Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Construction of Navy Ship 'Harvey Milk' Begins in San Diego

[Linked Image from images03.military.com]

16 Dec 2019
The San Diego Union-Tribune | By Andrew Dyer

SAN DIEGO -- Construction began Friday on the future Harvey Milk, a fleet oiler named for the slain gay rights leader and the first openly gay man elected in California.

Milk was elected to the San Francisco board of supervisors in 1978 and was assassinated 10 months later by an ex-supervisor. His life was the subject of the 2008 film "Milk."

Almost 30 years before his election, Milk was a Navy dive officer based in San Diego. His nephew, Stuart Milk, attended Friday's event and said naming the ship after his uncle sends a message to people around the world.

"(This) sends a global message of inclusion more powerful than simply 'We'll tolerate everyone,'" Milk said. "(It says) We celebrate everyone."

Milk said his uncle was forced to resign from the Navy in the 1950s after being caught in a San Diego park popular with gay men. To be honored now with a ship showed how much things have changed, he said.

Stuart Milk was speaking at General Dynamics NASSCO in San Diego, where the ship is being built. He was joined by NASSCO representatives and San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer, State Senate President Pro Tempore Toni Atkins, Assemblyman Todd Gloria, and San Diego City Councilman Chris Cate.

Gloria told The San Diego Union-Tribune that progress for gay and lesbian service members has been swift.

"I was a congressional staffer when we were working to repeal 'don't ask, don't tell,' and you think about how difficult a challenge that was," he said, refer to the military's ban on out LGBT service members that was repealed in 2010.

"Today the Navy's constructing a ship named after the first openly gay elected official in California," he said. "It shows the progress we're making and a deepening of the commitment the military has to including gay and lesbian service members."

Nicole Murray Ramirez, the chairman and executive director of the San Diego International Imperial Court Council, an LGBT organization, was a leader in the push to name a vessel after Milk.

"When 'don't ask, don't tell' was lifted, I researched, and one guy picks all these (ship) names _ the secretary of the Navy," Ramirez said.

His organization, which has chapters nationwide, organized a national letter-writing campaign in 2011 to push then-Navy Secretary Ray Mabus to name a ship for Milk.

Fleet oilers like the future Harvey Milk are used to replenish fuel oil and dry goods to Navy ships at sea. The Milk will be the second ship in the new John Lewis class of fleet oilers. The future John Lewis, named for the civil rights leader and congressman, also is being built at NASSCO San Diego.

Kathy Baker, a logistics engineer with 45 years at NASSCO, got to make the ceremonial first cut of steel for the ship. She said it was the first time she had been selected to do so.

"I was shocked," she said. "I was honored. Felt all the time, effort and hard work I put in all these years was appreciated."

While the naming of the Harvey Milk is a sign of progress, Gloria said, there is still work to be done. Under President Donald Trump, transgender people are banned from military service.

Stuart Milk told the Union-Tribune his uncle dreamed of a day when members of his community would be accepted, and he knew his advocacy would result in his death.

"I think people should know it's not Hollywood _ he did know that he was going to be killed," Milk said of his uncle. "He didn't know who, and he didn't know when, but it gave him the courage to continue doing what he was doing."

Stuart Milk carries on his uncle's work as the founder of the Harvey Milk Foundation. He said Friday's ceremony was fulfills one of Harvey Milk's dreams.

"He dreamed of a day like today, when not only would we have the military honoring LGBT, but we have a mayor from the Republican Party and we have everyone that represents the San Diego community coming out," Milk said. "This would have been un-dreamable for people back in 1978."

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is a joke, right?

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by 1911a1
This is a joke, right?

Nope, here's a few pages of it.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14372715/1

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm sure the other members of the Navy won't have ANY snide or off color remarks to those who are unfortunate enough to be assigned to this boat.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Dess
I'm sure the other members of the Navy won't have ANY snide or off color remarks to those who are unfortunate enough to be assigned to this boat.

It’s a USNS ship (as opposed to USS) which means, if I recall correctly, that it will be crewed by the merchant marine.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I think they are typically Sealift Command, they aren't armed and aren't manned by Navy personnel, but owned by the Navy.

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
So it really will be filled with se(a)men

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
OrangeOkie: Puzzling this - on so many levels!
I also hope that the crew of this "ship" is not subjected to ridicule - but I am afraid that will be the case.
P/C gone berserk, me thinks!
How about you "Orange Okie" are you pro-homosexual yourself - you apparently made no comment on that aspect of this situation.
In fact you made NO comment at all - am I to surmise you in fact ARE pro-homosexual then?
Please clarify as up til now I have had much respect for you's!
I am always puzzled by the folks on this site who post a link on controversial issues but do not state how they feel about the subject they bring up?
Why - I ask?
I don't know.
I certainly hope you do not enjoy sodomy, liberalism, buggery, metro-sexuality and homosexuality!
Again please comment/clarify.
I'll clearly re-state how I feel - I don't think they should have named this United States flagged ship after harvey milk.
See its just that easy - otherwise how do "I"/we know whether or not to attack you?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
After this, they will name the next boat after John Lewis? This is The Onion, right?

I give Lewis credit, he marched with MLK at Selma and he risked his life, segregation was enforced by law in the South and he helped break it. It took some guts.
But these days he is a fool and a clown. I think he got brain damage from getting whacked by Alabama cops with night sticks. He can hardly speak a coherent sentence. He refused to attend President Trump's inauguration, what a martyr!

I haven't heard him say a single sentence in the past 20 years that made much sense. And he is locked in, from an all black district in Atlanta he will be re elected until the day he dies. He is a buffoon.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Cedarbreaker: Now that was funny!
And, sadly, there will be much more of this to follow/haunt the eventual crew of this ship!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Is this SATIRE?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cedarbreaker

Elijah Cummins 😬

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by cedarbreaker

Seaman’s semen

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It's not a torpedo tender is it?

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
...Milk was a Navy dive officer based in San Diego.

He really did go down.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Cum aboard, get milked!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

256 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 300_savage, 17Fan, 1100mag, 36 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,071 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,078
Posts18,501,577
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.