Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Several years ago, Jim Carmichel wrote an essay that had to do with the appearance of shooting ranges. He said that our shooting ranges are often poorly maintained, covered in broken targets and trash.He opined that the places we shoot sould look more like golf courses than sandpits. He made the observation that we as shooters don't expect enough of ourselves. He observed that a litter covered range was not a place one's wife would want to spend a Sunday afternoon.

I used a printout of that article to persuade a gun club to do some attractive plantings around the perimeter of the skeet and trap fields. Twenty years later, people still remark how pleasant it is to spend time there. Carmichel was right. Now, I am trying to persuade another club to pay attention to how the grounds look. Unfortunately, I can no longer find a copy of Jim Carmihel's article. Cany anyone here find a link to that article?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by meddybemps; 05/12/20.

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I have shot matches that Jim has attended, and he is right. A few ranges are nicely maintained, some are a complete sch!thole.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gentlemen pay a visit to Cavalier Rifle and Pistol in Hanover county Virginia. We are still working on the range, adding more amenities.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by meddybemps
Several years ago, Jim Carmichel wrote an essay that had to do with the appearance of shooting ranges. He said that our shooting ranges are often poorly maintained, covered in broken targets and trash.He opined that the places we shoot sould look more like golf courses than sandpits. He made the observation that we as shooters don't expect enough of ourselves. He observed that a litter covered range was not a place one's wife would want to spend a Sunday afternoon.

I used a printout of that article to persuade a gun club to do some attractive plantings around the perimeter of the skeet and trap fields. Twenty years later, people still remark how pleasant it is to spend time there. Carmichel was right. Now, I am trying to persuade another club to pay attention to how the grounds look. Unfortunately, I can no longer find a copy of Jim Carmihel's article. Cany anyone here find a link to that article?

Thanks in advance.

I haven't really been interested in hunting or shooting magazines since Jim Carmihel got out of the business. I thought magazine articles would always be in the same content as the ones he wrote, didn't appreciate fully what I was blessed with at the time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Much of the decline of the content of hunting/shooting articles has come from changes in editorial requirements. Shorter articles and less story telling. Trend to do reviews to flatter advertisers into continued support. That sort of thing. MD can tell us much more on that subject.

That and reduced compensation limits or eliminates editorials and story telling.

Can't imagine any publication running something like Robert Ruark's Old Man series (Field and Stream) or Peter Capstick (American Hunter), or even stuff by Francis Sell and others these days.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you were successful in getting one range to plant some purty bushes, credit yourself.

You don’t need some old fart’s new paper article from 1964 or whatever to run around sticking in people’s’ faces.

Just tell them hey, this place is a dump and you let human filth come here and trash it up. Well...maybe that’s more of how I would tell them. You probably have a more softer, convincing approach.

Lol, I told the pain mgt clinic which is next to my orthopedic knee doc’s office, I went to the suite over there and told them their landscaping and waiting room was a shîthole. Cigarette butts, monster energy drink, Mountain Dew bottles, Doritos bags, wads of copenhagen slung out by the shared entrance doors. Looked like a damn carnival had rolled up and left town.
All I got were looks of bewilderment from the front desk staff.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

178 members (5sdad, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 300_savage, 31 invisible), 2,061 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,976
Posts18,499,480
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.