Print Thread
Hop To
M
mbhunt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I understand that the meat packing plants have been hit hard by covid because of nature of the work, immigrant labor not following precautions, etc. etc.
This illness doesn't last forever and I would expect that most of the workers are on the younger side and probably not getting really bad symptoms. So what am I missing on the dire reports of our future meat supply? Isn't this just going to be a blip in supply and then right back in full supply. Full disclosure- I know nothing about the industry. It just seems like there will be a short term loss for the industry and then it will pick back up.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If the meat plants shut down then there will be no market for the hogs, cattle, sheep, chickens, etc. With no markets for their livestock many of the livestock producers may well have to dump the carcasses of those animals and bulldoze them under. Many simply can't afford to continue feeding them when there is no market to sell to to recover their cost of production.
With no producers producing livestock the feed markets will collapse. Feed markets collapse then there's drastically reduced demand for the farmers crops. restricted or no markets for crops then there's drastically reduced demand for seeds to plant. Many farmers/ranchers may be forced out of business.
On and on and on. The food chain collapses and the shelves in the local super market could get pretty bare.
And that, my friend, means it could take a loooong time to recover. and you may well get pretty hungry.

Last edited by MickeyD; 04/30/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
mbhunt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I've got lots of venison grin

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Was listening to Rush's show yesterday w/ Mark Steyn ,and a caller from SD stated that we are still importing alot of meat ?
Haven't taken the time to research this yet.
Anyone know if this true (or why)?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It was stupid to close the whole damn country down on media hype.

Would have been much, much better for everyone to remove the infected individual and isolate him/her, and keep the other 1000 employees working and producing.

We would not have had anywhere NEAR the economic disaster we have now.

But the media did it's best. It worked.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Aawww - HELL, we'll just turn all the grain into ethanol - we don't need no stinkin' gasoline, anyway! (Tongue-in-cheek icon, here) !

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rong
Was listening to Rush's show yesterday w/ Mark Steyn ,and a caller from SD stated that we are still importing alot of meat ?

Not only are we importing meat... But they relaxed the labeling requirements when you buy it. You aren't told it's imported meat.

Meat slaughtered here for sale in the US is USDA inspected.

Who knows what goes on with processing on foreign meat?

This has been a problem for some time now. It's just now getting attention because of the meat shortage due to processing plant closures here in the US.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Canada produces lots of pigs an$ have virtually no slaughter factories. It’s comes across the border non stop here in North Dakota headed for South Dakota and Iowa. Ed k

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by rong

Not only are we importing meat... But they relaxed the labeling requirements when you buy it. You aren't told it's imported meat.

Meat slaughtered here for sale in the US is USDA inspected.

Who knows what goes on with processing on foreign meat?

This has been a problem for some time now. It's just now getting attention because of the meat shortage due to processing plant closures here in the US.

That was his other point,Country of Origin not being marked.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
They nature of the work had nothing to do with immigrants following precautions.
It's like a labor camp. Bunk houses and buses running all day back and forth.
Keep thinking slavery is dead.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (21, 44mc, 7887mm08, 3dtestify, 35, 8MMX57JS, 8 invisible), 1,052 guests, and 886 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,208
Posts18,524,272
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.