Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I would also suggest a long-time rifle loony should have (or have owned) the following scopes:

Pre-internal adjustment B&L's, Lymans, Untertls, Weavers or whatever. Or those older scopes that only have internal elevation adjustments, since the rear mount was expected to adjust windage. Enough OLD K-model Weavers to experience the joys of internal fogging, or uncoated lenses.

They should also have dealt with the off-center mounting holes, whether gunsmithed or factory.

Which is why I love many newer scopes, especially Nightforce, but have enough experience to know the scope is still the weak link in rifle accuracy.....

How about the following I own, and use regularly:

1. two Unertls, soon to be three
2. two Feckers
3. one Litschert
4. one Lyman Targetspot

Fog up in nasty weather? Probably. Less brightness than a 70's vintage Bushnell Banner? Yep. Do I care? Nope, they aren't what any sane nimrod would drag into the deer woods on a December morning either- sunny days at the bench only, which suits me to a T. Look cool (and work just fine) on a 30's-vintage target/varmint rifle? Yep, wouldn't have it any other way.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A real Loony will also have a new rifle built for an obscure cartridge that requires multiple fire-forming and trimming steps to duplicate the performance of a readily available cartridge.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I would also suggest a long-time rifle loony should have (or have owned) the following scopes:

Pre-internal adjustment B&L's, Lymans, Untertls, Weavers or whatever. Or those older scopes that only have internal elevation adjustments, since the rear mount was expected to adjust windage.

Enough OLD K-model Weavers to experience the joys of internal fogging, or uncoated lenses.

They should also have dealt with the off-center mounting holes, whether gunsmithed or factory.

Check -
Check -
Check -

PLUS - Old Weaver - NON centered crosshairs. mad mad
Remembered I DO have a Win 94 22 M - Check.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 01/07/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I would be bored to tears if relegated to nothing but the kind of stuff you see on the "new" racks in gun shops. It may explain why I drive my pristine 1970 MGBGT every chance I get too. Life is too short...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Pre-internal adjustment B&L's, Lymans, Untertls, Weavers or whatever. Or those older scopes that only have internal elevation adjustments, since the rear mount was expected to adjust windage. Enough OLD K-model Weavers to experience the joys of internal fogging, or uncoated lenses.

Which is why I love many newer scopes, especially Nightforce, but have enough experience to know the scope is still the weak link in rifle accuracy.....

How about the following I own, and use regularly:

1. two Unertls, soon to be three
2. two Feckers
3. one Litschert
4. one Lyman Targetspot

Fog up in nasty weather? Probably. Less brightness than a 70's vintage Bushnell Banner? Yep. Do I care? Nope, they aren't what any sane nimrod would drag into the deer woods on a December morning either- sunny days at the bench only, which suits me to a T. Look cool (and work just fine) on a 30's-vintage target/varmint rifle? Yep, wouldn't have it any other way.

Another selling point regarding these old target scopes- you can swap them around onto different rifles with abandon. I use them on a bunch of different rifles. All you have to do is make a note of the micrometer settings on the windage/elevation turrets and adjust to that when returning it to a rifle and the first shot will be mighty close to where you previously were hitting on the target. They are all adjustable for parallax too, and have focusing via the ocular bell.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Still have my 70 MGB Roadster, original English Minilites and overdrive. Unfortunately it is in my least favorite color Primrose Yellow. Most can't drive a straight stick anymore let alone know what a Chock knob does..

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
gnoahhh,

Dunno what you'e apparently upset about.

Also own (and use) three older Hensoldt scopes, two 4x, one 6x and one 8x. They all work fine, especially the 8x56, which is the typical German "night scope" of the era, with a 56mm objective and multiple heavy-post reticle.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Those .22 smoothbores are the schizzle. Shot my first clays at Scout camp with one back in '62 and they work well on carpenter bees also, circa '94-95. Ran out of bees quick.

Yeah, I got all the loony scopes too. Had a .297-250 for a spell.

And I've been shooting black powder in my .22 GTC.

Thinking it's about time to invent a .22 short centerfire.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
gnoahhh,

Dunno what you'e apparently upset about.

Also own (and use) three older Hensoldt scopes, two 4x, one 6x and one 8x. They all work fine, especially the 8x56, which is the typical German "night scope" of the era, with a 56mm objective and multiple heavy-post reticle.

