Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I might turn them if I knew a shop that does it. I typically just replace them. They’re pretty cheap.

Semi metallic and whatever cheap rotors on the truck, ceramic and up graded rotors on the soccer wagon. The wagon really stops nice.

locally the cost of resurfacing them, is pretty much the same cost as just buying a new set of rotors...

and yeah, I'll agree, upgraded rotors and ceramic pads, stop really really nicely....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was a rural mail carrier for 31 years, and nobody wears brakes out like a mail carrier. I tried them all..............from the lowest priced ones to the highest price ones. If there was any measurable difference, I couldn't tell it. I kept extra pads and rotors on hand so I could change them out without having to go into town and buy some. I was lucky in that I live on the route that I carried, and I've had to stop at my house and change pads out before I could complete the route.

I admit that I was hard on brakes, in that I would usually keep moving and not stop until the last moment, not slowing down and easing into the stop like some carriers did. I wanted to run that route as quick as I could, and get home and do my work around the farm. My style of driving probably had something to do with it not making any difference as to the quality of the brake pads I used. I knew some carriers who swore that the highest priced pads were worth the money, and they should have known.

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Auto makers have gone to lightweight rotating assemblies over the years. Less mass equals more MPG. Even if it's just a small amount, it helps meet EPA guidelines. With the lighter rotors, they take and release heat less efficiently.(speaking more of OEM here) When I feel them starting top "pulse", I just replace them. Ceramic pads and new rotors when needed. Haven't had a rotor or drum turned in 15 years. I do find a difference in quality. Napa gold for me.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Power stop drilled and spotted rotors and their ceramic pads on both of my trucks. Much better that OEM.

Cast

I have a short attention spa
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Cast
Power stop drilled and spotted rotors and their ceramic pads on both of my trucks. Much better that OEM.

I've never tried those, but I'd guess they disperse heat quicker.

Not much need for them now, though, on my new 4Runner.

Maybe if I ever buy one of those '68-69 Camaros that now go for a Sheik's ransom like I had back in the day. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I was a rural mail carrier for 31 years, and nobody wears brakes out like a mail carrier. I tried them all..............from the lowest priced ones to the highest price ones. If there was any measurable difference, I couldn't tell it.

I bought some cheap pads from Autozone way back when and I didn't get more than a month from them. Autozone gave me another set and I replaced them. Same thing. I didn't go back for a third bite at the apple. Around that same time a buddy of mine installed an Autozone water pump. He went through three of them in short order. It was a few decades before I bought anything other than RTV or the like from Autozone again.

Sort of off the subject now, but Autozone used the same business model as Etrade (or rather the opposite since Autozone did it before them). Grow at all cost with the lowest prices, quality be damned. It worked for both of them which reaffirms the lowest price is irresistible bait for the masses. Autozone reached critical mass a long time ago and now they don't have an all, or mostly crap inventory of parts like they used to. There is less difference in the major parts store chains and the parts they carry than back in the day. That's globalization and consolidation for you.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

222 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 264mag, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 204guy, 32 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,060
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.