Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I don't know how many of you guys are blessed with a daughter with this much commonsense at 20 years old but I am.MB

Good work.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Give it two weeks.

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This still just a mild disease unless your immune is compromised. Media is full of lies. The flu will kill more people.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
Americans generally have better hygiene ( bathing every day ) , lower smoking rates , and we keep our distance. Our “personal space” that we keep is much larger than say Europe. I hate dealing with European space invaders. They give me the creeps.

Indeed. I was at the the grocery store last week and this old dot Indian bich behind me in line was almost up my azz. Had to tell her to take 3 steps back. I can't believe how all these foreigners think it’s just fine to crawl all over folks. Nasty!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

This is more deadly, percentage wise, than the flu, total numbers, the flu is in the lead.

Why isn't it bigger here? It's growing. But there are several factors:

1) Many, MANY will have it and not go to the doctor, depending on your immune system, you could have it and not know it, have mild symptoms, feel like crap for a couple days or get it really bad. Personally unitl I am at the "really bad" end, I don't tend to go to the doctor, there's no cure, in fact little a doctor can, or will, do until you are at the extreme end.

2) Social distancing. We, as a country, are distanced from the world. This is not big vacation to Europe/far east time of the year, so you need to have a reason to get people in the same area. That's work conferences and things like cruises, these were both identified and limited early on.

3) It has a 2 week incubation, so it takes a bit of time to build.

It's here, it's growing, but it PROBABLY won't become the epidemic it could have been. The steps taken will slow it and eventually kill it off.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Has anyone considered the folks over the winter that died from "pneumonia" but not tested or flu, or other virus, anything else, but were just diagnosed with a "cold" that moved to their lungs and gave them pneumonia............might just have had the Corona?

Having been diagnosed with bronchitis after having "a cold or the flu" without being tested, had it morphed into pneumonia, I'd likely not have been tested for the Corona either.

Another thing important to remember is our American standards of nutrition and general health. Lower numbers of smokers. Outside of some general obesity issues, the American citizen is generally pretty healthy. Others have mentioned here that some may have had it and recovered already, just because they were healthy enough to get through it.

It's here, it's likely to get worse (population wise), and the precautionary measures being instituted are designed to 'lower the curve' as some have said.

Just like in a farm moving sick animals to other areas, moving susceptible animals to uninfected areas, and using better hygiene for a while generally helps with the spread of communicable diseases. At least it did with the animals I worked with.

Last I checked, humans are still animals, right?

GEno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
3300 cases in a population of 330,000,000.
One thousandth of one percent infected.
71 deaths as of noon Monday.
More people have died from texting while driving during this 'emergency'.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
some general obesity issues

That is very kind of you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fugawe
3300 cases in a population of 330,000,000.
One thousandth of one percent infected.
71 deaths as of noon Monday.
More people have died from texting while driving during this 'emergency'.

At what number should we start taking action to prevent the spread.

W
wbm Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Some CDC stats..they will change as Covid-19 progresses but so far:

80.9% of infections are classified as mild, 13.8% as severe and 4.7% as critical.
The highest fatality rate is for people aged 80 and older, at 14.8%.
For children up to 9, there have been no fatalities and up to the age of 39, the death rate remains low at 0.2%.
For the next age groups, the fatality rates increase gradually: For people in their 40s it is 0.4%, in their 50s it is 1.3%, in their 60s it is 3.6% and their 70s it is 8%.
Looking at the sex ratio, men are more likely to die (2.8%) than women (1.7%)

Last edited by wbm; 03/16/20.
IC B3

W
wbm Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Covid-19 Hysteria

One of the current problems is that Covid-19 is being compared to what is called "regular or normal flu season". The resulting data comparison makes Covid-19 look apocalyptic.

How about we pick another season. 2009 and H1N1....That seasonal comparison puts things in an entirely different light.

"H1N1 caused nearly 10,000 deaths in the United States in an outbreak that has infected about 50 million Americans" government health officials (CDC) said Thursday.

Through mid-October H1N1 infected 22 million Americans and killed 4000.

Deaths as of mid-November included about 1,100 children and 7,500 younger adults", said Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Can you imagine what the reaction would be from national media tomorrow if the statistics of Covid-19 were the same today?

My point and what I mean by "hysteria"? We had a Pandemic in 2009-10 that so far was way more dangerous than the one we are currently facing. That may change in time but we did not experience the economic collapse and social panic we are currently seeing. Why? Who knows!

Covid-19 pandemic has less than 5000 victims and fewer than 100 deaths in the U.S. so far yet it is causing a market selloff that will be catastrophic and potentially much longer lasting than the pandemic. Why? Who knows. But statistical comparisons certainly offer no answer....something else is going on!

Last edited by wbm; 03/16/20.
W
wbm Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
There are no Covid-19 cases in Beaufort County South Carolina. So. I go to Walmart to get tires...what a debauch! No water, no toilet tissue or paper towels no hand cleaners of any kind, food shelves were stripped the same as when hurricane Matthew was approaching. I did not need any of those things but as I watched people leaving with baskets piled high with who knows what I thought "damn people get a grip." County School closures, public meeting cancellations as of Monday added to the panic. Just watched Fox Business...big block letters "CORONA VIRUS 3700 CASES RETAILERS CLOSING STORES. Meanwhile back in New York the DOW is acting like it hit an iceberg and going down like the Titanic. This is just freaking unreal nuts people!

