Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Did the groups hit in the same position relative to the POA? What would the composite group look like if you overlaid the targets?

John

All were centered, 1 1/2" high at a hundred. I never overlapped them. but POI looked about the same. Groups didn't shift enough to be evident.

Years ago, I bought a 40XB in .244. It came from Remington with an aggregate .38" target of three (3) shot groups, 60 gr. Sierra over 3031. That's the way they tested it. So, my thinking, if it's good enough for Remington, it'll do for me.

Now, if I had shot a 10 shot string, would it still be less than 1/2". I don't know, but think it would be pretty close. If I took the largest group, .64", as the standard, it would still be pretty good. And, my 4 wheeler shooting bench wasn't the best, just very handy.

DF

The fact that you didn't shoot a 10 shot string consecutively would occupy about .00001% of my thoughts on the matter if it were me. I've done it the way you outlined for over 3 decades, whacked over 300 head of big game, and never looked back. Love the rig DF......awesome.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice rig.

Not a damn thing wrong with a 3 shot group at the bench to determine how much the rifle likes the load. These guys that think you need 5 or 10 shot groups to feel comfortable are just going overboard. That 3 shot group tells you what the rifle will do, shooting from field positions in a hurry, and breathing hard will skew your accuracy anyway but you know what the rifle is capable of. Shooting 5 or 10 shot groups from light sporter weight or pencil weight hunting barrels will take all day as they heat up and IME that changing barrel temp starts moving stuff around anyway.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Nice rig.

Not a damn thing wrong with a 3 shot group at the bench to determine how much the rifle likes the load. These guys that think you need 5 or 10 shot groups to feel comfortable are just going overboard.....

Yep!!!
I even test 22LR ammo in 3 shot groups from my squirrel much to the dislike of members at RimFireCentral.
Works for me and that's what's important.

Ray
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
They work for me and that's what counts.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Did the groups hit in the same position relative to the POA? What would the composite group look like if you overlaid the targets?

John

All were centered, 1 1/2" high at a hundred. I never overlapped them. but POI looked about the same. Groups didn't shift enough to be evident.

Years ago, I bought a 40XB in .244. It came from Remington with an aggregate .38" target of three (3) shot groups, 60 gr. Sierra over 3031. That's the way they tested it. So, my thinking, if it's good enough for Remington, it'll do for me.

Now, if I had shot a 10 shot string, would it still be less than 1/2". I don't know, but think it would be pretty close. If I took the largest group, .64", as the standard, it would still be pretty good. And, my 4 wheeler shooting bench wasn't the best, just very handy.

DF

The fact that you didn't shoot a 10 shot string consecutively would occupy about .00001% of my thoughts on the matter if it were me. I've done it the way you outlined for over 3 decades, whacked over 300 head of big game, and never looked back. Love the rig DF......awesome.

Yuuuup!

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
When working up loads or just plain whiling away time at the shooting bench, I use 5 or 10 shot groups for a better statistical average. Sighting /practicing with a hunting rifle, 3 shot groups are my pleasure, especially with a recently acquired Ruger #1 which prints bughole 3-shotters and then starts walking the 4th and 5th shots upwards an inch.

I don't carry targets in my wallet, but the .27" cloverleaf would be a good one to be flashing around... grin

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It seems like the rifles most in need of a good number of shots to better show the actual average point of impact are the least likely to get them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

And as oft quoted by our resident guru from the far North, "it's the boolit, not the headstamp".

And he would be correct.

One of the best statements I've read on this site was, "Joe average is over-scoped, over-headstamped and under-bulleted." Can't remember who said it, but I've always remembered it.

BTW, very nice rifle!

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've used "over gunned, over scoped, and under practiced" and I'm sure I didn't originate it.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

DF

No, it definitely wouldn't be less than 1/2". You said your largest group was .64", so it would be at least that big, and probably larger if the three shot "groups" were in slightly different places. It's just as easy to stack all three groups in the same target as it is to shoot them on separate targets, and putting them on the same target tells you more about where your true zero is.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Agree with you and StudDuck.

I guess we learn (some of us, at least) from years of experience.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Yondering

DF

No, it definitely wouldn't be less than 1/2". You said your largest group was .64", so it would be at least that big, and probably larger if the three shot "groups" were in slightly different places. It's just as easy to stack all three groups in the same target as it is to shoot them on separate targets, and putting them on the same target tells you more about where your true zero is.

Zero/POI was pretty consistent. I've heard that you can about double your three shot group, going to 10. So, which three shot group do I double?

If I double the .48" aggregate, it's still sub inch. Double the .27", it's even better. Maybe I pulled the .69" group a bit on that 4 wheeler bench set up. It had a lateral spread, wasn't cloverleaf.

As long as it shoots better than minute of a deer, I'm probably gonna put meat in the freezer... grin

The rest, likely, is more academic Loony stuff than an issue to a real deer hunter.

