Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A family friend re-finished the stock on my dad's Win 88 back when they were younger and, let's just say, "less wise." It's a Pre-64 88 in .243 and the wood has some amazing character to it. Whatever he used, it ended up filling in a lot of the valleys of the checkering. Then he lacquered it it up something fierce and it's in there for good. Can I reverse these effects with anything that won't harm the wood itself? I'd like to strip it down to what it used to be, and then just use linseed oil or something like that to highlight the character in the wood.

Also, what are the correct front and rear sights for this gun? They were removed, and I'd like to get some correct ones to re-install.

Last edited by the444shooter; 02/24/20.

God Bless and Shoot Straight
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As for sights check out Numrich https://www.gunpartscorp.com/search#query=winchester%2088%20sights
I used Minwax with tung oil to refinish a couple of stocks.After existing finish is removed and sanded,all you do is wipe it on one coat at a time using cheese cloth.The finish comes out really nice and smooth like a factory finish.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by baldhunter; 02/24/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thank you--after I posted this, I read a little further down about selective finish removal. I think I'm going that route first, and then exactly like you said, a few coats of oil; yours looks great! As far as sights go, I tried numrich. I think it's going to be an ebay hunt.

Last edited by the444shooter; 02/24/20.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There is no need to put finish in the checkering... a coat of wax will do more and be 100% reversible.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
There is no need to put finish in the checkering... a coat of wax will do more and be 100% reversible.

My main hurdle is removing the existing finish from the checkering--I don't know WTH he used that gooped up in there so much.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by the444shooter

My main hurdle is removing the existing finish from the checkering--I don't know WTH he used that gooped up in there so much.

Trying to decipher that is a lose:lose proposition. Do not put any ugly crap in there and just get on with life...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Sorry I can't help, but I DID read and comprehend your original post.

Good luck.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks, guys. I think I'm going to try some of the Hormby's restorer to strip everything off of there, and possibly an exacto knife (painstakingly,) and then oil it up after everything dries.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks, guys. I think I'm going to try some of the Hormby's restorer to strip everything off of there, and possibly an exacto knife (painstakingly,) and then oil it up after everything dries.

Checkering tools are very cheap...

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

You should probably show it to someone good at going over the checking again.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by baldhunter
As for sights check out Numrich https://www.gunpartscorp.com/search#query=winchester%2088%20sights
I used Minwax with tung oil to refinish a couple of stocks.After existing finish is removed and sanded,all you do is wipe it on one coat at a time using cheese cloth.The finish comes out really nice and smooth like a factory finish.

Beautiful job.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Ditto jaguartx. If the finish is ok, rechecker by cutting the finish out of the original checkering. I've done it a bunch

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

I used paint stripper and an old toothbrush to get old finish out of the checkering....just go easy.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Source for "very cheap" checkering tools ?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by gunswizard

For only one job, you can get a handle for about $7 and a single line cutter for about $6,plus shipping from Brownells. Midway probably carries the same thing. Probably find some needle files and bent needle files at Home Depot for less than $15.Maybe even at Harbor Freight if you only want to do one stock.

With good light and patience a fellow can do a lot without specific tools unless he is real klutz.
From looking at the photo, it looks like the checkering ha s already been worked on, with the over runs an uneven lines.

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/06/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Like was said use a stripper to get the old finish off and a tooth brush to work it out of the checkering.

When you reapply finish, use a tooth brush in the checkering to keep it from pooling and building too thick in the checkering. After a coat or 2 I'd stop applying finish in the checkering and work on the rest of the stock.

Lots of ways to finish walnut and fill the grain.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by gunswizard

For only one job, you can get a handle for about $7 and a single line cutter for about $6,plus shipping from Brownells. Midway probably carries the same thing. Probably find some needle files and bent needle files at Home Depot for less than $15.Maybe even at Harbor Freight if you only want to do one stock.

With good light and patience a fellow can do a lot without specific tools unless he is real klutz.
From looking at the photo, it looks like the checkering ha s already been worked on, with the over runs an uneven lines.

He would probably need to take out a second mortgage...

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The question is about checkering tools, WTF are you talking about second mortgage?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I think Sitka Deer is referring to having the stock professionally recut. Jaguar mentioned that on 2-27.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ive used paint stripper a few times with varying success. With patience, I suceeded in removing Remington 's RKW finish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (338rcm, 1minute, 338reddog, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 69 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,481
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.