-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I was wanting to put my fixed 4 power scope on my model 336 for bear hunting season. The rifle is tapped (has screwsin the holes).....what mount or base would I need? The scope is a Bushnell, if that matters.
Thanx...

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This 444 has a Weaver one piece rail with Warne mounts. Works as good as any..........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

2muchgun is making a really good suggestion....for once.
I have a Marlin 336 with that mount/base setup and a 3x scope. Works very well indeed.

Sorry, 2much, I couldn't help myself,

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Okay, I see how it is..........grin

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanx guys, so all I'd do is undo the screws, put on the base rail, screw it on, put on the rings then add the scope? Is it that easy or am I missing anything. Newbie here, all the help is very usefull.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are a vast number of rings on the market that fit said rail. All install in a different manner. Make sure you degrease the insides of the rings before you mount the scope. Let us know what kind of rings you get, and I'm sure myself or numerous others would be happy to help.......

POP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use weaver rings and bases for quick removal and use of open sites. Works very well!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I like the weaver bases as well although I prefer the looks of the 2 piece bases.

One other note. When removing the factory filler screws, apply some Kroil or other penetrating oil and use a scredriver that fits. It's very easy to screw up the small slotted head on the filler screws and end up with a stuck screw.

Weagle

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

+1 Weagle is correct.

Also, Weaver rings are great, however, they are very difficult sometimes. The older ones tighten on one side and rotate the scope tube as they are tightened and change the alignment of the scope. It can be an exercise in frustration. Once everything is in place it will stay forever. Maybe not that long but it makes a solid mount.

Jim

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm using the rail with a weaver k2.5 on see through mounts. Sits up a bit high, but you get used to it.

I didn't understand a word you said, but whatever it was I'm right there with you.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I also degrease the holes, the mount screws, everything. Some rings that fit the weaver style base have windage adjustment, meaning that you have to tighten the clamps on both sides of the ring when attaching to the base. On these it is helpful to make sure the rings are lined up with each other left to right, so you will not put a kink in the scope. You can line them up with a 1" steel rod or a set of alignment bars that you can get from Midway or Brownells. They are worth buying if you will be mounting more scopes in the future.
There are many more tips that others would have...you could do a search on this forum.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the scope on a lever gun as low as posible.
Not only does it work better it looks better.

[Linked Image]

Pat

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned.
When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot."
_ Mark Twain
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like the Weaver base on Marlins with their 4x4 rings. Be careful torquing the screws especially if you use alloy rings and/or bases.

"Hunting in the wilderness is of all pastimes the most attractive" Teddy Roosevelt 1893

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am now using an older El Paso Weaver V4.5 scope on my .35 Remington Marlin 336 RC. The mount is a Weaver tip off, and the rings are part of the mount, and are steel.
This is a well made mount, and returns faithfully to Zero after being tipped off to the side. The front sight is a Lyman Ivory Bead, and the rear is a marbles. They are usable with the scope tipped to the left.

Scope tipped over
[Linked Image]

Scope in normal position
[Linked Image]

Sam......

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've tried the Warn Base, the Weaver base, and the Redfield base. I've decided the Weaver base works best for me. I've also tried the various rings and don't like the weaver because of the tendency to scratch the scope as well as turn it. I've tried various weaver style rings and like the Millet style the best. Over all I like the Warn Rings, but the Leupold QRW rings in Low are my favorites. They keep the scope close to the rifle and it comes off easy with out a coin or screwdriver and it's nice to be able to have sights when I want them.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have Talley quick detachable rings and bases and a Talley slip on peep sight to go with it...I use a 3X Leupold.

A low power scope of 2.5 to 3X is best for the 30-30 type calibers as they are not long range guns and the field of view is most important for snap shots.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I mounted a Leupold M8 4x33mm on my 336 in leupold extra low rings on a weaver one piece base. Got bench groups down to about 1 to 1-1/2" with 35 Rem Hornady Leverevolution. Problem was that I had trouble finding deer in the scope from a tree stand. Waved the rifle around on an unsupecting doe until she busted me. Lighting was good. Had a nice buck lope right by my stand (within 20 yards) and couldn't find him in the scope. He finally stopped about 70 yards from where I would have shot him and I was able to deliver the goods - at last. I have since changed to a Bushnell 3200 3x9x40. I'm thinking I need some type of slip on cheek rest to get my eye aligned with the scope. Those Hornadys really knock them down - when you can find them :-).

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (300_savage, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,700 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,470
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.