Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
gzig5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Does anyone carry a 5" 1911 or other large pistol either crossdraw or IWB cross? Not many holsters available but it seems like it would be a good method. What am I missing? I've got a bad shoulder which makes drawing from RH hip IWB difficult. I've also got a Shield 45 that is a little smaller, but I much prefer my 1911. Currently using an Alien Gear ShapeShift 4.0.

GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Very few would want an IWB cross draw, just too hard to get at for most of us. If I had to do something like that I'd rather draw with my left hand & then place the gun in my right hand.

Dick

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Me...since the 70s...

Carry a Commander just behind the left hip butt forward. But I've also carried everything from a snubbie to a 6.5" 29 there.

Generally I draw with the left hand and pass it to the right. I can also draw with the right hand from both the front and back. Also have learned to shoot left handed. Makes it real easy to draw when sitting or seat belted in.

Holsters...now a REMORA. Super comfortable and easily adjusted. No belt clip style and it has never come out with the gun. Have them for 3" J, 4" N, 3" K and Glock 19.

Before that I used a Bianchi #6 swede IWB holster.

Is it the fastest draw...no...but very secure and if you are paying attention to your surroundings the gun will be in your hand well before the fight starts...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
G
gzig5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Idaho1945
Very few would want an IWB cross draw, just too hard to get at for most of us. If I had to do something like that I'd rather draw with my left hand & then place the gun in my right hand.

Dick

I guess I wasn't totally clear in my description. The intention would be for the pistol to be in front of the hip. At about the 9:30 -10:00 area. Obviously easier with a smaller gun. I stumbled on the IWB version looking for a more standard cross-draw holster.

Attached Images
s-l1600.jpg (51.11 KB, 187 downloads)
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by RJM
Me...since the 70s...

Carry a Commander just behind the left hip butt forward. But I've also carried everything from a snubbie to a 6.5" 29 there.

Generally I draw with the left hand and pass it to the right. I can also draw with the right hand from both the front and back. Also have learned to shoot left handed. Makes it real easy to draw when sitting or seat belted in.

Bob

Ouch. You obviously haven't had as many shoulder operations as me... smile

IC B2

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...yea I have.... Tore one of the muscles in my upper arm and have only gotten about 30% strength back and at the same time rotator cuff surgery...

How and where you carry it will totally depend on your build....

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by RJM
...yea I have.... Tore one of the muscles in my upper arm and have only gotten about 30% strength back and at the same time rotator cuff surgery...

Still got ya beat (I'm not bragging). Two complete reverse replacements. I couldn't get my right arm that far behind my back if my life depended on it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have had five back surgeries and have a badly torn left rotated cuff. The cane currently needs to be in my left hand.

I've been carrying a LW Commander in a OWB Master's Crossdraw purchased through Optics Planet for about eight months. It works very well with a heavy gun belt to support it. The leather and craftsmanship is plenty good enough to try the rig out to see if it works for you. When it gets well used and no longer provides the security needed I will replace it with a custom rig.

With a light cover shirt all anybody sees is a crippled old dude. I see no reason that it would not work with a full size all steel 1911.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Trained in strong side, but prefer and very often carry crossdraw especially for revolvers and IWB CC.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes, cross draw in a Desert Gun Leather holster, my LB 1911 5 inch rides comfortably just inside my one bottom buttoned suit/sport coat when going to church with Mom and Wife, I would never attempt IWB cross draw.

Trump Won!
IC B3

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by RJM

Still got ya beat (I'm not bragging). Two complete reverse replacements. I couldn't get my right arm that far behind my back if my life depended on it.

..yea, this is one of those contests no one want to win...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I carry a 5" 10mm 1911 in a Bianchi 111 Cyclone crossdraw holster when working at the deer lease and when hunting. It has a quick release thumb snap strap that eliminates the possibility of dropping the gun while working or dragging a deer. I've tried a couple of others, but the Cyclone works best for me.

Midway has them on sale at the moment too.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1336140758

Edit to add that the strap allows cocked and locked carry.

Last edited by Seven_Heaven; 03/27/20.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I’m a fan of cross draw but not IWB.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RJM
...How and where you carry it will totally depend on your build....

Aint that the truth?!

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Didn't Milt Sparks make a cross draw holster, NOT IWB, several years ago?? I do not know if they still make it. Hard to go wrong with Milt Sparks holsters.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJM
Me...since the 70s...

Carry a Commander just behind the left hip butt forward.

Do I have this right?

You’re right handed, but carry on your left side.

Your pistol is butt forward for a cross draw, but you draw it out backwards with your left hand.

But after drawing it with your left hand you then pass it to your right hand and shoot.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

OP

Would it be possible to use a right hand IWB holster with an adjustable clip and move the clip enough in position on your belt to accommodate the cross draw effect you are looking for ???

I have a couple of Western type slim jim crossdraw holster for some Vaqueros that make riding in a truck or on a horse more comfortable and like the idea that you are searching for.

G
gzig5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
The Alien Gear shapeshift holster I'm using now doesn't look like it will adjust enough to work as IWB on the left side but I haven't tried the OWB options yet.

G
gzig5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
A bit of an update. I bought an IWB crossdraw from a guy on ebay (charley1954) out of San Antonio, TX. He makes several different styles of holsters for several different guns. They are relatively simple but very inexpensive. His listing for 1911 IWB cross-draw were limited to 3.5" Officer and 4.25" Commander size, but I pinged him and he made me one for a full size 5" gun at no extra charge. I've been very pleased with it. I recently got a Commander size Ronin and while it fit fine, doesn't make sense to have 3/4" of extra holster. So today I ordered another one to fit the new Ronin. Price has gone up $1 in the last two years to $32 but I can handle that. I've been able find a certain location such that I don't even know it is there, especially if I have a pair of suspenders on to help with the weight, so driving or working outside is a non-issue and it is easier to get to.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've carried a 1911 about every way possible in about as many different holster designed as you have fingers, & the very best way (outside of a shoulder rig, which is extremely limiting for wardrobe options), is a fairly minimalist AIWB holster with a 4/4.25" barrel lightweight framed gun.

I used a TXC for a G-19 for awhile as the options for a AIWB 1911 are limited, then found a Cascadia for a 5" that the manufacturer modified for me for a 4.25" barrel.

It is the most comfortable & accessible option I've found...........you literally forget it's there, especially with a lightweight framed gun.

Sitting or riding in a car is absolutely no problem.

MM

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,006
Posts18,500,101
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.