Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Just got back form my first sales seminar. Was for Paccar parts personel and I went as a guy from the service side to see how the other half lives.

I learned a TON and had a great time (2 days in a VERY nice hotel will do wonders).

I don't know how salesmen do it - the stories told round the campfire so to speak.....cut throat.

I enjoyed it - and while I think I could sell truck parts as an outside salesman (and do well)- I don't see it ever happening.

Was an interesting eye opener to a side of my industry I was never exposed to before. (plus the swag is nice)

(I can also see that being a sales rep for one of the many vendors there might be a great gig - one line of product to work and not the multiple that our guys do...)

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Andrew,
You should try selling an intangible that nobody wants to buy (insurance) and making it 45+ years on commission only. frown

I've heard it said, and it's true, "Nothing happens until somebody sells something."

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I can see that Mickey - I guess it was a bit over whelming for me. The other guys it was old hat. Guess I am not used to a hotel stay and schmoozing. (never had my butt kissed so much - I am used to doing it to our customers not someone to me - treating me as a customer)

I couldn't imagine being a regional rep for one of our vendors (22+ at this thing) and doing it all the time all over the country.

Last edited by teal; 05/24/07.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Teal, the way I look at it, a good salesman just convinces the client that buying the product or service was the client's idea in the first place, and when you reach that point, close the sale and move on. cool

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've always been leery of a man who keeps telling me how honest he is. "The more he spoke of his honor the faster we counted our silver". With that caveat I will say that in 45 years I have never put my interest ahead of the customer's interest. It's been easy for me because I have never craved riches and that's a blessing. Take care of your customers and you'll do fine.

IC B2

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't see myself as a salesman at all. As a service writer I am actually a tech support guy, customer service guy, salesman, complaint department, accounts recievable and 1/2 butt mechanic.

I don't really want to be a salesman but that little exposure to them and their world was fun and interesting - it helps that I really do believe in the product. I couldn't work 50+ hours a week with the guys I do if I didn't really think my dealership group was the best and that when it comes to an 0/0 truck or a high class fleet - Peterbilt really is heads and shoulders above the rest.

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you're in business, you're in sales, period, whether you're a CEO or a grunt.

I'm always amused by folks who claim to not be the "sales type". More often than not, they are good sales folks and just don't know it. What for-profit organization would keep someone around that scared off customers?

Heck, even missionaries gotta sell...

Having sold a lot of different stuff over the years, insurance included, most recently guns wholesale through a distributor - I can tell you a sales person and business doesn't last long if they don't truly serve the customer. If I sell a gun to a dealer because "I" like it and it sits for a year, do you think that dealer won't remember that?

Business is sales and those that don't provide a bonafide, valuable product or service will soon be weeded out.

TM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Everyone is selling all the time. I manage a sales team for a Bank, we sell people things they need, we give very good advise and we are succesful because of it.

I completely agree with Mickey, I've been doing this for 17 years and the people in our Industry that are consistently successful are the people who always do the right thing for the client.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just remember this.....people love to buy, they hate to be sold.

All American

All the time
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, and the art is letting them think it was their idea, shutting up and letting them buy.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of the hardest things to teach.....shutting up.

All American

All the time
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I could sell Glock pistols and Toyota 4WD's. smile

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's a huge difference between selling "one time" and building an ongoing, durable relationship. To me selling is simply a matter of choosing the right product. Then, let people buy what they want. My job is to make sure they are happy with what they buy, and come back. Then again, it's easy when you are selling something to grandpa so the grandkids will have fun..... LOL! Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been selling building materials for 28+ years, mostly to the same lumber yard/building material dealers. It is very different than selling intangible's (as MColeman stated) because I don't have to convince a dealer or contractor that he needs wallboard or plaster, I only have to convince them to buy my brand. That is where we are all salesmen in any business; you have to give the best value (price, quality and service) to KEEP the business - thats the hard part. I had a sales manager at GE (my first sales job) who told me that he could screw anyone ONCE, but to keep them permanently we had to out service the competition - I have never forgotten that lesson. I love being a sales rep - I am ruined for "honest work", being in an office all the time. Odessa

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by teal
I can see that Mickey - I guess it was a bit over whelming for me. The other guys it was old hat. Guess I am not used to a hotel stay and schmoozing.

Yeah, but miss your 'quota' a couple of times and you'll be like a slow third-base runner to home: OUTTA THERE!

Mickey, I fully understand your position. I had a 'limited lines' insurance license for about 10 years.. Some things are necessary to buy; homeowners or vehicle insurance for instance. But getting good penetration rates via CL/AH or similar will separate the salesmen from the wannabes...

Besides, there's little satisfaction in it.. Can't 'see' what you accomplished every day. At least, when I mow the yard I can see what's done. I build a rifle and I can see what's done.. Selling insurance doesn't do that for me.. I'm glad I'm out..

Best to you all.

Last edited by Redneck; 05/25/07.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Something a lot of people do not realize. Sales is the lowest paying easy job out there. And the hardest high paying. Northwest University did a study in the late 70's that compared stress in different jobs. The only job that produced more stress than a professional (high paying) sales job, was a brain surgeon. Good sales people are well paid because they earn it. JMHO TM

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (219 Wasp, 219DW, 2500HD, 1badf350, 1936M71, 222Sako, 58 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,474
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.