Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
308cal Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Ok, quick question, how do you tell the difference in a McMillan KS stock, and a McMillan Mountain Rifle stock?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
KS will have a blind mag base, ADL type, KS barrel channel will be inbetween a Mtn Rifle and a Sporter Barrel channel, KS will only be long action.

will think somemore..

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Checkering. MR has it, KS doesn’t.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by GeoW
KS will have a blind mag base, ADL type, KS barrel channel will be inbetween a Mtn Rifle and a Sporter Barrel channel, KS will only be long action.

will think somemore..

g

There are a handful of KS SA take-offs floating around ... but they are scarce!
If the MR is adl the area where the floor plate would normally go is a pronounced flat spot. The KS is nicely rounded.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Does the KS have a more open grip?

IC B2

308cal Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
What about a KS stock straight from McMillan, and not a takeoff?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by mathman
Does the KS have a more open grip?

Almost imperceptible, but yes. Very similar but it is *slightly* more open.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 308cal

Pretty much everything stated so far. Definitely won’t be SA as those molds were destroyed after the short run per Dick.
The KS is also ~ 1” longer in the forend than the MR.

If it was ordered from McMillan, barrel channel can be anything specified by the customer, including MR. Are you wondering about the one on the Ti the classifieds? It’s a KS ...

Last edited by AKwolverine; 04/15/20. Reason: ac
308cal Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Pretty much everything stated so far. Definitely won’t be SA as those molds were destroyed after the short run per Dick.

If it was ordered from McMillan, barrel channel can be anything specified by the customer, including MR. Are you wondering about the one on the Ti the classifieds? It’s a KS ...

A buddy was looking at this one on eBay, it looks like a mountain rifle stock, but no checkering, and I’m almost positive the mountain rifle stock doesn’t come in a lefty.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324134104411

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

A buddy was looking at this one on eBay, it looks like a mountain rifle stock, but no checkering, and I’m almost positive the mountain rifle stock doesn’t come in a lefty.

Not a KS looks like a mountain rifle pattern with a bigger barrel contour

IC B3

308cal Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Not a KS looks like a mountain rifle pattern with a bigger barrel contour

Like AKwolverine said, if you order from McMillan, you can get the barrel contour in pretty much what you want. Also like someone else said, the mountain rifle stock has checkering, and also the mountain rifle stock doesn’t come in LH.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
308cal,
The pictures are horrible on the eBay link but it certainly looks like it could be a LH KS. Hard to say 100% without better pics but that would be my leaning.

Last edited by AKwolverine; 04/16/20. Reason: Reread ad; seller stated maybe sendero
308cal Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
308cal,
The pictures are horrible on the eBay link but it certainly looks like it could be a LH KS. The seller stated he opened the bbl channel. Hard to say 100% without better pics but that would be my leaning.

I agree pics are horrible, I was just applying what you said and what I’ve gathered doing research in the last day or so.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
308cal,
The pictures are horrible on the eBay link but it certainly looks like it could be a LH KS. The seller stated he opened the bbl channel. Hard to say 100% without better pics but that would be my leaning.

I agree pics are horrible, I was just applying what you said and what I’ve gathered doing research in the last day or so.

I think you are correct. I looked at the add again and see that the seller stated it “could” be a sendero profile; initially I was thinking he opened it to that. My best guess is it is a LH KS off of a mag KS. Remington’s designation for the KS was “Remington 700 Custom KS mountain rifle” so that may well be why the seller labeled it as he did.

308cal Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
308cal,

I think you are correct. I looked at the add again and see that the seller stated it “could” be a sendero profile; initially I was thinking he opened it to that. My best guess is it is a LH KS off of a mag KS. Remington’s designation for the KS was “Remington 700 Custom KS mountain rifle” so that may well be why the seller labeled it as he did.

It’s a smokin deal regardless, for the listed price.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
308cal,

It’s a smokin deal regardless, for the listed price.

Indeed it was. Did your buddy get it?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,779 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,414
Posts18,528,194
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.