But what else are we Loony types gonna be cogitating over... wink

DF

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
When i'm working up a load , I find a combination that groups to suit me ( 3-shots) I put up a target the next day and shoot one shot , leave target up and shoot one shot next two days. This tells me where i'm hitting first shot from a cold barrel . If conditions are different all the better , its a real world situation. This is just what I do.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I check my rifle like this:

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]AR500 by .com/photos/61286670N08/]Sharps Man, on [bleep]

I shoot one shot from 200 yards holding on the center of the plate and a black spot appears where the reticule was when rifle fired.

I go back next day and shoot another shot which hits atop the first shot fired.

The third day....that shot hits atop the previous two shots!

.308 M700 Nosler 150 grain AccuBond 46.5 grs. Varget!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
That works. Give a good idea of field accuracy. First shot, cold barrel.

DF

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I never understood the need for 5 shot groups. If you need more than 3 shots at game, it ain't the number of shots in your groups or the rifle that's your issue.

Last edited by peeshooter; 12/02/19.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I really like your rifle, just like a lot of the other respondents. And I also use 3-shot groups a lot myself, and think you are just fine doing so.
But at the risk of sounding nit-picky, your average group in your OP may have been .48" (though I think I got .44") but that could not have been your aggregate group.[i][/i]. Your average is just the size of the three groups, added up, and divided by 3. But the aggregate is the size of the nine shots comprising all 3 groups overlayed on top of one another relative to the same aimpoint. So the average will always be smaller than the largest group (unless all the groups were the same size), but the aggregate can never be smaller than the largest group. It could be the same, if the other 6 rounds in the two smaller groups all landed inside the extreme spread of the biggest, but normally it'll be larger. And the key is the aimpoints for all three groups have to be superimposed over each other so we get a true picture of the aggregate. The aggregate is the same as if you had fired all nine shots at the same target.
It sounds like you have a great shooting rifle and I don't want this to sound picky, but statistical terms have defined meanings and it's important we use them right because they are tools we use to make important decisions. Bottom line is that half MOA average group is nothing to sneeze at though - nice.

Cheers,
Rex

Last edited by TRexF16; 12/02/19.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shinbone
JMHO:

3-shot groups are fine to see if your hunting rifle/load is good enough for hunting.

For seeing just how accurate your rifle is, which necessarily includes comparing your rifle to other rifles of know accuracy, 5-shots is the universally accepted number of shots for a group. Of course, regardless of number of shots in a group, the more groups you shoot, the better.

Because there is some "bell-curve randomness" in the printing of groups, a 3-shot group size is not as repeatable as a 5-shot group size. Thus, a single 3-shot group is less likely to show a rifle's true accuracy potential than a 5-shot group. A good rule of thumb is that for a particular rifle and load, the 5-shot group will be *about* twice as big as the corresponding 3-shot group. In other words, a 3-shot one-inch group is *about* equivalent to a 5-shot two inch group. (Notice the word "about" is emphasized)

7- or 10-shot groups are even more reliable, but it is a case of diminishing returns, and the accuracy-minded shooting community has gravitated to the 5-shot group as the acceptable accuracy standard without going overboard on the number of shots required.

Regardless, if you are happy with your rifle's 3-shot groups, and you don't care about its 5-shots groups, then continue to be happy and go hunting, since the whole point of all this is to have fun (unless your a professional sniper where accuracy is serious business and you'll get laughed at if you start bragging about your gun's single 3-shot group).

Again, JMHO.

Good post. Here's a good read:

The trouble with 3 shot groups

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
When working up loads or just plain whiling away time at the shooting bench, I use 5 or 10 shot groups for a better statistical average. Sighting /practicing with a hunting rifle, 3 shot groups are my pleasure, especially with a recently acquired Ruger #1 which prints bughole 3-shotters and then starts walking the 4th and 5th shots upwards an inch.

I don't carry targets in my wallet, but the .27" cloverleaf would be a good one to be flashing around... grin

DF

Sure it would....:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You know how many damn times I've sent the first 3 into the same hole, while shooting 5 and 10 shot groups? Way too many times. But I do think every once in a while I'll just keep one of those 3 shot groups and not ruin it with 2 or 8 more shots...:
whistle

3 shots are just too easy..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
I check my rifle like this:

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]AR500 by Sharps Man, on [bleep]

I shoot one shot from 200 yards holding on the center of the plate and a black spot appears where the reticule was when rifle fired.

I go back next day and shoot another shot which hits atop the first shot fired.

The third day....that shot hits atop the previous two shots!

.308 M700 Nosler 150 grain AccuBond 46.5 grs. Varget!

I check mine like this:

When you can hit the 2" diameter target every time at 400 yards, you know you are dialed in.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (16gage, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 2,913 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,622
Posts18,492,736
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.