Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
After all that crude oil is pumped out, what happiness with that huge empty space underground the cruse occupied?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Nothing, we been pumping for a long time.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Richard, to simplify things...

Oil sits in reserves full of water. In fact, in many oil wells, they produce many times the oil extraction in water.

Oil floats in water. So imagine an underground dome with two layers... oil and water. (Just like the vinegar and oil bottle)

You drill in and extract the oil, the water fills the void. And water pushes the oil upward.

Flow of oil and water in shale formations varies from this, but not much. Water is the main replacement. You have to crack the shale to get better flow. Oil and water both flow after the cracks are widened. (fracking).

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
After all that crude oil is pumped out, what happiness with that huge empty space underground the cruse occupied?

Your not a dead dinosaur man , are you. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
An oil reserve is usually in pores in a rock formation so it’s more like a water in a sponge than an underground lake so there’s no real void once the oils pumped out. It’s like putting a straw into a water soaked sponge and sucking it out. Once all the water is gone the sponge is still there

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Some places, like around here.

It’s filled with CO2 and raw gas to squeeze what’s left out.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Kellywk
An oil reserve is usually in pores in a rock formation so it’s more like a water in a sponge than an underground lake so there’s no real void once the oils pumped out. It’s like putting a straw into a water soaked sponge and sucking it out. Once all the water is gone the sponge is still there

Yep.

Not like you might imagine a salt mine would be.

I am MAGA.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The pores in the rocks down hole are called Vugs.

It is like a sponge.

When we moved here back in the late 70's there was talk that the oil was gone and it would be shut down,this field and others.

Since that time they have come up with more ways to get it out of the ground.

They started with natural flow,then artificial lift(pumps and pumpjacks),then went to water flood,then co2 and some went to geothermal.

With co2 the oil come out of the ground lighter and fizzie like a soda.

There were also a bunch of chemical treats to get more of it out of the ground.

Who knows where they will head next.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thanks all.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Oil sits in reserves full of water. In fact, in many oil wells, they produce many times the oil extraction in water.

Oil floats in water. So imagine an underground dome with two layers... oil and water. (Just like the vinegar and oil bottle)

You drill in and extract the oil, the water fills the void. And water pushes the oil upward.

Flow of oil and water in shale formations varies from this, but not much. Water is the main replacement. You have to crack the shale to get better flow. Oil and water both flow after the cracks are widened. (fracking).

I know a guy down in Ohio that goes around to old abandoned wells, pops the caps, and pumps the oil off the top of the water. He splits the money he makes with the property owners. Although with oil being low now, it's probably not profitable to do.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by gophergunner

I know a guy down in Ohio that goes around to old abandoned wells, pops the caps, and pumps the oil off the top of the water. He splits the money he makes with the property owners. Although with oil being low now, it's probably not profitable to do.

knew a guy several years ago that retired from the oil field and bought a little work over rig. A lot of oil companies have old wells that aren't worth their time/money to keep open but would cost too much to plug so they let them dribble out a couple barrels a month. He would basically get the wells for free from the oil co. and rework them a little to get production up. I doubt he made more than a couple hundred bucks a month off any one well, but he probably had 50-100 of them.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
The continent capsizes 😮

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It just leaves more space for The Debil.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

That's a good way to put it, along with the fact that natural gas is mixed in with the oil and water as well. In light of the immense amount of barrels produced out of the Permian, for example, the high powered reservoir engineers estimate that we've managed to extract only 45% of the oil that's in the ground. That's where new tech comes along and manages to get a little more, as plainsman mentioned. I too wonder what will be next, but there's still lots of oil in the ground in the Permian.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JGRaider

That's a good way to put it, along with the fact that natural gas is mixed in with the oil and water as well. In light of the immense amount of barrels produced out of the Permian, for example, the high powered reservoir engineers estimate that we've managed to extract only 45% of the oil that's in the ground. That's where new tech comes along and manages to get a little more, as plainsman mentioned. I too wonder what will be next, but there's still lots of oil in the ground in the Permian.

It’s called 4 D with the 4th dimension being Time. Newer 3 D shows how the reservoir’s oil has migrated over time compared to initial 3 D. From that, companies know how to do injection for more EOR (enhanced oil recovery).

That’s just part of it.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
There's some super smart guys that figure that stuff out is all I know.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

It’s called 4 D with the 4th dimension being Time. Newer 3 D shows how the reservoir’s oil has migrated over time compared to initial 3 D. From that, companies know how to do injection for more EOR (enhanced oil recovery).

That’s just part of it.

That's correct. Especially in certain areas, more than others.

Oil and gas pockets down here in the coastal regions have been known to shift quite a bit.

So, if an old seismic survey didn't show you are Jed Clampet, a newer one may. grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I wonder why we lowered the speed limit during the Carter presidency to 55 mph and send us over there to fight for oil?
Lucy,
You got some splaining to do.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

That’s just part of it.

That's correct. Especially in certain areas, more than others.

Oil and gas pockets down here in the coastal regions have been known to shift quite a bit.

So, if an old seismic survey didn't show you are Jed Clampet, a newer one may. grin

You’re point is real particularly as it relates to salt domes. I’ve seen older seismic that said “some “ and the same general area later that showed commercial. Domes are tricky compared to, say, the Austin Chalk.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JGRaider
There's some super smart guys that figure that stuff out is all I know.

I'm sure not one of those guys. But I sat in lots of meetings with those guys... LOL.

I have laid out and observed lots of 3-D seismic surveys, and seen the results compared to older surveys. Pretty eye opening.

Seen the big players pay for 100 square miles of 3-D, and only drill 2-3 wells.

Not that there wasn't oil and gas on the rest, it's just that those 2-3 wells made it well worth their time.

They sold lines of the survey, and took bids on remaining exploration too. They made lots of $$ on independents and wildcatters that way.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 22250rem, 1badf350, 204guy, 59 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,003
Posts18,500,053
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.