Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My most frequent DRT combo was 270 Winchester with 130 grain Ballistic Tips, 0-200 yards, into the lungs. 20+ deer with 130 grain bullets, mostly Ballistic Tips, the ones hit in the lungs dropped immediately. In a sample of one, same deal with .243. Same with .260. A fast, fragile bullet in the lungs makes a deer drop.

Other rounds I have used include 35 Whelen, 458 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag, 30-06, and 8x57. These 'big' rounds seem to make the deer run, although not too far to find easily. The longest I have ever had a deer run was a broadside lung shot with 405 grain bullets from my 458. It made it 200 yards, farther than any archery shot, for me.

I read somewhere that heart shots are painful, making the deer run until dead. I think that is true from the deer I have seen shot.

Jason
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For what you describe a 30-30 is hard to beat but it is totally dependent on the animal. I've shot blacktails that probably didn't weigh 110lbs as described with a 375H&H and had them death run 100 yards. DRT with a behind the shoulder shot is a crap shoot.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
For what you describe a 30-30 is hard to beat but it is totally dependent on the animal. I've shot blacktails that probably didn't weigh 110lbs as described with a 375H&H and had them death run 100 yards. DRT with a behind the shoulder shot is a crap shoot.

If you want DRT, don's shoot behind the shoulder.....

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I like the idea of larger caliber... knock'em in the dirt.... combos, but I hunt a lot of power lines, clear cut-over areas, and old logging roads, so the need for a long range DRT shot is necessary. My Quest started when shooting deer as they crossed over an old logging road from the woods and down into the swamp. If the deer did not drop in the road, then it was tough to not only find them in the swamp, but harder yet to pick the exact spot they were standing at the shot... especially in the 200-300 yd range. Those roads just looked like a looooooonnngggg tunnel or down a narrow tube with a deer standing in the middle of it. That was when I started using my 22-243AI on deer, because it was accurate enough to hit them way down there, and it did drop them on the road. And you sure don't need a deer running off through a clear cut area after being hit during the dim evening lights of the day. I have killed A LOT of deer the normal way... shot behind the shoulder... bullet passes through... leaves a good blood trail... find the deer. That has worked fine in many cases over the years for all of us, and that is okay if that is the only way it will work... but I want to open the envelope wider for a moment and make us all think for a moment that there may be something more than just the normal way.

I'm always thinking like this..." That works good... now what else might work better?"

The feeling that I'm getting from you Savoy Hunters is to use Big and Heavy for close range knock'em down kills.... or use 100-130 gr BT bullets for high speed Hydro static Lung Kills. I favor the latter because I really do think that I was born with a Western Long Range Heart, but got it's butt stuck in the East.

Forgive My Sins Jesus, Save My Soul
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Of all the deer I’ve killed or seen killed, a 300wby with factory 165 spire points (Hornady Interlocs) @3400 FPS has been the stand out on dozens of mule deer with shots averaging 300yds. 180g Sierra game kings @3200fps seemed nearly as effective. The things is, I’ve seen what the bullets do in or near the shoulder at close range...and it’s ugly and penetration is limited. I don’t see as many DRTs with partitions or accubonds but they remain my choice for all around performance.

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DanBrothers
I like the idea of larger caliber... knock'em in the dirt.... combos, but I hunt a lot of power lines, clear cut-over areas, and old logging roads, so the need for a long range DRT shot is necessary. My Quest started when shooting deer as they crossed over an old logging road from the woods and down into the swamp. If the deer did not drop in the road, then it was tough to not only find them in the swamp, but harder yet to pick the exact spot they were standing at the shot... especially in the 200-300 yd range. Those roads just looked like a looooooonnngggg tunnel or down a narrow tube with a deer standing in the middle of it. That was when I started using my 22-243AI on deer, because it was accurate enough to hit them way down there, and it did drop them on the road. And you sure don't need a deer running off through a clear cut area after being hit during the dim evening lights of the day. I have killed A LOT of deer the normal way... shot behind the shoulder... bullet passes through... leaves a good blood trail... find the deer. That has worked fine in many cases over the years for all of us, and that is okay if that is the only way it will work... but I want to open the envelope wider for a moment and make us all think for a moment that there may be something more than just the normal way.

I'm always thinking like this..." That works good... now what else might work better?"

The feeling that I'm getting from you Savoy Hunters is to use Big and Heavy for close range knock'em down kills.... or use 100-130 gr BT bullets for high speed Hydro static Lung Kills. I favor the latter because I really do think that I was born with a Western Long Range Heart, but got it's butt stuck in the East.

Dan,

As you can imagine I do a good bit of long range hunting as well.

The best combination I've found for what you are looking for follows:

Custom 7mm STW with a 29": barrel.
Bullet 160gr Nosler Accubond.

Powder WC860, Max load of WC860.
Primer Fed215. Seems to be about the only one WC860 likes.

Muzzle velocity 3400 FPS.

