Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 21 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 20 21
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI
So it begs the question, aside from the 2" of extra penetration during the FBI shooting (where the 9mm failed) and the 40 is SUCH a burden, why did half the known world go to the 40 in the first place, over a bullet? Once again government bureaucracy and feathermerchants rule the roost... BTW, Paul Harrell has a BUNCH of really good videos. I highly recommend him.

Paul’s lung tissue simulation material and other simulation material are a bit of a hoot. Again all handguns in the CCW department are underpowered. It makes not 10% difference the shorty 40 or the 9mm.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Old opinion, all pistols are underpowered and 9 will do exactly the same thing as a 40 as will a 45

You are just clinging to that narrative...

And no, they’re not all underpowered... :-)

Why did you change your post??

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Your usual position, but we’re talking people shooting not buffaloes, no 454’s are usually involved in civilian shootings

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Your usual position, but we’re talking people shooting not buffaloes, no 454’s are usually involved in civilian shootings

You always get yourself in a pickle when you make sweeping statements.

So why did you change your post?

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ar15a292f
I have not seen TRexarms, I'll have to check him out. I like Garand Thumb, Larry Vickers Tactical and Warrior Poet Society.

I like Vickers as well.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JMR40
Prior to 1994 our city PD issued Smith 65's loaded with 38+P+ ammo. The Deputies and county PD could carry anything they wanted as long as they could qualify with it. They furnished personal guns. In 1994 the City issued Smith 5906's in 9mm, the County and SO went to G22's in 40 S&W. The GSP has been all over the place. In 1994 they had Smith 686's and carried 357 ammo. They had a brief look at Smith 4506's, then G22's, then Glock basically gave them G37's in 45 GAP but no one liked them and they went to G17's in 9mm.

Since 1994 we've had 13 LE shootings, 7 with 9mm, 6 with 40 S&W. There were never more than 3 shots fired by any officer and all bad guys were DRT. There were no survivors and no difference in how quickly they went down.

Departments upgrade to new guns about every 10-15 years anyway, sometimes they make them last 20 years. The 5906 was discontinued and the M&P 9mm pistols our city tested didn't meet reliability standards so our city replaced their 20 year old Smiths with G17's in 2014. The SO changed to G17's last year and the county will when they buy new guns the next time.

Going from a G22 to a G17 didn't require any more training or even new holsters. Our Sheriff contacted numerous agencies around the country who had made the switch from 40 to 9mm and none of them could offer any evidence that the 9mm pistols were any less effective than what they'd been using. On paper the 40 looks better, but the end results are all that matter.

Good post, so I'll ask you this question; if there is no difference in effectiveness between the two rounds (except for the agreed upon fact of longevity, TWO (2) more rounds and cost although that is debatable using economies of scale (volume), why go through the expense of replacing all your weapons just because of the aforementioned reasons?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Prior to 1994 our city PD issued Smith 65's loaded with 38+P+ ammo. The Deputies and county PD could carry anything they wanted as long as they could qualify with it. They furnished personal guns. In 1994 the City issued Smith 5906's in 9mm, the County and SO went to G22's in 40 S&W. The GSP has been all over the place. In 1994 they had Smith 686's and carried 357 ammo. They had a brief look at Smith 4506's, then G22's, then Glock basically gave them G37's in 45 GAP but no one liked them and they went to G17's in 9mm.

Since 1994 we've had 13 LE shootings, 7 with 9mm, 6 with 40 S&W. There were never more than 3 shots fired by any officer and all bad guys were DRT. There were no survivors and no difference in how quickly they went down.

Departments upgrade to new guns about every 10-15 years anyway, sometimes they make them last 20 years. The 5906 was discontinued and the M&P 9mm pistols our city tested didn't meet reliability standards so our city replaced their 20 year old Smiths with G17's in 2014. The SO changed to G17's last year and the county will when they buy new guns the next time.

Going from a G22 to a G17 didn't require any more training or even new holsters. Our Sheriff contacted numerous agencies around the country who had made the switch from 40 to 9mm and none of them could offer any evidence that the 9mm pistols were any less effective than what they'd been using. On paper the 40 looks better, but the end results are all that matter.

Good post, so I'll ask you this question; if there is no difference in effectiveness between the two rounds (except for the agreed upon fact of longevity, TWO (2) more rounds and cost although that is debatable using economies of scale (volume), why go through the expense of replacing all your weapons just because of the aforementioned reasons?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
As far as "Kabooms" go, right after the Glock 22s came out, an aquaintance bought one, and a case of Fiocchi ammo, to shoot IPSC with. He could count on at least one Kaboom from the ammo/gun combo every time he shot it. The barely supported chamber of the Glock 22, and the rather thin cases made by Fiocchi guaranteed an issue, he could count on it.
He was buying his pistols AND ammo from a single source, an LE distributor just down the road from his house. About once a month, he'd go in there and they'd swap him out a new Glock, until they both got tired of the runaround and he got into a Tanfoglio or some other flavor of .40 (So he could shoot up that case of ammo!).

