Print Thread
Hop To
F
Filaman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I went to the local pawn shop (the only one in town) to buy my bride some jewelry as a surprise and tried to avoid looking toward the gun rack, but I'm weak and couldn't resist. There was only one scoped rifle and it looked a little worse for wear. But my curiousity wouldn't leave me alone. I had to look closer. Finally I got close enough to read the tag; Remington 721, .30-06. Now I'm getting weak. Finally I ask the lady if I could hold it. OMG! That did it. Talk about sweet! Now I'm really feeling a case of infidelity coming on. I already love 700s and the simplicity and feel and balance was too much. I had to have it. My unfaithfulness knows no bounds.

Well, right now I've got some things going on and I really don't need to spend $300 on anything. But I love layaways. So I put $100 down and layed it away. I've got a nice .30-06 already, and I've been thinking of building a long range .270. This 721 has a 24" Barrel on it and I love the contour so I'm thinking of having a custom Stanless barrel built with this contour, length and weight with a 1:8 twist, probably a Krieger. I have one rifle with a Krieger barrel and it's very accurate and just a really great barrel so I'll probably go with that.

The trigger is sweet but I'm thinking on getting me a Timney because I don't trust the Walker Trigger on it. It has a nice straight grained walnut stock so I'll strip it and sand it down and take the dents out with heat and put about 5 coats of BLO on it sanding in between and finish it satin and call it good. I'll worry about glass later. I've got a period correct Weaver K-6 I can put on it for now. What y'all think?

Last edited by Filaman; 05/05/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
HR IC

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
What happened to your wife's jewelry?

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
That's going to be a hard-pass from me, but do what makes you happy.

F
Filaman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by xausa
What happened to your wife's jewelry?

Oh I knocked that outta the park. See I didn't get distracted by the gun until I'd already picked out some nice things for her. This woman holds a spell over me. So even though I'm unfaithful to he by buying guns at the pawn shop she doesn't know about I still take care of my spousal duties, LOL!

Last edited by Filaman; 05/05/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
F
Filaman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I couldn't stand it any longer. I got my check today and broke the old girl outta jail. She's better than I thought. I finally could read writing on the scope. I thought it was a cheapo, but it's an old Bausch and Lomb 4x. I think it was made in the 80s or 90s. It's a Balfor B. I looked it up and they're going for $120 to $150 used. I think it's a damn good scope.

The rifle is just sweet. It lacks some refinements of the 700 but it has a really good feel. Now, after a real good cleaning I'm taking her to the range. This may be a mistake. If it shoots real good I may never make a .270 out of her.

Last edited by Filaman; 05/09/20.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Never shoot the donor.

Sounds like a neat rifle. Any pics to share?

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
My son in law has one. They are nice!

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Lots of gems to be found at pawnshops.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Pawn shops in my area are terrible. In many cases I can buy the guns new for cheaper, or not much difference. Usually they are beat up and abused or have crappy optics that bump the price up. No negotiations either. I have not been in the pawn shops in my area looking at guns for several years. I bet 85% of the guns are still the same.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I can follow that up with a good tale though. I picked up a near mint Model 70 Extreme All Weather in .264 WM at my local gun shop yesterday, used. has a little brass marking on the bolt face, but the feed ramps are unmarked etc. Doubt it has 50 rounds through it. Should be a fun open prairie gun for antelope and mule deer here in Wyoming. Like a need another one of those....

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Never shoot the donor.

Sounds like a neat rifle. Any pics to share?

I recently bought a 223 Kimber Montana. Straight to the gunsmith to be rebarrelled as a 17 Remington. Don't want a 223 and didn't want to chance shooting it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Friend of mine picked up a Remington 722 in 300 Savage many years ago for cheap and was going to have it rebarreled to something else. Until he shot it off the bench, the only thing he has done with it has put a more expensive scope on it. Last I talked to him he still has it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's kind of a shame to tear down those old survivors for the action. Just sayin'. smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SuperCub
It's kind of a shame to tear down those old survivors for the action. Just sayin'. smile

Yep!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
well I guess my user name would give it away, but my second CF rifle was a 721 in ‘06, purchased in 1961 for just a bit over $100 IIRC. Had to sell when money was short while working my way through college. Can’t say I miss the old piece, but carried it many a mile in those days. Shot my first BT buck near Grays River, Washington, it was a
5 x 4 point. Never ever saw a bigger Black Tail since. Shot five Alaskan Caribou with it. When ever I spot a 721 or 722 in a pawn shop, I feel a pang of regret over having to sell, but I guess a college degree was worth it.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I've been to a gun shop where the prices for used items is so high, that the items stayed there for years. Last time I was in there, the owner said "Do you want to see something?" I stated, "You should charge admission to your museum. At these prices, no one is buying anything".

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Just jealous of guys who live in areas big enough to support a pawn shop. Have no clue where the closest pawn shop is ?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 7 invisible), 1,533 guests, and 750 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,298
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.