Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Folks- I'd like to ask for opinions on "the best" 130 grain bullets to shoot from a .270 Win rifle for deer and antelope. I suspect that just about all of the available bullets of this weight would be pretty good, but if anybody has any especially good experience with any types as regards accuracy and overall effectiveness I would be interested in hearing about it. GWW

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the 130 hornady spire point

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I don't think there is a "best" as everyone has a preference. besides, your gun might not "like" the bullet mine does. that said, partitions, accubonds, and plain old core-lokts would do all you want, if placed correctly. one certainly doesn't "need" a premium bullet for deer or lopes'. try a box of core-lokts first. id they don't give you the accuracy you want, try some factory accubonds. good luck.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
my 270 and 270wsm both ADORE 140 accubonds!

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by hotsoup
I don't think there is a "best" as everyone has a preference. besides, your gun might not "like" the bullet mine does. that said, partitions, accubonds, and plain old core-lokts would do all you want, if placed correctly. one certainly doesn't "need" a premium bullet for deer or lopes'. try a box of core-lokts first. id they don't give you the accuracy you want, try some factory accubonds. good luck.

This is good advice.

Your rifle is an individual and if peak accuracy is the goal then noone can recommend the best option.

The good news is that every 130 grain .270 bullet is a game bullet and will suffice for your hunting requirements. This means the question in now related to accuracy in your rifle exclusively.

You will make lots of good choice and very few bad. I would start with a Nosler BT and go from there but I too, would expect excellent performandce from Hornady Spire Points.

AGW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
For me, that's an easy answer:

130 gr. Nosler Partition

I've used that bullet more than I have any other in the 270 Win., and I've taken many of my very best trophies with it, include my best pronghorn, best mule deer, etc.

It's the classic bullet for that cartridge.......

AD

"The placing of the bullet is everything. The most powerful weapon made will not make up for lack of skill in marksmanship."

Colonel Townsend Whelen
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is kind of like saying what is the best mustard for a dog, many diff tastes and likes.

But, with that said I'd offer up that you should gather 3 or 4 diff kinds and let your gun tell you.

For deer/lopes I'd take a look at these as they have well proven themselves to me.

*130 TSX
*130 Sierra BT
*130 Nosler Pt
*130 Nosler NBT
*130 SAF

One of these should rock and roll just fine for you.

Mark D

(and while you didn't ask for it I'll offer up you may wanna consider the 110 TSX as well, couldn't resist adding that one in)

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I have found the Speer 130 spitzer to shoot as well as the Ballistic Tip in four different .270s. It also performs very similarly on game. It has the advantage of getting closer to the rifling with a shorter overall length, if you have a long-throated barrel and a normal-length magazine. The 130 Hornady Interlock is an outstanding performer on deer-sized game, and has been almost as universally accurate for me.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Golfswithwolves
Folks- I'd like to ask for opinions on "the best" 130 grain bullets to shoot from a .270 Win rifle for deer and antelope. I suspect that just about all of the available bullets of this weight would be pretty good, but if anybody has any especially good experience with any types as regards accuracy and overall effectiveness I would be interested in hearing about it. GWW

Golfswithwolves--I love the moniker grin

Me? The best 270 bullet starts at 150gr--with the exception of the monolithic bullets. Better sectional density, better ballistic coefficient. Higher sectional density bullets seem to perform more consistently with the 270-308 caliber cartridges........my observation anyway.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have personally had great results with hornady bullets on deer in my 270s. I have taken dozens of them with 130 grain hornady flat base spirepoints and 140 grain hornady boat tail spirepoints. They either exit or they are under the hide on the far side looking like the bullets you see in advertisments of perfectly expanded mushrooms. They tend to lose about half their weight and expand to about twice their diameter. The deer rarely go more than 50 yards and at least 90% of the time never take a step. Groups on paper are often 1moa or better. The factory loads can be tough to beat for accuracy. The light mag factory loads are probably not beatable for velocity with sane handloads. My 270 handloads have always relied upon IMR 4350, Winchester cases and CCI primers. It is over max in some manuals so work up to my load of 54 grains with the 140 grain bullet or 56 grains with the 130 grain.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
The 130s will recoil a little less if she is recoil sensiitive and for only deer and goats I would stick with the 130s. I would look at the bonded/tipped ones and go for it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's been a lot of good advice on this thread. I'm not sure there's a bad .277 bullet for deer but I've decided to go with the TSX in my new .270. My rifle is a Sako AIII I got as a barreled action from a dear friend who is now deceased. He had some horrible luck trying to get a stock done for his rifle and finally gave up. I bought it shortly before he died and got a Rick Bin painted McMillan that I finally got bedded. The rifle shoots superbly with the TSX and will be the only hunting rifle I use this fall as it is high time Bob's rifle sees some hunting. The TSX should be suitable for anything I'll come accross. Ward

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
+1 on the 130 Hornady spire points. Nearly every 270 I've tried these in they outshot everything else or equaled with less bickering with seating depth, etc.
I have two (one mod 70 and one mod 700) that will print 1/2" groups with these on a regular basis.
On deer they work great. I've taken about 25 whitetails and around 8-10 muleys with em'.
They aren't glittery or fancy but they flat azz work!!!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
+ another on the 130 Hornady spire points. Have taken many animals with this bullet and it has performed very well. Have had good luck with the 130 sierra BT and the 130 speer as well but have not used them near as much as the Hornady.
I run 130 Nosler partitions in my .270WSM and they work great as partitions always do.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
130 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip.Awesome bullet for deer size game.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil...
...is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I've has great success, both in accuracy and performance with TSXs and Hornady spire points (do the still make the plain interlock?). At one time had good results with TBBCs(lengthwise exit from 200 yds on antelope) but they've changed them and I am no fan of the new formulation!

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Have killed lots of deer and antelope with a 270. Speer points have shot extremely well in all of mine but a little explosive if You get a close shot. Nosler partitions have accounted for about 40 head. DRT everytime, end of story. Shot 2 with triple shocks this year started at 3300fps out of a short mag. I'm color blind and will go backto partitions next year. They kill quicker.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I recommend 130 Nosler partitions for everything from coyotes to elk. Get them rolling at about 3100 f.p.s. with a good charge of slow burning powder like H4831 or Rel 22 and you will be ready for anything you can hunt in the lower 48.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
+1 on what 270 guy said.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
+1 on 130gr Partitions

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (160user, 1minute, 1badf350, 1moredeer, 10ring1, 63 invisible), 2,249 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,012
Posts18,500,284
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.