Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Looking for some referrals of small outfitters in these areas. Prefer someone to show up show us the lay of the land and then turn us loose. Don’t need a lodge, don’t need a guide etc.

Leasing acreage not out of the question for right fit.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jwterry3
Looking for some referrals of small outfitters in these areas. Prefer someone to show up show us the lay of the land and then turn us loose. Don’t need a lodge, don’t need a guide etc.

Watching this thread. I could have interest in this type of hunt.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
SW GA here. I live in the heart of plantation country. I know of zero properties that would allow you to hunt on your own. I know of many plantations that would put you up in their lodge, set you out on a stand and pick you and your deer up later on.

What you're wanting....its just not done that way here. 99.9% of the land here is private, excepting the WMA's.

Leasing hunting rights here is near abouts impossible. It's all tied up. Thank God I have two spots to hunt.

Last edited by Godogs57; 02/08/20.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Ga. has an excellent Wildlife Management Area system. you can hunt mts. in the north part of the state, or,
the farther south you go ... flatter & even swamp land down around the Okefenokee.
as always the rut is earlier in the north part of the state.& hogs galore in the central & south.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Can't help with what you describe as far as an outfitter, there's no better area in Kentucky than the Land Between the Lakes. I've hunted there the past two years and seen loads of deer, took and 8pt. buck two years ago and a buck and a doe this past season harvesting both on the same day. Hunter success in this area is very high, the lodge I hunted out of has 100% success, only hunters not taking bucks were trophy hunters who didn't see bucks that met their criteria.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
There is plenty of public land in the northern 1/3 of the state; finding a place to hunt is easy. Mostly mountains with spotty deer populations. Black bear are relatively common and expanding and there are plenty of turkey during the spring. South of Atlanta I just don't know much about. It is mostly private and flat. Deer populations are pretty high with generous bag limits and long seasons. There are a lot more deer on private lands near agricultural areas than on the public land in the mountains. But the deer are not big here. I've never done it, but lots of people here go to Western Kentucky or other mid western states to kill big deer.

For those unfamiliar with public land in GA there are large patches of National Forest where hunting is allowed at any time during the hunting season. But there are also some large Wildlife Management Areas within some of that National Forest where hunting seasons are much shorter. Most of the WMA's are only open to hunting for a 3-5 day period, usually Wednesday through Saturday or Sunday. Typically they will have open dates at least 2-3 times during the Fall. Some require you to apply for a drawing to hunt.

I live within an hours drive of 7-8 WMA's and can hunt one of them pretty much every week during hunting season. But I have to check the regulations carefully to know which is open when. It can be confusing for those not used to it.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I am a good bit south of Atlanta (thank God) and most of the land is either privately owned and hunted or
leased for deer hunting. You would think our area is part of Florida during deer season. Anyway, you will
be limited in South Georgia to hunting on a plantation as described by Godogs57 or being invited to hunt
private land by the owner.

There is a LOT of deer down here but hunting areas will be tough to find without connections.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Western KY has the highest whitetail population of anyplace I've hunted over the last 50 + years, I have been well satisfied with the number of deer sightings whenever I've hunted that area.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Have leases around Albany and Hopkinsville. It's not impossible but damn sure not easy. Seeing people starting to give up their leases now due to the economy so you're looking at the right time. Have also been seeing outfitters running more specials than usual, lots to choose from in Western Kentucky and southern Illinois.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jwterry3

If Indiana is ok contact Phil Mize (812-343-3271): http://www.muscatatuckwhitetails.com/

PASS IT ON!
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Easiest thing to do will be go to GON forum and register and look for openings in clubs in Georgia.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,126 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,034
Posts18,481,928
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.