Print Thread
Hop To
D
dpd Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Anybody have any tricks for installing hammers on a Savage 511 double barrel shotgun ?

GB1

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It has been years, but long tapered slave pins made like a dull ice pick, make things easier to get lined up. Then you can drive in the real pins pushing out the slaves.

RAN

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My method involves a drill press with a vise installed. If you don't have that, use the tapered punch method described above.
If you do have a drill press with vise, clamp the receiver in the padded vise with the back(stock opening ) up. Drop the hammers and springs in place. (It has worked well for me to put the receiver flat against the fixed vise jaw.) Chuck a flat screwdriver blade or small chisel not over 1/4" wide in the chuck, blade going side to side in receiver. The hammer has a depression that the blade will set into. As you push the hammer down with the quill feed, the pin holes will line up. At that point, lock the quill and you have both hands available to start the pin. Then move over to the other hammer and repeat, pushing the pin all the way into place. Takes less time to do than describe.
By the way, unplug the drill press before starting the process to prevent any uh-ohs.

D
dpd Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Kp321
My method involves a drill press with a vise installed. If you don't have that, use the tapered punch method described above.
If you do have a drill press with vise, clamp the receiver in the padded vise with the back(stock opening ) up. Drop the hammers and springs in place. (It has worked well for me to put the receiver flat against the fixed vise jaw.) Chuck a flat screwdriver blade or small chisel not over 1/4" wide in the chuck, blade going side to side in receiver. The hammer has a depression that the blade will set into. As you push the hammer down with the quill feed, the pin holes will line up. At that point, lock the quill and you have both hands available to start the pin. Then move over to the other hammer and repeat, pushing the pin all the way into place. Takes less time to do than describe.
By the way, unplug the drill press before starting the process to prevent any uh-ohs.

Sounds much easier than what I was trying .

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,171
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.