmers.

These two together will make most any gloves warm enough.

3) no wind to the hands. Either GoreTex, Windbloc, or treated leather to cut the wind from blowing the heat off your hands.

4) no bloodflow restrictions in your gloves themselves to your fingers. Most gloves are too bulky in between your fingers and don't allow good circulation. A lighter more-flexible glove is usually better and will actually feel warmer. Do not wear clunky gloves!

5) use a small chemical handwarmer if needed. Put the handwarmer directly on your palm inside the glove or else on the front of your wrist.

Best solution for work and hunting requiring dexterity is a poly-based thin glove liner, over this a thin leather goatskin glove treated with beeswax on the backs or a lightly-insulated deerskin leather glove. An elkhide glove can be substituted if needing the toughness when really working farm duties. If your wrists are covered and your elbows not kinked, then you will stay warm without much trouble.

For sitting around purposes, such as stand hunting, get a hand-muff around your waist, throw in a couple handwarmers, wear the light poly liner gloves, and you can sit for a long while without even moving anything but your fingers.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Something like these, which come in XXL will work pretty easily as well, especially with a very thin liner.

https://www.amazon.com/1958-L-1-pig...amp;refRID=79XHY0XEHESDY8EMS4CM&th=1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[bleep] - the man asks about gloves and more than one person begins discussing hats and neck gaiters.
Wrong f u k n body parts, y'all!

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Tag

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Chemical hand warmers are awesome. On our cold mornings I’ll have one on each wrist, one on my hat, one on the back of my neck, and maybe one on each kidney + toe warmers in my boots. Saves a layer of bulky clothing

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I like the chemical handwarmers; especially if one is sitting still but there are limitations as to when they should be used as I'll explain.
Many years ago, I undertook to travel about 400 miles on a motorcycle in March. Now, this wouldn't be a big deal in Alabama but this was a trip through the Canadian Rockies. The temperature when I started was a balmy 43 degrees but, as I headed east, it cooled off considerably. By the time I got to Revelstoke, it was drizzling rain and as I headed up into the pass, the rain turned to snow. This kept up all the way to Golden where I stopped to eat and try to warm up. I started up toward the divide at about 7:00 PM with snow falling and a temp of about 27. I made it to Field and it was just too cold (about 24). I pulled in and went into the store where I saw a display of Hot Shot handwarmers. I bought six. I put one in each boot, one in each glove and threw two down the front of my shirt. From then on, I wasn't toasty but my hands and feet were comfy and warm. I travelled on through Banff park and planned to stop for gas in Canmore but, perhaps due to some hypothermia effects, I simply forgot. No matter, I made it to Calgary and was shivering pretty briskly as I got ready for bed but my hands and feet were great. The warmers had worked well. The two I had put down my shirt had also worked well; too well. My stomach was red and looked like I had gooten way too much sun. Near as I could figure, the extra air got them to get a little hotter and, of course, hands and feet can take a little more heat than a stomach can. By the way, in the morning, the bike started and ran for about twenty seconds and quit; out of gas.
I use these now and then when camping in cold weather. A couple at the foot of the sleeping bag can really make a difference. GD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've lived, and will be soon living again in a truly cold environment where wintertime temps routinely stay below 0* F and colder for long stretches, with cold snaps dropping to -40* F and colder for a couple weeks or more at a time. We still have to function in it and failure to prepare for it with proper gear can mean injury or death.

I learned long ago while marching in Uncle's Arctic Legions that some of the military issue/surplus cold weather gear is the best in the world. I have piles of gloves and mittens, both commercial and milsurp. Most of the time the commercial stuff is just fine for Aleutian Hell and average cold of 0* F and above. But when bottom drops from the thermometer, The mil-surp trigger-finger and arctic mitts come out. I have several pairs of each with a pile of wool liners. I also bought a couple pairs of the newer mil-issue Outdoor Research mutant mitts that I haven't got to use up there yet. The arctic mitts are sized big enough where you can wear a regular pair of gloves inside. You can ditch the mitts for a bit if you have to do something that requires a bit more dexterity than than the mitts afford. The mil-surp mitts come with dummy cords that hang around your neck. A lot of times I wear the green wool glove liners inside the wool trigger-finger mitten liner. You can also wear them with the arctic mitts too. The OR mutant mitts fit differently. These mittens are basically commercial mountaineering mitts and a thin liner would work better in them.

I got most of my gear from Sportsman's Guide and Midway USA. But a search of mil-surp gear online would show up in several places.

Originally Posted by Triggernosis
[bleep] - the man asks about gloves and more than one person begins discussing hats and neck gaiters.

They forgot boots......... crazy

Those little details do make a difference, but yeah they should be added after one's $0.02 worth of opinion on gloves and mittens.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Depends, are you working fairly hard or mainly standing around. If the later go some place that sells ski and snowboard stuff. I got a pair that are about an inch and a half wide each finger, quick dry made for skiing sorry forget the brand. Warm plowing snow on the atv to zero degrees or so. But they'd tear apart easy doing heavy work by hand. For that I have Icelandic wool gloves that fit inside oversized leather roping gloves. Not was warm as the ski gloves but I'm moving so its all good.

Real cold? Mittens there's no denying it. One of the coldest things you can do is run an unheated snowmobile in the cold which is a big thing up here. They all wear almost elbow high very thick snowmobile mitts. I used to survey in the real cold and I went with thick wool mitts inside leather outer mitts that's good for about as cold as any sane person would be out in.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

Hey, the knee bone is connected to the neck bone.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cold Hands = Warm Heart

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Wool liner gloves inside of mittens...that is really colt medicine.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1minute, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,141 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,778
Posts18,495,840
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.