Oh my, not upset at all! Having fun with the whole thread! The downside to the internet: you can't see the facial expressions of folks you're talking to!

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01/06/20.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Still have my 70 MGB Roadster, original English Minilites and overdrive. Unfortunately it is in my least favorite color Primrose Yellow. Most can't drive a straight stick anymore let alone know what a Chock knob does..

Mine has wire wheels, and overdrive also. Mine is also Primrose Yellow, and I like it. The only factory color I don't like was what we called "babysh*t tan". Thinking about either a cross-flow head with 45DCOE Weber, or a supercharger. "Chock" or choke? I could leave the keys in the ignition at a 7-11 and nobody would know how to steal it.

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
How about the possession and use of kuharsky or stith external adjusted mounts that went with B+L scopes in the 1940s and 1950s?

Last edited by kaboku68; 01/06/20.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes, Choke knob.. Spell checker got me again. Have an engine sitting waiting to be installed. .90 over, aluminum big valve head, Piper fast road cam, flat side crank and later rods with the balance pads. Haven't decided on the carbs, (something else not well understood anymore) Have the 1 1/2" SU's, 1 3/4" SU's and a DCOE. Also found a Mallory dual point distributor, but don't really see that as an advantage on a 4 banger. Might make 130HP, but in the light weight MBG it should be interesting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by greydog
I would say the two 5mm's deserve some serious bonus points. GD

I have 1. Rem 541 (?) in very good condition & accurate.
I had forgotten I have it. blush

Jerry

541 ?? Or 591 ??

541 is a .22 LR. 591 is a 5mm Rem Rim Mag (as well as the 592)

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yeah that’s why the ?

591, 5 mm R Rf M

I didn’t go dig it out. Thnx

Jerry

ps: the 5mm RFM, goes with my 6mm / 7mm / 8mm rifles & 9mm pistol.

Last edited by jwall; 01/07/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a sign!

I have theoretically slowed down too, Sold quite a few rifles this summer, primarily those I hadn't shot in years--and wasn't likely to, such as my .416 Rigby.

My "rifle bank account swelled--until I bought three in one week, including a 7x57R drilling....

"7X57R drilling"

You finally turned a corner and are headed in the right direction. BTW, I know of a very good 9.3X74R drilling at a reasonable price. It's a great gun that I once owned. That would get you the essential four drillings.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I propose that someone who has never owned a 9.3 BS be banned from ever achieving status as a 33rd degree Snobbish Rite Loony. This mystical collaboration of two devout and canonized loonies is an absolute prerequisite for ascension to that lofty status.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Those .22 smoothbores are the schizzle. Shot my first clays at Scout camp with one back in '62 and they work well on carpenter bees also, circa '94-95. Ran out of bees quick.

Yeah, I got all the loony scopes too. Had a .297-250 for a spell.

And I've been shooting black powder in my .22 GTC.

Thinking it's about time to invent a .22 short centerfire.

Now there's a thought. Like a 25 auto, or a 32 ACP necked down?

I would bet that a lot of fun could be had with a little break action chambered for a 22-327 magnum loaded with a 40 gr BT over a couple grains of Titegroup.

Speaking of old scopes. I have an interesting old sample of a Weaver V7 with adjustments built into the rear ring mount. But the ocular is loose and wiggles about, which changes the POI every time you brush the ocular with your hand.

I missed six shots at six different mule deer in one day, because every time I pulled the '06 from the saddle scabbard, I would bump the ocular with my thumb. A couple of them were cake shots, prone at less than 300 yds.

Now, that schitt will fug with a young man's confidence.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I can check most box's here but my own brand of madness includes five Sako 22-250's, I have six AR's and AR's ain't really my thing. Two Shiloh Sharps Quigley's a collection of Dakota Predator rifles two of them in 204 Ruger. I collect Sako's, lever guns, a little bit of everything. Don't get me started on handguns. I'm just a sick [bleep]...

Coyotes shot no waiting.
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Acknowledging that you get weak around good quality guns is the first step in full-blown insanity.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those darn Weaver scopes. I bought an old steel tubed K3 because it was like new in box on Ebay and I wanted it for a pre war model 70 that was already drilled. During hunting season this year the rear lens let loose and is flopping around in there. I can't see a way to fix it because the rear bell will not unscrew all the way? I thought it would make a good period scope for the rifle but it wasn't durable.

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

267 members (16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 300_savage, 35 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,235
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.