At these velocities the 160gr Nosler front is highly explosive, so for lack of a better word, it has a huge "shock radius". Put it any where close to the CNS and you will get enough shrapnel and/or hydrostatic shock effect into the CNS to put them down where they stand. Anytime you play at distance, you are going to have some "sub-optimal" hits. In many instances this combinations turned those into an anchored critter. I typically hold high, where the lungs meet the spine. This maximizes the likely hood of a CNS hit, while still opening up the top of the lungs so fill up with blood. Hit low, you have a solid lung shot. Hit too far forward or back, still a CNS hit. Too high, clean miss. I might loose a little more of the back straps, but, there's no perfect shot, there's always a compromise.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I concur with the effectiveness of a STW loaded to potential with 160g accubonds. My Sako has had a number of DRTs....and a couple WTFs that still did the 40-60yd death run with essentially soup for lungs.

quote=antelope_sniper]
Originally Posted by DanBrothers

Dan,

As you can imagine I do a good bit of long range hunting as well.

The best combination I've found for what you are looking for follows:

Custom 7mm STW with a 29": barrel.
Bullet 160gr Nosler Accubond.

Powder WC860, Max load of WC860.
Primer Fed215. Seems to be about the only one WC860 likes.

Muzzle velocity 3400 FPS.

At these velocities the 160gr Nosler front is highly explosive, so for lack of a better word, it has a huge "shock radius". Put it any where close to the CNS and you will get enough shrapnel and/or hydrostatic shock effect into the CNS to put them down where they stand. Anytime you play at distance, you are going to have some "sub-optimal" hits. In many instances this combinations turned those into an anchored critter. I typically hold high, where the lungs meet the spine. This maximizes the likely hood of a CNS hit, while still opening up the top of the lungs so fill up with blood. Hit low, you have a solid lung shot. Hit too far forward or back, still a CNS hit. Too high, clean miss. I might loose a little more of the back straps, but, there's no perfect shot, there's always a compromise. [/quote]

Last edited by elkaddict; 12/21/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At times, I think there can be too much of a good thing. Many moons ago I acquired a 30-378 and loaded it to near max potential. I get into some big country and wanted serious reach and knock down power.

So, it's 180 grain Nosler Combined Technology slugs (a steel cup holding the rear portion of lead) and they leave right at 3,400 fps. To date it's done a moose, 3 caribou, and 4 elk. Nothing has taken more than a couple post shot steps.

My main concern though comes from 3 of the elk where I had the classic just behind the shoulder heart lung shots. Each of those clipped rib on the way in and never left a mark on the far side of the body cavity. Some would consider those premium slugs, but they are obviously exploding with not much in the way of penetration. Maybe just a bit too much speed. Animals die though, so I guess I have no serious complaints.

I do have a 45-70 but have not taken anything with that one yet. I suspect a 405 grainer moving at about 1,750 fps will give me a serious exit wound.

1Minute
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Good stuff Guys....VERY GOOD STUFF.... you got my Wheels spinning....LOL.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
.300 Weatherby, 165 gr. Ballistic Tips, 3350 fps, absolutely deadly DRT killer.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
270 winchester with a 150 grain speer hot cor.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
108m in 6 Creed.

Yup.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So you Guys are saying that your choice of caliber and bullet for producing a DRT kills on the spot would make you a thousand dollars on the spot? What if you had to pay me $1000 for everyone that ran off...even 10 yards. Would your choices still be the same?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Isn't that the same question asked backwards?

Last edited by AKduck; 12/21/19.

Yup.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
LOL.... LOL.... I guess it is the same question.... but it makes it seem a little more serious if you had to pay out for a runner... then it is to not get paid for a non-dropper.

I mean.... come on now... if we had to pay out big money for a runner... then we would all be rethinking this whole concept about DRT Combos.

And this gives us all something to think about while stuffing ourselves on Christmas Cookies and Egg Nog.

Last edited by DanBrothers; 12/21/19.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I still have some empty deer tags that are good through Jan 1 2020... so I still have time to try out some new loads.

My Tikka 7 Mag has been doing it's Killing thing with 162 SST bullets around 3000 fps... and I have been very happy with it... BUT... I've had two good body size bucks run after being shot well in the shoulder area. One went 15 yds from a 140 yd shot. The other ran 40 yds after a 30 yd, steep angled downward shot from my 30 ft elevated tree stand position. Both bullets did not exit... nor did they bleed. Body searches. Everything before these have been DRT. I know I can't have a 100% killing combo, but it sure makes me wonder about going to a 120 or 140 gr bullet for producing higher speeds in order to create more shock and awe.

I know for a fact that there are higher percentage of DRT Combos that are hiding in our brains. Some have been posted here already... which is awesome and appreciated very much. Everything is being considered and documented.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have you considered 50BMG?
If you want for sure DRT your only option is CNS shots so anything from a 223 on up that you can place precisely works.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm thinking I could make a lot of money with my 220 Swift and 55gr Hornady SPs.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 264 with 125gr Partitions at 3300 has a pretty good track record

Last edited by southtexas; 12/21/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had a couple mule deer runners make 150 yds with the top half of their heart missing. Unless one breaks down the nervous system, mortal wounds still take a bit of time to work before the animal passes out.

1Minute
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,620 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,696
Posts18,475,180
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.