Print Thread
Hop To
#14437896 01/05/20
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
You good folks that make Canada home, what do you like about the fair nation, and what would change if you had the power?

I ask as a US citizen, that loves what small part of Canada I spend time in.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Canada? its a country north of the US...

like head thru North Dakota or MN.. ya can't miss it...

great people, bad government... too many liberals ruin it... like they do many American states..

only place on earth you can get a looney or tooney in change...

and they like to put gravy on their french fries...

and in Quebec they are called American Fries.. or at least use to be..
where their restaurant menus are in french, but instead of Soup d'jour, they have it as Soup of the Day.. crazy..
and in Quebec, if the speed limit sign is 100 Km or (60 mph American).. that is a misprint, they really mean 95 to 100 mph...
whether its snowing or not by the way...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I love my country, but am not terribly crazy for the government. I'd loosen up the regs on firearms usage, and tighten up on the criminal use of the things.

If I could, I'd make it unlawful to mention the words 'climate change' and 'carbon tax' in any context other than to say it is idiocy.

But me getting that kind of power would put a shiver up and down the spines of a lot of folks. smile

Course it wouldn't stop there either. grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
As an immigrant I love how tolerant and accepting this country is.
I’ve never felt unwelcome here.
The people are great, whether they are old stock Canadians or newcomers, I’ve never been met with anything but kindness.

This happened six years ago:
My wife and I wanted to take our 6month old son and dog for a hike to a lake out in the woods about an hour from home one Sunday.

My truck broke down half way to the lake.
It was only a year old at the time so I still had Ford Road side assistance or whatever it was called.
Called ford who told me to wait there they’ll send a tow truck.
We sat there for some time waiting for the truck...
It was hot, I’m irritated, baby is crying which has the wife irritated, you get the picture.

After some time a car pulls up.
A man of middle eastern decent pulls up and asks what the problem is in broken English.
I explained the situation to him and he immediately offered to drive us back to town.
I had to decline this seeing as the tow truck was on the way and I might miss it..
So he opens a cooler,(turns out he was taking his family on a picnic) and offers us food and some cold drinks.

The cold pop was really fantastic.
He then waited with us until the tow truck came to make sure we were alright.
It was such a kind,selfless act.
It struck me later when I thought about it more:
We were complete opposites in every way:
I’m white, he’s brown, I’m an atheist he’s likely a Muslim,
I’ve got a very different culture than he has.
I’m socially quite liberal he’s likely socially very conservative.
There was quite a language barrier between us.
I’m a complete stranger to him and he was under no obligation to stop for a stranger that day and yet he was incredibly kind to us.

That is Canada to me, a kind, tolerant place were we can put our differences aside and stand together.

We have much to be grateful for.

Last edited by Hoarsecock; 01/08/20.
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
We are a great country with a few problems.

I love the attitude so prominent in Alberta. We don’t care where you from, what colour your skin, where or if you go to worship. What we care about is do you have a job, do you work hard and are you a decent person. Most importantly do you also embrace these values.

A woman I worked with claimed there was a lot of racism in Calgary, I didn’t see it but I am the much dreaded and maligned old white guy.

So I asked my immigrant buddies about racism, one laughed in my face and said you want to see racism come with me to Nigeria I’ll show you racism. We are all black but we divide and hate along religion and tribe.

A friend from Eastern Europe said I don’t want to sound rude but you Canadians are so easy I have strong accent and from time to time need to ask the meaning of words all you care about is do I have a job do I work hard am I good guy.

Thanks to obstructionist anti industry federal governments Alberta has missed a full up cycle in the oil industry we have lost about 125,000 to 150,000 jobs. So we can no longer welcome every hard working person from throughout Canada and around the world.

I love Canada, I love Alberta, we need to fine tune some things and get rid of some of the soft headed politically correct BS.

IC B2

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by GRF
We are a great country with a few problems.

I love the attitude so prominent in Alberta. We don’t care where you from, what colour your skin, where or if you go to worship. What we care about is do you have a job, do you work hard and are you a decent person. Most importantly do you also embrace these values.

A woman I worked with claimed there was a lot of racism in Calgary, I didn’t see it but I am the much dreaded and maligned old white guy.

So I asked my immigrant buddies about racism, one laughed in my face and said you want to see racism come with me to Nigeria I’ll show you racism. We are all black but we divide and hate along religion and tribe.

A friend from Eastern Europe said I don’t want to sound rude but you Canadians are so easy I have strong accent and from time to time need to ask the meaning of words all you care about is do I have a job do I work hard am I good guy.

Thanks to obstructionist anti industry federal governments Alberta has missed a full up cycle in the oil industry we have lost about 125,000 to 150,000 jobs. So we can no longer welcome every hard working person from throughout Canada and around the world.

I love Canada, I love Alberta, we need to fine tune some things and get rid of some of the soft headed politically correct BS.

Well said

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by the_shootist
I love my country, but am not terribly crazy for the government. I'd loosen up the regs on firearms usage, and tighten up on the criminal use of the things.

If I could, I'd make it unlawful to mention the words 'climate change' and 'carbon tax' in any context other than to say it is idiocy.

But me getting that kind of power would put a shiver up and down the spines of a lot of folks. smile

Course it wouldn't stop there either. grin

x2!

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Many here have said we don't have racism, however I disagree, we certainly do, BUT, it comes from the government and is directed at those who are not aboriginal/native. Different laws, punishments, and taxes for natives vs white/other people, always in the natives best interest of course. The natives themselves are also probably the most racist people on this planet towards any other race. Because of the more lenient laws and "punishments" for the natives, they basically think they are above the law and none of "white mans laws" apply to any of them so they are most criminal. They whine and cry over their old traditional ways but sure as heck won't give up any modern technology or convenience. BC is probably the worst for this though so the other provinces, especially the further east you get, may not see it as much.

That being said it's not just the natives, the liberals like to bend the rules for any minority group it seems. EVERYONE is required by law to wear helmets when riding motorcycle, unless you wear a turban, I mean they are only hurting themselves more than anything but it should be 1 land, 1 law for everyone. Then exceptions for their swords. Then the others with their niqab or whatever face coverings being allowed for police uniforms and passports etc. Soon they'll be making an exception for honor killings. This is Canada, not the middle east, you come here to be a Canadian, you follow our laws. We shouldn't be changing Canadas laws to suit everyone else.

Last edited by russm86; 01/09/20.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I like the space, lack of crowds, and pretty country. I love the great hunting and fishing available. I love taking a kayak trip and not seeing anyone for days.

I am extremely unhappy with our current federal government and provincially (BC) our current left wing government. To me, we have some of the tightest control on firearms around - and our current federal government thinks taking firearms away from sportsmen with careers and no criminal record will stop firearm crime. This is stupid.

The carbon tax our federal government is inflicting on us. I get the user pay part of the philosophy BUT that model breaks down out of the few large urban centers in Canada. I was living in northern Ontario for a few years. There are very limited transportation options available. Whereas if I lived in the Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton, Montreal, Calgary, etc, there are all kinds of alternatives to driving. We don't have them in small town Canada and yet we are penalized for driving to work when there is no other option.

Crime, we have a decent system we just have to use it. Quit letting bad people out to reoffend. Give bad people harsher longer sentences.

I could go on...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Just out of curiosity... Is Quebec included in the nice, polite, tolerant and sensible of Canada?

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
most of Quebec is; Montreal is not. GD

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 260Remguy, 61 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,479
Posts18,490,041
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.