Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tahnka Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Just acquired a CZ550FS (Mannlicher stock) in 6.5x55. Beautiful gun and shoots extremely well. With the "European" styling, the stock has significant drop on the comb, it is designed rather for the irons than a scope, and to clear the bolt, the scope rings need to be medium height. (I prefer optics to be as close to the bore as possible).

I do not like elevating my cheek above the comb to achieve sight picture in the scope. Anybody else deal with this? Most leather cheek riser offerings I've seen are pretty stout and heavy leather: bulky and would not blend with the graceful gun. i have a leather-laced recoil pad of an older style and probably goatskin for my over/under shotgun, and with a riser pad on top that would be ideal, but unknown manufacturer.

Who's done this before? Thanks in advance for any pointers.

"I have always disliked the words 'authority' and 'expert' when applied to those who write about guns, shooting,and hunting. I have never set myself up as either."
Jack O'Connor
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use the elastic sleeves with foam inserts to raise the comb on low comb stocks.

While not particularly attractive, they are easy on and easy off, so you can take them off if you don't want to look at them when the rifle isn't in use.

I don't care for "hogback/Bavarian" style stocks either and think that the CZ 550FS stock design pales in comparison to the Husqvarna and Sako mannlicher style stocks.

Some versions of the Interarms Mark Xs with mannlicher style stocks came with butterknife style bolt handles that have a high lift and require medium height rings for the bolt handle to clear the ocular bell when you cycle the action. Since, like you, I like to mount my scopes low, I have replaced some of them with bolt handles from Brownells. I don't understand why anyone would build a stalking rifle with a design that prevented the rifle from hitting the shooter's shoulder with the scope aligned with the shooter's dominant eye.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Think if I had to make those alterations on a new gun I would find one that fit better from the git-go.

That said, I like mine as is wink

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Nice rifle - after buying a 550 Lux in 9.3x62, I've wanted a full stock 6.5x55 like yours. The only cheek risers I've used have been on M1A's, both nylon with foam inserts and kydex. I have the opposite problem due to wearing glasses that require me to keep my head more upright to keep from looking over the top of my lenses. Most modern stocks require me to use medium height rings when lows would work otherwise. My 550 Lux isn't the full stock, but has the same butt stock configuration as yours and it works well for me as is:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now this Mauser on the other hand, I struggle with due to too much drop requiring a chin weld and would be better as an open sighted rifle:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 52 invisible), 16,077 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,920
Posts18,539,019
Members74,051
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.