Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
You might take a look at Leupold's BX-4 Pro Guide line. I have the original(BX-3) Mojave in 8x32 and they are stellar glasses in the sub $400 category. The current BX-4 Pro Guide line appears to have taken things up a notch.

I looked at the current 8x42 version last week and was really impressed. Price was $550 & Made in Japan.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by High_Noon
In Chuck Hawk's review of the MeoPro HD 8x42s, they state that "The MeoPro HD 8x42 binoculars are, without any doubt, the finest, clearest and best binoculars that we have ever used or reviewed. Period."

Chuck Hawks. Like getting news from CNN. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by High_Noon
It appears that the MeoPros are indeed made in Czechoslovakia.

I wonder how the Tract Torrics compare to the MeoPros. Anyone have experience with both?

I bought both the Toric 8x42 and the MeoPro 8x42 this fall with a view to keeping the one I liked best. I won't be able to help you decide. I kept them both. My intitial reaction to both when setting up the diopter was, "These are wonderful binoculars."

Grymjym

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
War Eagle: Thanks. The Toric are neck-and-neck w/ the MeoPros at this point.

TxHunter80: You are, of course, correct that a wider FOV is an important consideration for 8x42s and I agree that 347’ is narrow when compared to other options on the market. Why do you believe that your opinion of the MeoPro is inflated?

Dakotagun: Thanks. I’ll take a look.

SKane: Probably, but there are limited “real” reviews on the MeoPro out there on the interwebs.

GrimJim: Thanks, but if you had to pick just one between the MeoPro and the Toric, which would it be? Also, since the Toric does not come with a case, did you end up purchasing one and if so what did you get?

I’ve also looked at a few others:

The Eschenbach Trophy D 8x42 ED, the Snypex Knight D-ED 8x42 and maybe the Minox APO 8.5x43 (used), in particular, look pretty good, though the APO is a bit steep.

I still think that the Tract Toric and the Meopta MeoPro are probably my best choices. Perhaps it will come down to what I can find for the best price.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
High Noon, I meant Chuck Hawks had an inflated opinion of them. I’m not trying to take anything away from the Meopros. They’re great binos, especially for Doug’s price. However, they are not at the alpha level. Common sense should dictate that a $400 Bino isn’t going to be on a par with one 5x the cost. They do perform extremely well for the price. Build quality is also good and Meopta is great to deal with if you ever need service. If the Torics are sold out, they are the easy recommendation. I think you can still get 10% off the new Torics if you did want to spend in that $600 range . I tried the code yesterday and it worked

Last edited by TxHunter80; 12/27/19.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Those are what Doug is recommending to me vs the Meoptas

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
TxHunter80: I see. I did think that was a pretty bold statement they made regarding the MeoPros. I agree that a bino in the $400.00 - $600.00 range would not be on par with the "alpha" glass. My point, as I'm sure you realize, was that you can get pretty close in terms of build & optical quality. The Tract Torics are looking better to me, and they have a demo set for sale at around $450.00, but I think that the Minox APO 8.5x43s would be better still. Would you agree?

mathman: I briefly looked at the Kowas, but I don't know a lot about them at this point. I will look into them further. Do you have a set and if so, what's your opinion of them?

hh4whiskey: Same question and why do you think Doug recommend them over the MeoPros?

Last edited by High_Noon; 12/27/19.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I think you can get closer than you ever could before to the alphas, especially in that $1k range. This is probably the best time ever to be buying binoculars. Quality is great and choices are just about endless. I saw those Minox. They were well over a grand new but I’ve never actually seen a pair. The Kowas are made in China if that is still a deal breaker.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I’m not 100% on all the ‘why’, but they do have a better FOV than either the Meopro and Optika. If they are (Kowa BD II) made in China, that definitely sways me spending the $ vs either Meopta.....though they might be all that ‘better’ in some regard. The specs vs $ look very good for the Optika, but it’s hard to fathom how they can be in the same league with others mentioned, at least for that $.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 12/27/19.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DVOR which is the online deal site for Optics Planet has the German Precision Optics Passion ED 8X42ED for $299. Good for another day. You'll need to be a member to see the link. If you're so inclined, PM your email address and I'll send you an invitation.

https://www.dvor.com/german-precision-optics-gpo-passion-trade-ed-8x42-hunting-binocular.html

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
DVOR which is the online deal site for Optics Planet has the German Precision Optics Passion ED 8X42ED for $299. Good for another day. You'll need to be a member to see the link. If you're so inclined, PM your email address and I'll send you an invitation.

https://www.dvor.com/german-precision-optics-gpo-passion-trade-ed-8x42-hunting-binocular.html

GPO Passion = Made in China

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
FWIW, I do see a difference between Made In vs Assembled In, where the quality is at issue.....but neither instills much confidence as almost any other origin.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Certainly something to consider. With that said, I've had a Brunton Eterna 11X45 for several years. Made in China but I have no complaints.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Highnoon don't forget about Steiner. Very hard to beat for the money and right in your wheelhouse budget wise. I have 2 sets and have zero complaints.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doug has an awesome deal on the 10X42 Steiners. Might want to check with him to see if he has any 8X.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/stein...0137-4de1-00163ecd2826?variation=2024552

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yes made in China is a deal-breaker. The GPO Passion ED 8X42ED is made in China. The GPO Passion HD is made in Japan and is more than twice the price of the ED. The Kowas are made in China.

I realize that many may scoff at my aversion to purchasing Chinese products and I realize that many binocs that are made in China are getting very good reviews, but for me, that is not the point. Not only do I not trust Chinese manufacturing "quality" to last any real length of time, I know for a fact that Chinese manufacturers cut corners at every opportunity in order to maximize their profits, regardless what they have contractually agreed to do. Contracts are meaningless in China. Not to mention that China is our enemy. Whenever possible, I avoid Chinese products like the plague. Screw the commie bastards.

hh4whiskey also has a point. The new thing with companies is to "soften" the blow by stating something like: "Designed in California," which, translated, means: Made in Frickin' CHINA. Yes, it bugs the crap out of me. I've studied and written extensively on the subject. Sorry for the mini-rant...

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
SockPuppet & lagerboy: Thanks. I didn't forget about Steiner. But I've read mixed reviews on several of their models. I'll take a look at the XCs you linked to, though.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, my Chiner rant seems to have put a bit of a damper on the 8x42 discussion.

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'll most likely go with the Minox APO. 2nd choice is the MeoPros. 3rd choice is the Tract Toric. I will try to decide by Sunday.

- Del Gue
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 14idaho, 13 invisible), 1,208 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,684
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.