Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Don't know about the eating part,but when in the wood and you got to go,DON"T WIPE WITH IT........

been there,was 6 and life has not been the same........

my dream job.....life guard of the gene pool!!!!!
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can tell you from personal experience not to pizz on an electric fence too. It friggin hurts! shocked

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Violator22
That ain't right. grin

Never have been accused of being "right"! grin grin

beati pacifici quoniam filii Dei vocabuntur Matthew 5:9
G
G
I have had very good results with a solution of equal parts of vinegar and water applied with a pump sprayer on poison ivy. It positively nukes it.

G
G
I have had very good results with a solution of equal parts of vinegar and water applied with a pump sprayer on poison ivy. It positively nukes it.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The stuff gives me fits!!!! A broadleaf weed killer with 2,4-d will kill it quickly! Round Up will not be very effective as it is a grass herbicide � have a spray rig that has sprayed thousands of gallons of the stuff. For the consumer who cannot obtain some of the products mentioned earlier just look on the label of any broad leaf week killer and buy the one that has the highest percentage of 2,4-d and apply.

NRA Life Member
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by cowdoc
I would use Remedy/Grazon tank mix(triclopyr, picloram plus 2,4-D). It will hurt woody plants and broadleaves and not set the grasses back too much. There might be new stuff that works better. If you have a farm coop close somebody there can advise you as to best choice.

Too bad you don't have an old can of Silvex.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H'Metal

Not really wanting to put my ignorance in world wide display but what does poison oak look like?
I've managed to avoid it or I'm not allergic to it.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Use the Brushy Wood type of Roundup

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by isaac

That was an interesting web site, Bob! smile

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2-4 -d watch the percent, the stuff we use we get at the local co-op is 48% but the 2-4-D from Home Depot was only 7. Add a ounce of dish soap per mixed gallon and the stuff sticks to the foliage better. Be sure the temperature is 70 degrees or better when applying.
Barnaville (SP) I hear from a rancher friend is better but it's about $80 a gallon and the 2-4-D is $20.
Go to a farm or ranch supply store to purchase.

Last edited by 700LH; 05/27/07.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You cannot buy a product that high in 2,4 d content without a permit. It is controlled now--not like it used to be--we used to buy Velpar without a permit now you have to have one.

The reason for the soap and it is not necessary as much as it once was (added to products now) is that a major contributor to soaps ability to clean by is to get under the dirt and lift it. This additive is called a surfactant, which breaks the surface tension of water allowing it to penetrate.

Last edited by Boss Hoss; 05/27/07.

NRA Life Member
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
We have found Garlon 4 to be very effective against poison oak. It is expensive, but goes a long ways. We use it against blackberries as well. For us, it is a bit more effective than 24D (which we use around new douglas fir seedlings). Also consider when to spray. We have found that we get the best kill when we spray in September. The plants (here at least) are getting ready for winter and are really pulling nutrients into the roots. We have had the leaves burned off of plants when sprayed in late spring, early summer but without killing the plant and it bounces back the next spring. I want to spray just once and kill the plant. We use Garlon specifically because it will not kill grass and leave a big bare spot which will result from the use of a Roundup type of spray.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
For brushy woody plants, a combination of 2-4D and Banvill is the ticket. Common premixed products include Weedmaster and Brash.

They each cost about 90 to 100 bucks for the 2 1/2 gallon size and the mix is 3 to 4 oz per gallon. So a 2 1/2 gallon jug of concentrate would last you and everyone else on your block about a hundred years.

Perhaps the yard and garden supply store might have some smaller containers of more dilute product. Much more expensive per oz, but more appropriate to the size of your yard.

I use a 2 1/2 gallon jug of Brash and a couple gallons of Round Up R/T super concentrate every year or two around my place. I am controlling bull, canadian, and scotch thistles, white top, plum trees, wild roses, willows, and blackberries in the pastures. As well as a jungle of Chinese elm which is trying to completely take over six acres on the north end of my place.

I use the Brash or the Weedmaster in the pastures very frequently. They are both great products and kill everything but the grass quite effectively.

Round Up will quite effectively kill everything it touches. You could spray the yard with Round-up and replant grass. Then apply Crovar when the grass is established to keep the Poison Oak from coming back.

Or you could apply Crovar now in combination with a broad leaf killer to prevent reinfestation as you kill off the poison oak.

Crovar ia a pre-emergent. It is mixed with many lawn weed-feed products and applied by the commercial lawn care businesses. It is also used on established agricultural crops. It does not harm the existing vegetation but prevents germination of new seed.

Perhaps the easiest way to gain access to the proper chemicals to effectively take care of the problem would be to call one of the Lawn Care professionals in your area.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 204guy, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,455 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,868
Posts18,517,974
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.