Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Hey all,

I'm bored as hell being stuck at home (like all of us) and have been spinning on what to do with an old Ruger MK II 30-06 barrel I have. I took it off and converted the old package into a semi-custom 35 Whelen, which I love. But, I have this barrel sitting in my safe and, for some reason, I really want to get it back in action. My thoughts were to just try to buy an action and fit it back into one of the (2) stocks I have for it. But I've read the posts about reboring it, and that got me thinking, but I'm not sold on that process. I don't want to sell the barrel if I don't have to. I'd like to get it back on a hunting rifle as I've taken some very nice animals with it and it has some setimental value. So, what are some options you all might consider? I'm happy to hear all thoughts, suggestions or advice as this is kind of new to me.

Thanks, in advance.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Average hunter and shooter----- has a rifle that needs a part------ buys a part to have a complete rifle

Rifle Looney----- has a rifle part----- buys a rifle to add his part to have a complete rifle

I'm in the same boat.

I would keep an eye out for a MKII that has a ravaged stock and/or barrel, that is for sale cheap. Or, buy a MKII in 243 or another small caliber and build a switch barrel rifle. One of these options if you cannot find a complete MKII action. RJ

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Honestly, it doesn't really make sense to build a rifle with a takeoff factory barrel. By the time you find an action and have a Smith screw it on, I bet you'll exceed the cost of a new one and not get ANY performance benefit.

I'd send it down the road cheap and move on.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Roger that. Thanks fellas. I spent some time looking around for actions and or cheaper rifles and really found nothing that makes sense cost wise. I’ll look for a little while longer, but it appears that this little project might not be worth it at the moment.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Nothing wrong with dreaming.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Rebore to 9.3x62mm and find an action to attach it to and go forth and slay beasts

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I really like that round. Not too terribly familiar with the reboring process, but I have seen lots of posts about JES doing a good job, so I may eventually go that route. For whatever reason, I just want to make a project out of this thing work out. So, I appreciate the thoughts and insight.

Last edited by Montagna; 04/12/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably the same as I do with old tires, old shocks, old batteries..

wink

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Haaaa.

I am totally aware of the fact that a new rifle or a new barrel is a better idea. I think, maybe, the appeal of this to me is that it is going to be a project. It would be easy to buy a new one, or order a new action/barrel/stock, etc. Making something out of this, and keeping the costs realistic is the goal. Just something to do. And, as I am still learning this stuff, it is helpful to get opinions or advice from you all on it. Thanks again for the thoughts so far.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Will a MKII barrel fit a tanger? I might be interested in buying it. Like you, I don't REALLY need to change things..., but.

PM sent.

PS- I have several used Ruger wood stocks, that I swapped out for synthetics for customers decades ago. I think they were all tangers, and I think they were all off 7Mag or .338s. Might need some barrel channel filling if so, and if you might could use one if you rebuild.

Last edited by las; 04/12/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Responded to your PM. Honestly, I don't know whether the barrel will fit the tanger perfectly. Can't think of why it wouldn't but I don't want to guess wrong.

Last edited by Montagna; 04/12/20.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
338-06?

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Tomato stake? smile

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Want a project? Get a Turkish K.Kale action, rethread the barrel and screw it on.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
30/06 Ackley Improved? 30 Gibbs? Should fit just fine on any 77, but notice I said FIT, meaning you might have to lathe turn the shoulder and barrel face a touch. Anyone with a few thousand bucks worth of lathe, tooling and know how ought to be able to do that in a jiffy.
I learned how to chamber, thread, fit barrels on Ruger 77s, R (tang) models and Mark II’s. They are about as easy.as it gets.

Last edited by Alaninga; 04/15/20.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Good thoughts. Thanks fellas.

The tomato stake idea is intriguing. Ha.

N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
Every body says tomato stake but there way to short for tomato stakes.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1234, 54 invisible), 3,172 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,665
Posts18,534,104
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.