Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
If I push a 550 grain bullet from my Encore 15 inch 45/70 at 1400 fps how fast would I have to push a 115'grain bullet from a 9MM to equal that momentum. Physical physics dictate the numbers but what are they? And Newton says momemtum exists. So dont blame me.

Last edited by glockdoofus; 01/22/20.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
6696 fps...

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I don’t think any of us are State certified, or licensed to help you. πŸ˜‚

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Probably a lot more velocity than you get when they fire you out of the cannon at the circus.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
^^^^^^^
Bwahahahahahahah

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGray
6696 fps...

Agreed. (Momentum = Mass x Velocity.)

We used to discuss momentum ad nauseam at bowling pin shoots as we tried to identify the best cartridge and the best load for shooting pins. Ultimately, it wasn't the math that determined the answer, but rather how fast a man could get accurate hits. Generally revolvers couldn't compete with automatics, because of the limited cartridge capacity and the generally slower reload speed. As for automatic chamberings, the 10mm is pretty much king. It produces excellent momentum numbers and is still within the realm of what a man could handle for recoil.

However, almost all of our guys shoot the .45 ACP for a few reasons: (1) Brass is cheaper if/when you lose it. (2) The .45 ACP produces sufficient momentum to knock a pin 3 feet back and off a table. (The 10mm does it better, but the .45 is still "enough.") Finally, (3) the recoil of the 10mm is still a bit much for most casual shooters, including myself. It affects their overall speed, as they lose time getting back on target after each shot, and it affects their accuracy--many shooters flinch when they shoot it. <--Those are all very general observations and conclusions.

Getting back to momentum, you have to find the sweet spot for the job at hand. A baseball weighs 5.25 ounces, or 2297 grains. When pitched at 85 mph or 125 feet per second, it produces incredible momentum: 2297 x 125 = 287,125. Compare that number to a 230 grain .45 bullet fired at 850 feet per second: 230 x 850 = 195,000. The baseball produces nearly 50% more momentum than the bullet. But, given the choice, which would you rather get hit with? We'd all take the baseball.

Doofus's load is very impressive: 550 x 1400 = 770,000 (nearly 4 times the .45 ACP!) But, at what point do you have so much momentum that adding more doesn't help you? That's well beyond my high school math and physics skills. I just know that such a round would have to be fired into something huge in order to transfer the momentum to the target. If the bullet just punches through the target, you don't transfer all the momentum. You need your bullet to stop in the target. Another argument for .45 ACP in bowling pin shoots is that most bowling pins will stop most .45 loads, resulting in the pin being punched backwards as desired.

I realize that this diatribe is too long and dull to most, but I thought it might interesting to some.

Carry on!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Waders, After years of having the same thing covered over and over, for some it might become boring, but it doesn't cease to be true. Hence why when I want a increase in power with my hunting handguns, I go up in caliber and bullet weight. I quit chasing velocity a long time ago.

Doofus, As far as I am concerned you don't deserve any serious discussion when you post your silliness.

Having said that, I do wish you a good day.

Byron

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RyanTX
Probably a lot more velocity than you get when they fire you out of the cannon at the circus.

Fugk that was funny.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by glockdoofus
If I push a 550 grain bullet from my Encore 15 inch 45/70 at 1400 fps how fast would I have to push a 115'grain bullet from a 9MM to equal that momentum. Physical physics dictate the numbers but what are they? And Newton says momemtum exists. So dont blame me.

As we have been told repeatedly, the difference in wounds between 9mm-45 caliber handguns is inconsequential.

So you must always choose the sidearm that A. kicks less and B. holds more bullets.

The only smart thing to do is trade Encore for a Glock 19 with extra bright night sights* a couple of spare 32 round spare mags and a milk pail of Modern 9mm ammo. You'll be ready for anything from rabbits to rhinoceros; and you'll be one of the Cool Kids too.

*Especially the rear sight; this is vitally important if you're lost at night and rescuers are searching for you from the air.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. β“’
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm never really one to get involved in these personal attacks or name calling. However, since the entire existence of glockdoofus seems to be for the sole purpose of absurdity and hyperbole let me just say "The title of the thread says all that needs to be said". Keep on enjoying yourself though glockdoofus.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 01/23/20.

ΞœΞŸΞ›Ξ©Ξ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I recognize that the Doofus is just here to stir the pot. In fact, he's probably somebody's sock puppet. However...

I was just trying to have something useful come from his post.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
How many 9mm shoots would it take to bring down a elephant?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well when you figure it out let us know..

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Waders
Originally Posted by JGray
6696 fps...

Agreed. (Momentum = Mass x Velocity.)

We used to discuss momentum ad nauseam at bowling pin shoots as we tried to identify the best cartridge and the best load for shooting pins. Ultimately, it wasn't the math that determined the answer, but rather how fast a man could get accurate hits. Generally revolvers couldn't compete with automatics, because of the limited cartridge capacity and the generally slower reload speed. As for automatic chamberings, the 10mm is pretty much king. It produces excellent momentum numbers and is still within the realm of what a man could handle for recoil.

However, almost all of our guys shoot the .45 ACP for a few reasons: (1) Brass is cheaper if/when you lose it. (2) The .45 ACP produces sufficient momentum to knock a pin 3 feet back and off a table. (The 10mm does it better, but the .45 is still "enough.") Finally, (3) the recoil of the 10mm is still a bit much for most casual shooters, including myself. It affects their overall speed, as they lose time getting back on target after each shot, and it affects their accuracy--many shooters flinch when they shoot it. <--Those are all very general observations and conclusions.

Getting back to momentum, you have to find the sweet spot for the job at hand. A baseball weighs 5.25 ounces, or 2297 grains. When pitched at 85 mph or 125 feet per second, it produces incredible momentum: 2297 x 125 = 287,125. Compare that number to a 230 grain .45 bullet fired at 850 feet per second: 230 x 850 = 195,000. The baseball produces nearly 50% more momentum than the bullet. But, given the choice, which would you rather get hit with? We'd all take the baseball.

Doofus's load is very impressive: 550 x 1400 = 770,000 (nearly 4 times the .45 ACP!) But, at what point do you have so much momentum that adding more doesn't help you? That's well beyond my high school math and physics skills. I just know that such a round would have to be fired into something huge in order to transfer the momentum to the target. If the bullet just punches through the target, you don't transfer all the momentum. You need your bullet to stop in the target. Another argument for .45 ACP in bowling pin shoots is that most bowling pins will stop most .45 loads, resulting in the pin being punched backwards as desired.

I realize that this diatribe is too long and dull to most, but I thought it might interesting to some.
Carry on!

I'm not member mathman, but did do the math and didn't pull that number out of my ass grin

Last edited by JGray; 01/23/20.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RyanTX

You win the internet today. 😁😁😁

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1minute, 204guy, 219DW, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,587 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,600
Posts18,511,428
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.