Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Wife and I are renting a USFS cabin in the Tongass NF near Ketchikan in early June. Lake has cutthroat, rainbow and dolly varden. We will be using spinning gear. Any thoughts on what to use for lures or any other advice for the adventure.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Assortment of small vibrax is what I use
And maybe some small sinkers to add weight to cast further

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Here on the Kenai, trout seem to love black Mepps, or black Mepps with yellow spots in really clear lakes. If I remember correctly.

It's been years since I fished rod'n reel, except a little pike fishing in Interior. Or jigging through the ice in Kotzebue for shee fish- both with spoons.

Best of luck..

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve always done well with Mepps, Roostertails and Vibrax spinners. A variety of sizes, colors and brands should cover your needs. I’ve caught some of my bigger fish on smaller hardware so don’t think that everything has to be bigger in Alaska, sometimes small and dainty is the way to go. The fish in some small, remote Alaskan lakes that see little if any pressure don’t seem to care what you throw at them. One lake that we flew into was loaded with nice sized Grayling. We hopped off the float plane, unloaded our gear and watched the plane depart. I tied on a Mepps spinner before moving our gear from the beach to our camping spot and on the first cast hooked into a beautiful “Swordfish of the North”. 😁. If I didn’t hook a fish in 3 casts I moved down the beach 10 yards and it was game on. Of course there are many variables that apply and I don’t expect that kind of fishing everywhere but when you find a place like that you’ll never forget the experience.

Best of luck to you and your wife and I hope you have a wonderful and safe trip.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by moellermd
Wife and I are renting a USFS cabin in the Tongass NF near Ketchikan in early June. Lake has cutthroat, rainbow and dolly varden. We will be using spinning gear. Any thoughts on what to use for lures or any other advice for the adventure.

Bring lots of deet and a bug net.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
As an alternative to those spinners, try a clear float and about 7 feet of four lb test trailing an emerging nymph pattern. Crank it slow.

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is that maybe Kegan Lake?

If so, also fish the stream. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I am a big fan of the Thomas Buoyant spoons

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calvin
I am a big fan of the Thomas Buoyant spoons

I've done well around here with those. The cutthroat love them.

Yup.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
IME, cutties love red and orange, regardless the lure...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 55 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,455
Posts18,489,729
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.