Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
jrypka Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
So, my son turns 7 in May, and I'd like to get him his first gun. What do you suggest?

So far all he has shot is a Daisy BB gun. He's not a big kid, but he tends to be a bit more on the more thoughtful side vs impulsive, which is good.

Do I go with an Air rifle? A .22LR? 410ga? Something else?

Thanks,

Jeff

Again. Again. Again. -H. Brooks.
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I suggest a Single action 22 revolver (Ruger wrangler) or bolt action rifle in 22 LR .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Savage Rascal . I'm extremely impressed with the one I got for the Mooselette.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Single shot .22 bolt action of some kind. Kids have been learning to shoot with one of those - and make each shot count - for a few generations now.

My Dad had me shooting one at 6, he'd load it and hand it to me to fire, and I was shooting in NRA Junior marksmanship programs at age 7. He kept the rifle and bolt separate but I could see it and handle it anytime I asked him so it wasn't some big forbidden fruit temptation.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
jrypka Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

My Dad had me shooting one at 6, he'd load it and hand it to me to fire, and I was shooting in NRA Junior marksmanship programs at age 7. He kept the rifle and bolt separate but I could see it and handle it anytime I asked him so it wasn't some big forbidden fruit temptation.

Oh, I like the idea of keeping the bolt and rifle separate, thanks for that.

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I suggest a Single action 22 revolver (Ruger wrangler) or bolt action rifle in 22 LR .

Any kind of a handgun is a bad idea. Much easier for a kid to cover part of their own body with a pistol.

Single shot bolt .22 LR for the win.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Any kind of a handgun is a bad idea. Much easier for a kid to cover part of their own body with a pistol.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Savage Rascal has been a winner at my house. Have two of them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Agree

Black Cows Matter!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I would give him a good quality .22. My father gave me a BL-22 when I was 10, 40 years ago. I still have it, treasure it, and hunt with it every year.

IC B3

J
jrypka Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thanks guys, really appreciate the insight. I note that no one mentioned an air rifle. That was my first gun as a kid, even though i was barely strong enough to give it 3 pumps. It was fun to plink with, but not really a hunting tool, and I graduated to a 22 when I was old enough to go for squirrels.

Anyone think 7 years old is too young for a 22? I think he can handle it mentally with good oversight and teaching, just curious what others have found.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by jrypka

Anyone think 7 years old is too young for a 22? I think he can handle it mentally with good oversight and teaching, just curious what others have found.

"Good Oversight" being the key. 7 year olds tend not to have a long attention span and forget teachings quickly.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
R
I've got a 6yr old and will be heading out soon with a Savage rascal.

I'd stick with a bolt action 22 sized appropriately for the kid.
Avoid the crickets the cocking lever is a pain. The rascal is light has decent adjustable peep sights and an accutrigger. Single shot with a load ramp size on the small side for smaller shooters. I think I picked it up for right around $110 with a rebate a year or two ago.
The other good option would be a CZ trainer rifle. Bigger size and weight but quality and would be usable significantly longer. I'll likely see about building a folding stock later to use the rascal as a pack rifle when my boys outgrow it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jrypka
So, my son turns 7 in May, and I'd like to get him his first gun. What do you suggest?

So far all he has shot is a Daisy BB gun. He's not a big kid, but he tends to be a bit more on the more thoughtful side vs impulsive, which is good.

Do I go with an Air rifle? A .22LR? 410ga? Something else?

Thanks,

Jeff
I'd be jhappy with the BB gun.....but an air rifle sounds like a reasonable step up.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Double post.

Last edited by Filaman; 02/07/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I stand by comment.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I too agree with this logic. Get a good bolt action rifle. A hand gun is not a good option for a 6-7 year old kid.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I'm not familiar with the cricket, or Rascal so I can't comment on them but I would get a good Remington bolt gun not too heavy or too long. But I don't personally prefer the extra small ones because he'll grow fast and be stuck with a too small gun. If it's a little big for him he'll soon grow into it. Right now he will probably be shooting off a bench while hes learning to shoot so a gun a little bigger won't be a bad option.

As for a shot gun, don't make that big mistake and get a .410. Get him a 20 gauge or better still a 28 gauge pump or even a single shot break open. A .410 is for experienced shooters not for kids.

Last edited by Filaman; 02/07/20.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yup. Especially not a Ruger Wrangler. I can't hit [bleep] with mine. And I'm usually a decent pistol shot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

This. No matter how mature a kid seems, it must always be remembered their brains and mental processing are not the same as an adult.

Around the age of 7 or so I think a rifle is best. Much harder to sweep himself and much easier for the adult to grab the barrel in the case of a momentary lapse in muzzle discipline.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1minute, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 3,062 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,968
Posts18,499,277
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.