Print Thread
Hop To
U
UPhiker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
The Packin' Pistol thread got me thinking. Those are the 3 well known makers of wilderness defense loads for handguns. Is any one better than the others or are they pretty much equal? I know that some make loads that others don't but I'm just interested in general knowledge.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I don't shoot a lot of factory ammo, preferring to handload for cost reasons primarily.
However, for hunting or carry, I have used some factory stuff. Have not shot any of the OP's mentions, but thought I would add some that I have used:

In my .Ruger .45LC, the HSM Bear Load ammo, with 325 gr. hardcast bullets at 1150 fps, is a real hammer. I carry this handgun when I know I am in black bear and mountain lion country.

For my Ruger Super Redhawk .480 Ruger, I have used the Grizzly Ammo stuff, with Cast Performance WFNGC 425 gr. bullets at 1200 fps. Surprisingly easy on recoil for such a stout loading. Plan to use this for Bison, when the country returns to normal.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I would also weigh the Cast Performance bullets to verify their weight. I have used their “265” gr. gas check .41 bullets, found they weighed no more than 255 gr. They have a great and very wide meplat and shot beautifully. I didn’t have to use them on a grizzly, but was close. I am sure they would have worked, but remain disappointed in the advertised vice actual weight.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
All fine stuff. Whatever one works best in your gun is the one to choose

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used all three. I have some Double Tap and Buffalo Bore 200 Grain hard cast ammo for woods carry in my Glock 27 when using a Lone Wolf Barrel. I have some 155 grain Gold Dot Underwood ammo for my .40s, and 200 grain XTP and hard cast Underwood for my Glock 20 10mm. Never had a problem with any of them.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Buffalo Bore Ammo is good stuff ! Haven’t shot the other two.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have read some reports of Double Tap not measuring up to claimed velocities. No personal experience with that. I have chronographed Buffalo Bore and Underwood ammo. The Buffalo Bore was a bit slower than advertised, but close enough to not be a concern. The Underwood was actually a bit over advertised velocity.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For factory ammo I have a definite preference for SAAMI members. Doubletap is the only member of the three you mention. I will give a shout out for Black Hills.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by UPhiker
The Packin' Pistol thread got me thinking. Those are the 3 well known makers of wilderness defense loads for handguns. Is any one better than the others or are they pretty much equal? I know that some make loads that others don't but I'm just interested in general knowledge.

A more important question is: "are you able to shoot up to the limitations of your ammo?"

All the boutique ammo makers produce excellent ammo. Other than the bullshlt "extreme penetrator" bullets, the WFN and FP bullet loadings will drill hole through a bear. The weak link is the shooter.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
CorBon used to have some stout loads. They were a favorite of mine for my .454 but I see they dont have that load anymore. No experience with their current offerings.

IC B3

U
UPhiker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by dla

A more important question is: "are you able to shoot up to the limitations of your ammo?"

All the boutique ammo makers produce excellent ammo. Other than the bullshlt "extreme penetrator" bullets, the WFN and FP bullet loadings will drill hole through a bear. The weak link is the shooter.

Worry about yourself...you shoot a Keltec.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Worry about yourself...you shoot a Keltec.

I dont buy boutique ammo and I carry a 329pd when I'm concerned about bitey/scratchy critters.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve used all three. Currently carrying DT .40 200gr hardcast in a M&P40 for trail use.

I have not shot any of these brands over a chronograph, but all three are pretty stoutly loaded and will do the job.

Definitely not loaded at mild factory “plinking” levels typical of mist ammo.

I’m moving more towards handloads, particularly for hotter ammo, these days. But if I needed some stout loads for a handgun I’d consider any of these brands.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
+1 - Buffalo Bore

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All three make good ammo.

I would avoid the super-cavitating-wonder-bullet-tipped Underwood offereings and stick with Underwood's hard cast and JHP offerings.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

679 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 16gage, 12344mag, 10ring1, 16penny, 64 invisible), 3,035 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,618
Posts18,492,662
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.