-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Ok,let's hear the story Stud Muffin!(grin).........<p>[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1497986&a=11300936&p=57038425[/img]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My, that is one handsome devil holding onto that deer (wink). I was hunting the day before Thanksgiving on an extended archery unit in Utah along the very populated benches (we call it snob hill, due to all the rich folks that inhabit the benches, and winter range). Anywho, I had spent the windy morning wearing out shoe leather high up on the granit peaks above town to get away from the road hunters. I hadn't seen a buck all day and started hiking down off the mountain back to the truck. I sat down and glassed a couple of brushy areas in and amongst the houses, when I spotted this guy laying under a tree in a 10 acre brush patch. My buddy new the guy that owned the land, but stated that he hated hunters. We both figured the buck was worth a knock on the door. After all, the guy could only say "no". The hard part was, we had to drive within 35 yards of the buck on the way to the guy's house to ask him. The buck was laying next to his private driveway. I drove off the road as I passed by the buck and nearly wrecked my truck. I tend to not watch where I am going when critters are around. I was shocked when the dude said it was okay to take the buck. We jumped back into the truck and had to drive past the buck AGAIN to get down wind of him. Remember, the wind was howling and I am shooting a bow. I knew I had to get close to keep the arrow from getting blown away. I stalked up behind the buck and I had to get past one more small bush in order to get the shot. I was at 18 yards and the buck had no idea I was there. I drew back and he cought the movement, jumped up and went to run, just as the arrow hit him on a quartering away shot. The arrow took both lungs and the buck collapsed 10 feet from where the arrow hit him. Needless to say, some hooping and yelling proceeded thereafter. He is 24" wide and sustained some damage to his antlers when he was in the velvet. He might have been hit by a car. I didn't care, I would rather be lucky than good, especially after such a pathetic year of hunting. This is the ONLY tag I had this year, and it was a great Thanksgiving. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Flinch, way to go! That's a nice one. I guess the hunt gods were toying with you when they made you walk all day then drive-stalk your deer! I'm glad the landowner said yes.<p>Jeff

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Thanks Flinch. That's a very nice, classic, old buck with odvious character. Odviously you know how to do that sort of thing. Great yarn ! E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I missed this one somehow!! Nice Muley! I thought they had better taste than to hang around such critters that would sneak up on them in the backyard hides and stick em with an arrow, I guess I was wrong he,he..<p>What kind of bow, arrows, broadheads were you using??<p>Congrats,<p>Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ROTR, I hope this doesn't offend someone on a rifle board [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] . I was shooting a PSE Fire Flight bow with a 31" draw, PSE over draw, XX75 2213 arrows cut to 27". I tipped them with Thunderhead 100 grain broud heads (love these heads and have taken many deer and bear with them). The arrow went clear through and exited the off shoulder. No bone was hit, somehow. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (Akhutr, 406_SBC, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,675 guests, and 781 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,464
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.