And to top it all off! County public "heath officials" are now suggesting that because I am over 65 I should consider self-isolation for the next month. Nah. Salt water fishing season is going to ramp up soon...fish don't carry Covids....well not yet anyway. Hope bait and tackle stores remain open...but considering the current insanity ya never know.

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs." Hope more begin to show up Rudyard but so far it ain't looking very promising.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
wbm,

better stock up on all the bait you can.............in case "they" order the bait stores closed.

If you don't use it, perhaps when they are closed and others want to go fishin', you can barter for something you do need with those that are fully stocked.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wbm
Covid-19 Hysteria

One of the current problems is that Covid-19 is being compared to what is called "regular or normal flu season". The resulting data comparison makes Covid-19 look apocalyptic.

How about we pick another season. 2009 and H1N1....That seasonal comparison puts things in an entirely different light.

"H1N1 caused nearly 10,000 deaths in the United States in an outbreak that has infected about 50 million Americans" government health officials (CDC) said Thursday.

Deaths as of mid-November included about 1,100 children and 7,500 younger adults", said Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Can you imagine what the reaction would be from national media tomorrow if the statistics of Covid-19 were the same today?

My point and what I mean by "hysteria"? We had a Pandemic in 2009-10 that so far was way more dangerous than the one we are currently facing. That may change in time but we did not experience the economic collapse and social panic we are currently seeing. Why? Who knows!

Covid-19 pandemic has less than 5000 victims and fewer than 100 deaths in the U.S. so far yet it is causing a market selloff that will be catastrophic and potentially much longer lasting than the pandemic. Why? Who knows. But statistical comparisons certainly offer no answer....something else is going on!

If we did nothing to stop the spread, where would we end up with Covid fatalities? If we had taken aggressive measures to stop the spread of H1N1, what would the fatality numbers have been? In terms of resources required and duration, can you compare those who were in critical condition due to H1N1 and those who are critically ill with Covid?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Originally Posted by Valsdad
some general obesity issues

That is very kind of you.

Yep,

kind ol' Geno....................

Don't ask my wife, she thinks I'm a grump.

Oh, in general, we Americans have plenty of good food to eat, and enjoy doing so..............therefor the "general obesity" comment.

Geno

PS, I'm quite near the obesity margin, maybe slightly over it after the holidays. Still trying to work that 10 lbs off.

PPS going out to shovel off the 3.5" of snow we got over night. That'll burn some calories! ANd give the lungs a workout.

In it is contentment

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
This still just a mild disease unless your immune is compromised. Media is full of lies. The flu will kill more people.

Only if the flu is more contagious.

Tarquin
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by wbm
There are no Covid-19 cases in Beaufort County South Carolina. So. I go to Walmart to get tires...what a debauch! No water, no toilet tissue or paper towels no hand cleaners of any kind, food shelves were stripped the same as when hurricane Matthew was approaching. I did not need any of those things but as I watched people leaving with baskets piled high with who knows what I thought "damn people get a grip." County School closures, public meeting cancellations as of Monday added to the panic. Just watched Fox Business...big block letters "CORONA VIRUS 3700 CASES RETAILERS CLOSING STORES. Meanwhile back in New York the DOW is acting like it hit an iceberg and going down like the Titanic. This is just freaking unreal nuts people!

And to top it all off! County public "heath officials" are now suggesting that because I am over 65 I should consider self-isolation for the next month. Nah. Salt water fishing season is going to ramp up soon...fish don't carry Covids....well not yet anyway. Hope bait and tackle stores remain open...but considering the current insanity ya never know.

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs." Hope more begin to show up Rudyard but so far it ain't looking very promising.

I think the difference is that CV-19 is many times more lethal than the flu and just as contagious, if not more so.

Tarquin
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by wbm
Covid-19 Hysteria

If we did nothing to stop the spread, where would we end up with Covid fatalities? If we had taken aggressive measures to stop the spread of H1N1, what would the fatality numbers have been? In terms of resources required and duration, can you compare those who were in critical condition due to H1N1 and those who are critically ill with Covid?

"had" or "hadn't" taken aggressive measures?

I ask, as compared to Covid-19, IMHO VERY aggressive measures were taken to stop H1N1. Remember all those 2009 H1N1 flu shots that were distributed for the 09-10 flu season?

Now, just how many have been inoculated against Covid-19?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
[quote]This still just a mild disease unless your immune is compromised. Media is full of lies. The flu will kill more people.quote]

Irrelevant.

Our health care system is set up to deal with the flu every year. This virus is much more easily transmitted and requires even more aggressive treatment. When you add just a few more Corona Virus cases in hospitals along with the ones with the flu and other ailments our hospitals aren't equipped to handle it. When people start showing up in emergency rooms from car crashes or heart attacks and there is no room or supplies to deal with it some of you will start to figure it out.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
That, and also H1N1 was just a revisitation of Spanish Flu 1918. So there was some herd resistance to a strain which had been extant for 90 years.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

220 members (1OntarioJim, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 320090T, 257 roberts, 3dtestify, 21 invisible), 1,160 guests, and 959 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,093
Posts18,522,161
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.