I thought the whole exercise was a bit silly. It didn't make me a fan of the .40 though, as I had to RO the guy, and duck from time to time when extractors or other parts exited his pistols.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Jorge, this is just my opinion, but I think that half the known world transitioned to the 40 S&W because the FBI did. They were following the FBI's lead.

exactly! Here's another curve ball; the Secret Service uses the 357 SIG....

Why do they use the .357 SIG?

Well.......it's a secret smile

Re: the posing about dept. shooting with 9 vs 40, what ammo was used do you know?

Curious what ammo you folks are carrying, and in which cartridge?

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by efw

.40 just doesn’t factor in for me. 9mm is good enough. .45 is best.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Where’s my hurt feelings report?

And I was so happy to have you back...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
So it begs the question, aside from the 2" of extra penetration during the FBI shooting (where the 9mm failed) and the 40 is SUCH a burden, why did half the known world go to the 40 in the first place, over a bullet?

Overreaction. A bunch of FBI agents died or were badly wounded in a shootout with two bank robbers due mainly to the failure of a 1980s designed hollow point 9mm to penetrate through a perp's shoulder, all the way through his heart. Their first overreaction was to adopt the full house 10mm, not the .40 S&W. That was a flop, because so many couldn't shoot well with it. Then they toned it way down, and most of them could handle it, so someone came up with the idea of shortening the 10mm to fit in a 9mm pistol, while keeping the toned down 10mm power level.

They didn't jump directly from 9mm to .40 S&W.

The correct solution was to urge ammo makers to improve their 9mm bullet designs and powder charges using scientific testing, which is what happened anyway, thus shrinking the gap between .40 S&W and modern 9mm in terms of terminal performance potential.

More like FBI agents died in the shootout because none of them could hit [bleep] for shinola and it took one FBI guy with his arm half blowed off and a riot gun at point blank to terminate the perps. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Glockduffus A.K.A. BFR loves the 9mm.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
[

More like FBI agents died in the shootout because none of them could hit [bleep] for shinola and it took one FBI guy with his arm half blowed off and a riot gun at point blank to terminate the perps. MB

Well almost . The FBI agent who had the 9mm had apparently poor eyesight and lost his glasses in the imbroglio so he couldn't see well. His one hit was that 9mm round that stopped short...

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
If you want to see if you can shoot a 9mm faster than a 40, get a timer. Shoot under time constraints. 95 percent will see a difference. If you don't see a difference, pat yourself on the back. A good shooter will shoot well with whatever you hand him.

Not directed at you CT, just a general statement for those following.....

Anyone reading this IS NOT in the 95%. And it's not 95%, it's more like 99.9999999%. Ben Stoeger, one of the two or three best shooters on the planet, has commented that it is easier to shoot accurately at speed with a 9mm than a .40.

A good shooter will shoot well with whatever you hand him. And he'll shoot better with a gun that recoils less.

I believe everyone reading this IS in the 95 percent. And I agree that it is more like the ivory soap number 99 and 99/100%. Stoeger knows his business.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
We hit 2K rounds before cadets leave the academy .

That should be a model for police training.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
So it begs the question, aside from the 2" of extra penetration during the FBI shooting (where the 9mm failed) and the 40 is SUCH a burden, why did half the known world go to the 40 in the first place, over a bullet? Once again government bureaucracy and feathermerchants rule the roost... BTW, Paul Harrell has a BUNCH of really good videos. I highly recommend him.

Never underestimate the power of the Big "I". I have never understood why the world of Law Enforcement listens so intently to an agency who is involved in fewer gunfights than police departments in Las Vegas, New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago, just to name a few. The only reason they are somewhat credible in this area is because they have a budget that allows them to do ad nauseum testing.

Oh, and remember this: If that 115 grain winchester silvertip had penetrated 2" more in Miami, You would have never heard of the 40 Smith and Wesson.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Jorge, this is just my opinion, but I think that half the known world transitioned to the 40 S&W because the FBI did. They were following the FBI's lead.

exactly! Here's another curve ball; the Secret Service uses the 357 SIG....

Why do they use the .357 SIG?

No idea, but I'm sure some government bureaucrat came up with the TOE>

The secret service has always had a "thing" with having something different. I remember some years back, they had Remington PSS rifles chambered for 7mm Rem Mag.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Because range scores go up with 9mm. 80-85% shooters become 90-95% shooters.

That means that the "problem children" in your given department will shoot better. The upside to this is that when you end up responding to a school shooting with multiple shooters and the only help you have is the worst shooter in your department, you have more help than you had when he or she was shooting a 40. And since the effectiveness is identical, there is no negative to issuing 9mm.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
[

Well almost . The FBI agent who had the 9mm had apparently poor eyesight and lost his glasses in the imbroglio so he couldn't see well. His one hit was that 9mm round that stopped short...

Better do some reading...Jerry Dove shot Platt...his partner Ben Grogan was the one who could not see...

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Page 6 of 21 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

195 members (160user, 280shooter, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,731 guests, and 976 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,343
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.