Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
The 110 is a great rifle, but it's heavy.

Video still doesn't tell the reasoning or logic behind selecting the HK.

MM

When a federal contract is awarded, the government cannot disclose who "lost."

It's illegal and they'd have to pay out the ass after the inevitable lawsuit.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by deflave

MM

It can be deduced by who entered the competition.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by UPhiker

MM

It can be deduced by who entered the competition.

The government can't disclose who entered the competition.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well if a M14 wasn’t entered then these gd trials were a farce! M14 greatest battle rifle ever..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I don't understand why the military keeps complaining about weapons not having enough range while they keep shortening the barrels?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess for shooting 600 yards and in, a 308 is just fine. it just seems like such a horrendously boring choice. I think everyone would agree if the slate was clean and they were choosing from scratch the 308 would not even be in the top 5. Something 6.5 would have considerably less recoil and have just as much downrange energy. another thought is could there be a way to go to just one cartridge. one that serves the needs of the average grunt but yet can flex into the DMR role. I don't know the answer. We as average joes can dream up lots of cartridges that have a lot more performance. but if you look at a bore scope, the barrels of the ones with the extra performance have considerable cracking and bore degradation. look at a 223 after a whole lotta rounds and its pretty clear the differences. barrels are cheap and perhaps the armorers need something to do and since its an AR a barrel change is cake. but I don't know how much shooting volume your average DMR gun is seeing.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I guess for shooting 600 yards and in, a 308 is just fine. it just seems like such a horrendously boring choice. I think everyone would agree if the slate was clean and they were choosing from scratch the 308 would not even be in the top 5. Something 6.5 would have considerably less recoil and have just as much downrange energy. another thought is could there be a way to go to just one cartridge. one that serves the needs of the average grunt but yet can flex into the DMR role. I don't know the answer. We as average joes can dream up lots of cartridges that have a lot more performance. but if you look at a bore scope, the barrels of the ones with the extra performance have considerable cracking and bore degradation. look at a 223 after a whole lotta rounds and its pretty clear the differences. barrels are cheap and perhaps the armorers need something to do and since its an AR a barrel change is cake. but I don't know how much shooting volume your average DMR gun is seeing.

I was kinda wondering how a retard would view this.

Thanks.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Glad they went .308 instead of that 80,000 psi .277 deal.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

PSA, DPMS, name one, or two.

There are much better companies out there than those two. LMT, KAC, DD...

You missed the point.

What makes them better?
Price?
Reputation? Gun rag reviews?
Snob appeal?

Better parts? Proper assembly methods?
Those are the point.

Get any semi proficient manufacturer of machined metal parts
to follow the real mil-spec for a Stoner pattern gun, and it will be...mil spec.

That, is the point.
It's why sewing machine, farm equipment, and lamp manufacturers
made quality weapons in WWII. Not because their civilian guns
had a better reputation than someone else's.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

to follow the real mil-spec for a Stoner pattern gun, and it will be...mil spec.

Mil-spec when it comes to to AR's is not always the best given what's available today.

LMT, KAC & H-K are not mil-spec in their entirety.

And, just so ya know, there is no "mil-spec" standard, per se', for large frame AR's

MM

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I think you all are missing the part that say's:

The SDMR is a variant of the 7.62mm H&K G28/HK417. Army officials are fielding it as part of an interim effort to make squads more lethal ahead of the service's introduction of the Next-Generation Squad Weapon system, planned for 2023.

There are many recent articles from military sites that still say's that the new rifle will be designed around a new 6.8mm round.

And even this interim rifle will use the service's new 7.62mm enhanced performance round.

Phil

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Always interesting that the people with the least knowledge are the most vocal.

The M14 is a POS in all respects compared to any modern service rifle.

PSA, DPMS, name one, or two.

There are much better companies out there than those two. LMT, KAC, DD...

You missed the point.

What makes them better?
Price?
Reputation? Gun rag reviews?
Snob appeal?

Better parts? Proper assembly methods?
Those are the point.

That, is the point.
It's why sewing machine, farm equipment, and lamp manufacturers
made quality weapons in WWII. Not because their civilian guns
had a better reputation than someone else's.

You have no idea how this works.

First, the military knows nothing about weapon design or performance- NOTHING. The combat arms in the military (what is now termed “close combat” personnel) as a whole are 30 plus years behind the public sector in knowledge, skill, and ability when it comes to small arms training and use. If they don’t know how to use the weapons with any real skill, how can the design something to perform and set spec for that? The requirements are mostly guesses- some good, some bad, and manufacturers compete to see who meets more of them.

