Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Can be a problem on longer rides.

And maneuvering..... grin

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Most motors have been designed to run on ethanol gas for quite a while. As mentioned, I'd ask about the age of the tires, chain and sprockets. But I wouldn't let it be a deal breaker for $2500. I'd just want to know. Good tires are necessary on a bike for obvious reasons. If they're very old, regardless of miles, I'd count on changing them out for peace of mind.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
250cc bikes are lighter and easier to maneuver.
The used bike market is pretty soft

Everyone is buying side by side ATV around here.
On gravel a 250cc should be plenty.
Make a low offer.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
You could do far worse.

Cruisers are all about low rpm torque, just the thing for rolling down a back road on a pretty day.

The biggest concern is the seat. Typically cruisers place your feet out front so that all your weight is on your a$$. Can be a problem on longer rides.

Really want a kawasaki klr 650, But they just look so damned uncomfortable for an old fart. 😬

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 2011, it has shaft drive and is reliable.
I consider it to be rider friendly.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Shadows are decent bikes, no real issues. Honda's version of the Harley Sportster but without the weight and issues. The 750 would I believe be a chain drive. At 20K chain and sprockets are suspect. Tires, anything over about 4 years old would be not a good thing,. Will run freeway speeds all day no issues. Wife's bike is a Shadow 750RS. 2013, fuel injected. She only has 500 miles on it... Thinking of selling both hers and my BMW K1200Rs ans we don't often ride like we used to.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Most motors have been designed to run on ethanol gas for quite a while. As mentioned, I'd ask about the age of the tires, chain and sprockets. But I wouldn't let it be a deal breaker for $2500. I'd just want to know. Good tires are necessary on a bike for obvious reasons. If they're very old, regardless of miles, I'd count on changing them out for peace of mind.

Yep. The tires are probably my biggest concern on looking at this bike. I don’t know what to look for on road tires on a bike for age or signs of wear.
That’s one big reason I’m having my friend look it. Motor sounds good and starts easy. Wonder what a set of tires cost ???

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get one of these instead. Built by Kawasaki.

clic pic for article
[Linked Image from motorcyclistonline.com]

$2500 on ebay

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smithrjd
The Shadows are decent bikes, no real issues. Honda's version of the Harley Sportster but without the weight and issues. The 750 would I believe be a chain drive. At 20K chain and sprockets are suspect. Tires, anything over about 4 years old would be not a good thing,. Will run freeway speeds all day no issues. Wife's bike is a Shadow 750RS. 2013, fuel injected. She only has 500 miles on it... Thinking of selling both hers and my BMW K1200Rs ans we don't often ride like we used to.

Yep. Don’t want a Harley Sportster. Road my Cousin’s a little.
Loud and rough. Always having problems with it too.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Yep. The tires are probably my biggest concern on looking at this bike. I don’t know what to look for on road tires on a bike for age or signs of wear.
That’s one big reason I’m having my friend look it. Motor sounds good and starts easy. Wonder what a set of tires cost ???

Cost of the tires + about $50 each to have them mounted.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Get one of these instead. Built by Kawasaki.

clic pic for article

$2500 on ebay

Old school cool ! I’m into that ! 🤠

Too far away, unfortunately.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 05/02/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

What do you reckon the tires would cost ?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Biebs
Good, reliable bike, as are most Hondas. For $2,500, go for it!

This.............it'll do what you want just fine, as already said, most Honda's are decent, mechanically..

But I'd still strongly prefer a fuel injected engine; make sure it actually starts well from both a cold & hot condition with no lag with you twist the handle. Maybe run some carb cleaner through it just because.

Good Luck.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a 2007 Honda Shadow.

low maintenance bike, smooth ride

its a honda, hard to go wrong. I think $2500 is a fair price but there are alot of metric cruisers in that price range with that mileage.

I like the Kawasaki Vulcan.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

What do you reckon the tires would cost ?

Probably $85 to $120 each. That's the general range.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wonder what a set of tires cost ???

I just put a new set of Shinko's on mine in Feb.

The tires, new tubes, and liners were about $240 in total.

Installation was $50 for the rear and $25 for the front.

It's also a good time to adjust the shocks if needed.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Old school cool ! I’m into that ! 🤠

Too far away, unfortunately.

It is a nice retro for sure. I have the real deal to tool around on, but I've always liked the W60. Worth keeping an eye on ebay and cycletrader IMO.

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Motorcycle tires are like car tires, you get what you pay for. I would guess $100 to $150 each for good tires, a bit more mounted. Wife's bike has spokes, so I can mount them. Mags are not that easy and easy to mess up. I always pay to have them mounted. If you can take the wheels off and bring just them it is much cheaper to get tires. Be aware that the Shadow does not have a center stand, only a kickstand so harder to do.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Be damn careful, been a LOT of guys your age doing just what you’re doing around here the last several years, and ending up dead or in the hospital. Seems like they aren’t taking into account their age and decreased abilities, and many of them either have no experience at all or some from decades ago.

I was first on the scene of a wreck a few years ago, watched it happen. Guy in his late 50’s on a bike similar to the Shadow, but another brand. I was running the opposite direction on the interstate and coming into a curve, saw a cloud of dust in the median. As I pass, slowing down, I see the bike on the other side of the wire divider, and the rider rolling around on my side of it. Not even wanting to stop, I pulled over, grabbed the medical bag I always carry in the vehicles, ran over to him. He came through the wire really well, considering. All we could find wrong at the scene was a six inch long, deep gash in his left thigh, with no arterial bleeding apparent. He was conscious and talking, said he came to the curve, tried to turn and the bike went crazy. Other comments he made pretty well told me he had no idea he was supposed to lean the bike into the curve, and tried to turn the handlebars to execute the turn. Bad move at 70 mph. Said he had just picked up the bike and was on his way to pick his wife up from work with it. Had never had a bike before.

Not trying to lecture you or assume you are at all incapable, just be objective about your skill level and abilities. And ride like everybody else on the road is trying to kill you. The level of inattention by drivers these days is astounding, and a biker never wins in an encounter with another vehicle. Riding is a lot of fun, but it’s more dangerous now than it’s ever been, and it’s hard on newbies, it would seem.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Umberslade Bonneville. Better off getting a '65 to '70 Model. Had several, but they will cost you.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

264 members (222Sako, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 160user, 34 invisible), 1,732 guests, and 1,004 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,980
Posts18,499,605
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.