Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I'm really enjoying shooting 22's lately, both plinking and hunting. I'm right handed, but shoot lefty. I have a 10/22, that I've hot rodded with a Shilen sporter weight barrel, Brownells railed receiver, Hogue stock, BX trigger group.

I'm looking to build or buy another that can also plink/hunt, but has a threaded barrel for a suppressor and railed for mounting a thermal scope. (on my current 10/22, I swap between a conventional scope and thermal).

I like a semi-auto, so should I stick with the 10/22 platform? Any semi-customs that I should start with?

Appreciate y'alls feedback.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Stick with the 10/22.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
While I won't tell you what to get, but my next 22 is going to be a Tikka T1x.

“Lighten up Francis”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First, I'm an accuracy freak. I would go with a bolt action and a tighter that standard 22LR chamber. Maybe even a tuner up front. Most semi-autos will not function properly with competition chambers. As a for instance with even a bolt action unit, once I close the bolt on my Anschutz, I have to fire the rifle or use tools to extract an unfired cartridge. Bluntly, I think one can get superior accuracy from bolt action units. I've never seen a world class competitor using a semi-auto.

1Minute
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
You have to narrow it down a bit more. KIDD is very very good of you want to go semi, and even more if you want to stay 10/22 platform.

If you want to go bolt, there’s lots of options but let’s start with a rough budget..

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Take a look at Magnum Research ( 1022 platform).The switchbolt model might be what your looking for. It has an ambidextrous thumb hole stock, left hand charging bolt, Bentz chamber, an integrated scope rail and threaded barrel. The only upgrade you might need is a trigger. At just over 4 pounds it’s a good sporter rifle. I’ve been using one this year for squirrel hunting, it’s a near perfect hunting rig.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
So, I did some more searching and think I might be interested in a Tikka T1X bolt rifle. I saw they did a special run of left hand, but they're all sold out. I'm seeing if they have another run planned or if one is laying around out there without a home.

I'll still consider all options.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gsganzer
I'm really enjoying shooting 22's lately, both plinking and hunting. I'm right handed, but shoot lefty. I have a 10/22, that I've hot rodded with a Shilen sporter weight barrel, Brownells railed receiver, Hogue stock, BX trigger group.

I'm looking to build or buy another that can also plink/hunt, but has a threaded barrel for a suppressor and railed for mounting a thermal scope. (on my current 10/22, I swap between a conventional scope and thermal).

I like a semi-auto, so should I stick with the 10/22 platform? Any semi-customs that I should start with?

Appreciate y'alls feedback.

Except for the Hogue stock, I like the 10/22 that you've put together. The stock that I like the best on 10/22 sporters is the Ruger American style stock with the high comb module installed. Most 10/22 sporter stocks don't have enough comb height for me to get proper eye alignment without a bit of stock crawling. The Ruger American style stock with the high comb module puts my eye in the right alignment when my cheek hits the stock.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by gsganzer
So, I did some more searching and think I might be interested in a Tikka T1X bolt rifle. I saw they did a special run of left hand, but they're all sold out. I'm seeing if they have another run planned or if one is laying around out there without a home.

I'll still consider all options.

If you are going to make an informed decision , you need to deal in facts rather than internet runors. NO left hand Tikka 1x rifles have been made.

They are just now catching up with the orders for right hand models and have not even shipped any already catalogued 16" barreled guns to the US due to world wide demand.

This post by a Tikka fan on RFC at the end of August sums it up-

"I have been watching the Tikka Facebook page for several months since I first saw the 2019 catalog. The question about a left handed T1X gets asked or requested about monthly, but so far no one from Tikka has responded. Asked Europtic in May and they said they had heard nothing from Tikka. I gather the right hand T1X was months late too, so who knows what Tikka is doing."

My guess is you will see a RH .22 Mag Tikka 1x and a left hand CZ457 of some sort years before any left handed Tikka t1x rifles hit the US. Also, based on Tikka centerfire pricing tge street peice of any T1x i left hand will.be $75 to $100 more than the right handed version.

Having said that, considering your criss-eye domi nance stutation, you still might consider buyjng a Tikka T1x in right hand. If you are mostly going to use it off a rest or bipod, running that right hand bolt will be no.problem. If you fall in love with the T1X, you can look foward to the Left hand version down the road with full knowledge of what you can expect

f you are looking fir a hunting rifle, I think a Light handy 10/22 based semi auto would still be your best option.

Last edited by jk16; 12/30/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For what you are doing and seem to like to do with .22's, the 10/22 is the logical choice.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
It's very difficult to a 10-22 that will match the Ruger custom shop for less than 1200.00. I have one and it is a shooter.

https://ruger.com/micros/customShop/31120.html

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lennie
It's very difficult to a 10-22 that will match the Ruger custom shop for less than 1200.00. I have one and it is a shooter.

https://ruger.com/micros/customShop/31120.html

Not sure about the $1200 part, but mine has so far been consistently accurate with ammo it likes, and the BX trigger is very shootable. Hard to beat in a semi at less than $700 street-price, if you don't have any particular notions of your own. I'd have waited a bit if I'd know there was a SS in the works.

The Tikka appears to be a good choice based on reports here, for less than $500. Like to see SS there too.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lennie

Originally Posted by Pappy348
Not sure about the $1200 part, but mine has so far been consistently accurate with ammo it likes, and the BX trigger is very shootable. Hard to beat in a semi at less than $700 street-price, if you don't have any particular notions of your own. I'd have waited a bit if I'd know there was a SS in the works.

I see them on gunbroker for as low as $650.

If you want to spend that kind of money I would look at Kidd; Better Trigger, Barrel, Receiver, etc. $714. Plus You need to find a stock of your choice (the ruger Competition I looked at had a painted laminate).

(KIdd; Barrel $200, Receiver, rcvr. pins & V-block $214, Trigger $200, Bolt $100).

My next bolt gun is going to be a tikka T1X.

YMMV,

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
After you buy the .22 you want,...use the change to buy a Marlin 795. Don't be surprised if the Marlin out shoots it.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
If you want to go all-in and are open to a bolt gun, the Vudoo’s are probably the best out there. They rule the current PRS style .22 competitions.

https://vudoogunworks.com/

Basically, it’s a .22 action patterned on the Rem 700 action so all the aftermarket stocks and goodies are available.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Tim_K
If you want to go all-in and are open to a bolt gun, the Vudoo’s are probably the best out there. They rule the current PRS style .22 competitions.

Basically, it’s a .22 action patterned on the Rem 700 action so all the aftermarket stocks and goodies are available.

I really didn’t need to see that. Just when I thought I had whittled down my dream rifle list.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by jdunham
Originally Posted by Tim_K

I really didn’t need to see that. Just when I thought I had whittled down my dream rifle list.

Thing is, I love all flavors of 22s so it took me a while to own up to "needing" a Vudoo..

Figured I was good with the 52, 54, 39a, 77/22, CZ, bla bla bla...

Turns out I was incorrect.

After watching an 8 year old girl hit the 1/4" KYL at ~40 yards ten times in a row, I knew it was the right move...

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]upload image online

You did bring dense to a new level!!

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
...take note of the full benchrest setup the one in pink used to go 10/10.

And the $6/box ammo

Vudoos flat shoot.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I recently traded a couple of firearms to Scheels for this rifle that I normally wouldn't give a 2nd look - (considering the price.)

- Tactical Solutions:

<> https://tacticalsol.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1398390&CAT=13298 <>

- Gun Metal Gray X-Ring Takedown VR Rifle

I've never been more enraptured with any firearm acquisition than this little rifle!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,818 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,315
Posts18,487,290
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.