Second, as has been pointed out, there is no “mil-spec” for large frame AR’S. They are not the same, and only in the last couple of years has anyone figured out how to make them run reliably enough and long enough for general use besides sniper support rifles. Only three manufacturers in the world have proven the ability in legitimate military trials to be able to consistently produce large frame AR/SR25 guns that are reliable and durable for wide military use- KAC, LMT, and HK. What makes them better? Reliability in all environments, durability in high round counts, long term precision,

Third, this isn’t WWII. Maytag isn’t being forced to make machine guns. DPMS (which is Remington), Remington, PSA, etc have ZERO understanding or drive to make guns work in large scale. That you think so, show a complete lack of knowledge or research. Remington has won three large US military/government contracts for rifles and lost all three because of their inability to continue producing to spec. As for PSA.... You realize that all their “good” guns are made by FN, correct?

HK won because they produced a system that met more requirements than anyone else. Whether the requirements were actually useful or not can be debated, but the requirements were open to all to compete. HK won. It is a heavy rifle and it recoils more; but it is precise, reliable and it won.

Want to complain about something? Question the optic.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After they turned down the HK416 for the jam-o-matic SCAR and the drop-n-fire Sig over the Glock, I don’t find any DOD weapon choices surprising. Imagine if they would’ve taken the AR18 50 years ago.....

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Bristoe
America is the AR platform capital of the world. It would have been interesting to allow domestic manufacturers to produce a piston operated, match grade version of an AR-10 and put it in trials against the HK.

The best Piston AR-10 size rifle already exists. It’s the PWS (Primary Weapon System) MK2 productline using their long stroke piston design. Runs like a top and is dang tough. Personally a PWS in 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 Rem would have been a better choice in this application.

Mark in GA

Last edited by MarkinGA; 04/16/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Mil-spec when it comes to to AR's is not always the best given what's available today.

LMT, KAC & H-K are not mil-spec in their entirety.

And, just so ya know, there is no "mil-spec" standard, per se', for large frame AR's

MM

Embarrassed!
You are absolutely right!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by RayF
After they turned down the HK416 for the jam-o-matic SCAR

When did this happen? And pray tell what is your experience with “jam-o-matic” SCARs?

The M17 and M18 have never had drop fire issues. I am no fan of Sig in general, however the drop issue is extremely overblown and mischaracterized across the board.

Originally Posted by MarkinGA
The best Piston AR-10 size rifle already exists. It’s the PWS (Primary Weapon System) MK2 productline using their long stroke piston design. Runs like a top and is dang tough. Personally a PWS in 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 Rem would have been a better choice in this application.

Mark in GA

So a gun and system that has never passed a single military reliability and durability evaluation by a military entity, is better than one of the most tested and robust 7.62mm gas guns on the market that has been tested and repeatedly proven to work? And a 6.5 Creedmoor or 260R is a better choice for a Squad designated marksmen rifle in an infantry squad that shares no ammunition commonality with it, than the 7.62mm that is shared by the squad/platoon?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Formi, do you know which optic was chosen for this rifle?

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
So a gun and system that has never passed a single military reliability and durability evaluation by a military entity, is better than one of the most tested and robust 7.62mm gas guns on the market that has been tested and repeatedly proven to work? And a 6.5 Creedmoor or 260R is a better choice for a Squad designated marksmen rifle in an infantry squad that shares no ammunition commonality with it, than the 7.62mm that is shared by the squad/platoon?

Actually if you look at the original post I replied to I was responding to someone else specifically about Piston based AR’s. All AR’s are “gas guns” if you will regardless of them being DI or some form of piston-based action. So by “gas gun” I will assume you are referring specifically to DI based 7.62 platforms. I never said anything negative about those vs piston. I have had all three (DI, Short-Stroke Piston, and Long-Stroke Piston) in 7.62 and tested them extensively. All short-stroke piston including a Sig Sauer have moved on down the road. It was not even in the league with the 5 different PWS rifles I have direct experience with. Would the Sig run, yes, but much more violently than the PWS and frankly was not as reliable in my experience. All I’m saying is if you go piston, the PWS system functions better period. Smoother, more consistent, and accurate. Go and check out who was involved in the design of the PWS and their military experience/backgrounds.

That said, DI based AR 7.62 platforms are just fine too. I have them and would recommend them, especially LMT, Daniel Defense (which is located about 10 miles from my home), and the Aero Precision M5 for a less costly but quality version.

I get the logic of commonality and why they picked the 308. It is a known and dependable round. I might would have gone a different way, but I would have picked differently on all of the US Military’s small arms except for the M240. That one, I believe they got right as far as the platform goes.

Mark in GA

Last edited by MarkinGA; 04/16/20.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

I was going to ask the same thing but he seems like a cranky pants today.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

I was going to ask the same thing but he seems like a cranky pants today.

Simmons whitetail 3-9x40

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 219DW, 67 invisible), 2,858 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,312
Posts18,487,270
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.