Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Lennie what is a "red" progressive reloader? Hornady??
the thing I am beginning to worry about is after you size the case you normally trim to length. Seems like you would have to size and trim, separately, while the priming the case, powder addition, and bullet seating could be done automatically. Not sure about crimp if you wanted or needed it.

Case prep should only have to be done very rarely (other than de-crimping primer pockets which of course is only once). Some guys sound like they're trimming every time; if you have to do that, there's something wrong with your sizing die setup.

Personally I prep brass once, and for all subsequent loadings just run it through the Dillon 550 from fired to loaded in one pass, until cases need to be trimmed again, maybe 5-8 loadings depending on the brass. The caveat is that brass is kept separate and not just randomly mixed in with range brass or dumped in a general 5.56 bucket for later re-use; if you do that you'll need to prep brass every time to be safe.

I agree and do it the same way. By the time I need to trim, for me its time to anneal again.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by rost495

I agree and do it the same way. By the time I need to trim, for me its time to anneal again.

Yup that is about right for me as well, and proper sizing leads to less need for both.

Last edited by Yondering; 04/14/20.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep. Except the annealing part must be our TX heat. I can anneal, and load and let the ammo sit a year or more. All fine.

I can not anneal and leave ammo sit and in a year or two probably 30% or more will split necks on firing ruining the brass. Hence I anneal more often than I thought and not for accuracy reasons generally speaking.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

After that you figure out that if you run a bunch of loads 12-15 before you start loading then you get much better powder throws across the board.

smile

Can you expand on this part a bit? I'm not following. Are you just talking about running 12-15 "throws" through the powder measure before you start seating bullets?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a couple 550's that I reload all my rifle rounds with.

I don't think I save much time, but I aint pulling the handle that much either.

I run 100 rd batches and I do things in two stages which go like this.

Tumble overnight in Corn Cob
Spray lube
Lee deprimer in 1st stage
FL size 2nd
Mandrel neck die 3rd

Tumble 20-30 min to clean off lube

Anneal
Trim

Lee deprimer stage 1 (clears any stuck media) + seat primer
Autocharge/throw stage 2
Seat bullet stage 3

I've got all my Dillon heads locked down with the Uniquetek set up and I consider it a must have for COAL consistency.

I have one 550 set up for .308 cases and one for .223 and I change out the primer seater and its spring when changing to small rifle in the 6 Dasher or .22 Creedmoor.

It takes me a little over an hour to charge 100 cases and seat bullets.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have three progressives

Lee Loadmaster
Two...Hornady AP's one is dedicated to the 223

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Dillon 550 is set up for 5.56 right now with CFE223 in the powder silo.

Murphy was a grunt.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

After that you figure out that if you run a bunch of loads 12-15 before you start loading then you get much better powder throws across the board.

smile

Can you expand on this part a bit? I'm not following. Are you just talking about running 12-15 "throws" through the powder measure before you start seating bullets?

I think he's talking about setting aside your first 12-15 rounds. As you load, the powder hopper gets shaken around to some degree, so it settles differently than when you first pour it in the hopper or after it's sat for a while (remember powder dispensers measure by volume, and settled powder is denser). Once you get in a consistent rhythm, the powder can settle in the same way after each load. IMO using a powder baffle helps this to some degree.

The other factor here that I've noticed is the powder charge weight can vary a tenth grain or so between just one round in the powder station and a full shell plate. Some powders are more affected by that than others.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
and 1/10 or even a couple tenths should not hurt accuracy unless you are long ranging it or have a load thats not in a sweet spot.

And yes on getting rhythm, one could just shoot those rounds as practice or whatever.

I use baffles in the Dillon. I also have been a bit anal about marking my reservoir in thirds with tape and keep the powder between 1/3 and 2/3 so it helps the weight consistency pushing down some I think. Though I've not tested it.

IMHO there are two things to worry about. Straight loaded rounds. And having a load in a sweet spot. How you get there is up to you.

Anything other than that like polishing, weighing charges and so on, for MOST purposes is a waste of time. We have won many matches with dull dingy ammo loaded in bulk on a Dillon, even out to 600 yards though as I've often said I load 600 plus stuff on a single stage most of the time when we were shooting, assuming I had time. Mostly a mental gain rather than a real gain...

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have a Dillon 650 set up with an electric case feeder.
I use Benchmark and it meters beautifully through the powder measure.
Couple years back I bought two 5 gallon buckets of processed 5.56 brass from my gunsmith for less then $200.00, about 3500 cases to the bucket.
Taking my time I can run off about 600 rounds an hour.

Haven't run out of cases yet.

I've loaded pistol ammo on a SDB for over 20 years. It loads about 400 per hour.

Also have a BL550 I use to load for my Garands and 03A3s.

Last edited by HTDUCK; 04/15/20.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
IC B3

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I have used the same Dillon press since about 1995. I load all of my ammo including practice ammo, precision match and hunting ammo. I consistently hear you cannot load match grade ammo on it but that's a bunch of crap. My run out is typically .002-.003 on rifle ammo. Accuracy of the powder bar is based on the powder selection, as usual long stick powders like to hang up. In 5.56 and .243/6mm Creedmoor I use ball powders such as Ramshot TAC or Hunter. Getting up to .270 and larger I have no problems with any of the Hodgdon short cut or Alliant reloader series.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Terryk
I recently started using my 550B on 223. I use Dillion insanely expensive carbide dies, spray brass with hornady lube, and AA2230 powder.
I get a very uniform powder throw, and the bullets are very consistent. I'm never in a real rush, so I can get 400 in an hour.
I have a original hornady projector progressive and I always had primer seating issues, probably because it was no set up right. I have not touched it in 15 years.

EDIT: I sold the press.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have had a dillion 550 for 22 years .I finally wore out that first one three years ago .They sent me a new one when I sent it back . There were not any parts that were not work out .I had loaded over 100000 rounds .It was 338-378 forming from 416 weatherby that stretched that press .I hate loading 223 on be because of small bullets and the fact you can't tell a crimped primer on lots of 223 brass until you size it .I really liked 357 rem mag because it was super easy to load .I loaded more if it than anything . The most impressive thing I loaded waa 250 per hour of 416 rem mag .I loaded 2000 rounds in one day .It takes alot of poweder

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just loaded 500 223 on my Dillion 550.
If you want to make bullet seating easy install and RCBS Match Master seating die.
Just drop the bullet in and pull handle.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Traveler52
If you want to make bullet seating easy install and RCBS Match Master seating die.

I cringe when I see that brass set screw on that RCBS lock ring. Good luck with that one...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Traveler52

I cringe when I see that brass set screw on that RCBS lock ring. Good luck with that one...

PonsnessWarren was the developer of the design currently used by RCBS. It was first marketed over 20 years ago.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Yeah and it is really prone to the lock ring coming loose, or the set screw stripping out. However in a Dillon tool head, the set screw doesn't have to be used anyway so it doesn't really matter. They can be a PITA in a single stage press though where the die gets removed all the time.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've run a Dillon 550 since the early 90s. They are a great machine, and you just can't beat Dillon's lifetime warranty.

I ran a 650 for a few years, and the case feeder and auto indexing was really nice. I didn't like the extra setup and conversion time, so I sold it and picked up a second 550. I leave one setup for large primers and the other for small primers.

There are times I really miss the 650, though. I could really crank out some ammo with that thing!

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm out of reloading now but used a Dillon 550 for years. I recommend it.

Retired cat herder.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
2 550s and one 50 bmg progressive (Dillon)

Last edited by plastikosmd; 05/06/20.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10gaugeman, 1337Fungi, 72 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,772
Posts18,476,877
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.