Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
Hi, i'm new on this forum. I'm about to buy a savage 99, takedown, steel shotgun butt, 30-30 caliber with brass rotary system. Straight grip, made in 1920 (Refering savage site.Can someone give me an upraisal please. Also, it seems that the rotary system is somehow defective because it works good only with the 2 first bullets. After, with the 3 others, the mechanism seems to be tired and does not expel properly the bullets. I remember reading somewhere that it might only need a spring rewinding or something like that.

petergun

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any pictures????

Mike...

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
P
OP Offline
P
Not already. What would you like to see, i could try to describe it for you. It has no dent on the forearm. The safety is a little metal piece tha you push toward the lever. It has a "jack" type front sight.
Peter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You really need to get some pictures. They would be very helpful!! It is very difficult to help you without them!!

Mike...

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
oh balls.. yep you can fix the feedin prob with the spring small adjusts work best. look around and insure it for what they sell for on the net. good luck ctw.

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
IC B2

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks. I'm trying to get some pics on the site right now.

Petergun

Last edited by petergun; 06/03/07.
P
OP Offline
P
Since i don't have a web page, it seems that i can't send any pics.

Petergun

P
OP Offline
P
I forgot, the serial # is 2258xx

P
OP Offline
P
I just notice that the serial# is identical on the forearm and the case. There is also a "c" on the lever, but it's not a clip model. I wonder what type it is (eg etc..)

Petergun

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Petergun
Welcome. As CTW said Ya Can Fix the Feeding Problem.
Also as Far as Prices Check the Net and Compare Like G.B> or A.A.
If Ya Post Pics SOme onee Will give Ya a Price Roughly on your P.M.
Steve

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They are asking for photos because you have only supplied enough information to narrow the choices to about four models. Barrel length and pistol or straight grip would help. Am I correct that your barrel has a dovetailed front sight vs. an intergal sight base?

It sounds like your rotor has been worked on(?) and was not rewound enough. Hold the rotor from the front of the receiver, then remove the small headed screw on the left side of the receiver. Wind the rotor some more and put the screw back in. If you get it to tight you will have problems charging the magazine with enough rounds. Go slow...three hands helps. grin

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
He said it was straight grip, so ..

1899A with t/d option if it's a 26" barrel
1899A short rifle with t/d option or 99D if it's got a 22" barrel
99B if it's got a 24" barrel
99F if it's got a 20" barrel

That's ignoring whether the barrel has been cut. Whew..

You owe us pictures, tho. grin

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks,

It is a dovetail sight(front). The rear sights looks more like the marble sight, with some parts missing. There is a slot in the middle of it without the part that would raise it up. I mesured from the receiver (do i have to mesure with the treads? cause i didn't) to the end of the barrel and it's 21 inches long. It was manufactured in Utica. Schnoble forearm. No checkerings anywhere. It has 2 little screws (one inch between)on top of the receiver(behind the pin). Does it mean that it is tapped?

As for yhe pics, it's just that i can't figure out how to put them on the forum for you to see.

Refering to Steve, i don't understand what "G.B" , "A.A." and "P.M." mean. Sorry, i'm french from canada. I try to do my best following up with you guys.

Rick, do i need a special tool?. Do i hold the rotor with pliers? I hope i don't look stupid, but i don't want to break it or something, since it's a classic, i don't have parts (if i break it) and it's not mine yet. Once i hold it, do i rewind the rotor from the top of the receiver?

Thanks again for the infos. I really really appreciate it.

Petergun

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
petergun,

Check the stickies under Misc. goog info. There's help poeting pictures and with rotor adjustment. And welcome.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

P
OP Offline
P
Hi,

I don't understand what "stickies" and "Misc. goog infos" mean. Do i find that on the web somewhere or is it on this site?

Sorry

Petergun

P
OP Offline
P
Hi again,

Forget the last note i sent. I found the informations. Thanks a lot again

Petergun

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
It's at the top of the Savage Collectors page. It's the 5th post down from the top. Now I hope you got thick skin cause I'm gonna tell you something my Uncle always told my mother. Now you gotta understand that my father's side of the family was Scotts aand my mother was about as much French Canadian as you can get with all the stubborness you can imagine. My Uncle used to say, "You can always tell a Frenchman, but you can never tell them nothing." grin grin grin

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Then I guess you can disregard ALL of my last post as well. smile smile grin grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kind of sounds like we are down to this one... "1899A short rifle with t/d option..."

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

P
OP Offline
P
Hi,

Thanks for the infos. Finally, i think that $125.00 (canadian) is a good price!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (204guy, 12344mag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,863
Posts18,517,866
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.