Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Always was taught to sharpen a knife by moving it only forward on the stone but lifting it and not rubbing backward, if that makes sense. About 15% angle. Is this right?

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
no

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
That’s the way I do it!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depends on the use...
Sometimes you want a convex curve, sometimes a flat angle.
Sharpen a knife forward,
Hone a razor backwards..

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Never thought about the angle, but i wont drag an edge backwards. Probably just me being anal. After machining for years I cringe when most people use a file as well.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, that is the correct method for sharpening a blade in reasonably good condition. Circumstances can dictate different methods of sharpening, however. If you need to re-bevel, if there's chips in the blade or if the leading edge is convex, are a few examples.

Also, the Japanese, when using a Jap water stones, use a method that is considerably different.

Last edited by High_Noon; 04/24/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
There's an old saying ''there's more than one way to skin a cat'' .
I like old sayings about cats - another ''can't swing a dead cat without hitting somebody'' .

Spend $40 and buy an entry level Lansky Sharpener and all of your wildest dreams will come true .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Making alternating passes is called the "western method" Scrubbing back and forth is called the "Asian method" Both work and I use both. I like the Asian method myself, especially to set the edge on my coarse stone. Its more efficient and I think I hold a better angle because I am not flipping the knife with each pass. I do about 10 passes per side and then flip. When I go to finer stones I'll start using the alternating passes because all you are doing is refining the edge you created on the first stone. Its all kind of ways though. My Dad used a circular motion. Dished out his stones real good because he always used the middle of them.

Last edited by RJY66; 04/24/20.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best knife sharpening guru on YouTube

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LJBass
Never thought about the angle, but i wont drag an edge backwards. Probably just me being anal. After machining for years I cringe when most people use a file as well.

No you are right. That is the same technique for a file.
Protect the cutting edge of the file, probably helps avoid clogging too.(well you can probably tell me a thing or two about proper file use)

High Noon,
Interested in hearingabout the water stone approach. Th Japanese (some anyhiw) have a good reputation when it comes to precision...

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 04/24/20.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Most Japanese water stones are soft enough that pushing a cutting edge against them can gouge the stone and ruin it. I've been pretty successful at rehabbing a nicked or slightly cupped-out Japanese water stone by rubbing the sharpening surface flat with a diamond sharpener.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
On a whetstone I use circular motions. I also use paper wheels on harder steels. I sometimes use leather strops as well. I can sharpen a knife no questions asked. I was taught at a young age by an old timer. My grandpa.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I go into the edge and use only the hardest Arkansas stones. Dragging it backwards will leave feathers.

If ones unit has a convex grind they are sharpened with fine sand paper over a soft pad pulling the edge across last.

Angles are a personal choice depending on how durable one wants the edge to be. One simply has to be consistent.

I've not used the water stones at all.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
High Noon, Interested in hearingabout the water stone approach. Th Japanese (some anyhiw) have a good reputation when it comes to precision...

There's a Japanese Dr., who is a big hunter and knife aficionado. He's very skilled in the Japanese sharpening method. I haven't watched his videos in years and I cannot find the video I'm looking for, but I'm pretty sure this is the guy:

EDIT: I see OrangeOkie beat me to it.

Last edited by High_Noon; 04/24/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
However you sharpen a knife, the one thing that you can be sure of is that someone will tell you that you are doing it wrong.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Best knife sharpening guru on YouTube

This guy is unwatchable.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But then my grandfather could put a shaving edge on a pocket knife with just a few swirls of the round carborundum stone he kept in his pocket to touch up his axe...

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you ask how to sharpen on woodworking forum, the answers go forever. It's just abrading steel.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by nighthawk
But then my grandfather could put a shaving edge on a pocket knife with just a few swirls of the round carborundum stone he kept in his pocket to touch up his axe...

Exactly. The Japanese guy uses a lot of equipment and does a ridiculous amount of work to obtain the results he does....and then loosely over strops the hell out of his edge when finished. I'd be willing to bet that his knife is duller after the stropping than it was when he finished with the stones. But hey, he speaks Engrish with a Japanese accent so he must be a Samurai or something right? laugh

Check out a guy who really knows what he is doing using a brick......

Using an inexpensive sharpening stone.......

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
The most important item I believe is keeping a consistent angle on the blade. I have used the KME sharpening system for years and love the shaving sharp edge it puts on pocket knives to kitchen knives.
https://www.kmesharp.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 270wsmnutt, 117LBS, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 1,920 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,261
Posts18,525,319
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.