Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
My daughter and her hubby are expecting their 1st child ... what lock box should they get for their only handgun? My daughter was raised around firearms, went hunting with me a few times and knows how to load and clear all of mine and hers. When she was little I told her if she wanted to handle any of the firearms, just ask her mom or me. We then would let her handle the unloaded firearm of her choice BUT if we ever caught her trying to get to them without us ... she can count on getting a spanking!
This seemed to work, it took all of the mystery out of firearms. I was thinking about one with a finger combination lock to it. Because when kids grow up they are in to everything and would eventually find the key and I don't believe I would recommend one with anything to do with electronics but I'm not sure.

What have y'all found that works or don't work

GB1

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
They have a few years to decide before the little one is old enough to play with guns.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
What worked for me was the top of the china cabinet. It is recessed and high enough that it can't be seen even by an adult, but easily accessible. When I left the house it was always with me.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lippygoathead
... what lock box should they get for their only handgun? ... I was thinking about one with a finger combination lock to it. Because when kids grow up they are in to everything and would eventually find the key and I don't believe I would recommend one with anything to do with electronics but I'm not sure.

What have y'all found that works or don't work

First, I think it's important to confirm that we are talking only about a minimal level of security. All of the small gun "safes" or lock boxes that cost +/-$50 are only intended to do what you are talking about: Keep kids from playing with the gun. There's nothing wrong with that goal. Some folks will bash certain devices because they "aren't strong enough." So, yes, unless you're worried about Junior taking the safe/box out into the driveway and slamming it down on the cement repeatedly until it pops open, just about any safe/box is "good enough."

Second, Get one that meets your needs, given your goals and space limitations. Does the dad think it's important to have quick access to the firearm? If not, again, it really doesn't matter what you get. Go to Amazon or MidwayUSA and find one with good reviews that's in your price range that is set up like you want. As you know, some boxes open like a car door, where the door just swings toward you on hinges. Others lift up like a trap door in the floor (I think these are called "drawer safes.") I originally had a small safe with a traditional swinging door on my night stand, but soon found that I couldn't set anything in front of it if I wanted the door to open. For my available space, it wasn't a great choice. I now have a drawer safe there. Of course, the limitation with that style is that you can't set anything on the top of it, because it all has to be moved to open the door. But, that is less of a hassle for me, so that's what I use.

Third, as for the type of access mechanism, I agree that a key shouldn't be the access method. Knowing that I am not terribly smooth in an emergency, I don't want to have to locate a key and open a key when time/speed might be a factor. My box is electronic (accessed with a number code) with a key backup. My combination is extremely simple and uses only two buttons. I can easily punch in the code in the dark if need be. I avoided the rotating number dials due to not being able to unlock in the dark. If you're worried about a little one finding the key, lock it in the family safe where they keep their important papers. Or, put it in a place that inquisitive minds won't be looking (taped to the underside of a dresser drawer, inside the back of a picture frame, etc.) I test my safe about every 3 months and it gets a new battery every hunting season when I put fresh batteries in my flashlight in my pack, so I have never ever needed the key.

Lastly, make sure that it's big enough for the gun in question along with whatever else is going inside it (extra magazines, etc.) I've got a few of these types of safes, either at home or at work, and they tend to get small rather quickly!

Good luck!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
We have twin toddlers, and my wife and I recently went through this decision process. We ended up with this:

https://www.amazon.com/V-Line-Brute...ndgun+safe&qid=1584051324&sr=8-5

V-line Brute Handgun safe. I chose it for two primary reasons: first, it has a Simplex lock--no batteries or cheap electronics to fail or be shorted out by spills or dust-intrusion. Second, it is large enough to hold both my house gun (a Beretta 92G Centurion with a Streamlight TLR-1) and also my wife's house gun (a Beretta 92FS) and two spare magazines. It was not cheap, but I do not expect it to break and it is very fast to open--much faster than any of the fingerprint reader safes I tried. I have it bolted to the bottom of a nightstand that I built to accommodate it.

Here's a good video from Lucky Gunner covering this topic:

Last edited by Oregon45; 03/12/20.
IC B2

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Thanks for all the good information ... I want to get them a good safe now so it will become second nature to them before the kid grows up. As for the high hide-out, my daughter isn't that tall, the video was a great help and was more what I was looking for. My preference seems to be for the Fort Knox, V-Line and Shot Lock styled safes.

Thank y'all for taking the time for me... smile

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I have the Fort Knox. I purchased it after throwing away a cheaper unit with electronic lock that had a dead battery more often than not. The Fort Knox with the Simplex lock cannot be beat for reliability. Just set it with only 2 or 3 of the buttons in a simple code, it will keep the kids out and let you in.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

487 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 12344mag, 222ND, 1beaver_shooter, 44 invisible), 1,707 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,051
Posts18,521,250
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.