Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Landrum Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I almost always fly out of Atlanta on international flights and ATL is a hub for Delta. Which airlines are the best with regard to hassle-free travel for hunters? Conversely, which ones are the worst?

Landrum

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Knock on wood, but I've had no trouble with any of the following airlines that I've used getting to and from hunting destinations: American, Delta, US Airways, United, and South African Airways.

May the best days of your past be the worst days of your future.
M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Qantas is good too.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
SAA

M
M
Landrum,

I'm only familiar personally with BA, KLM and Air France. BA stands out above all the rest as just offering a better overall expereince. SAA carries more hunters probably than all the rest put together but the reports I get are not glowing and that 17 hour flight is just brutal.

I don't know if one is more hunter friendly than the other but a poorly trained counter person upon checking in can get your trip of to a poor start regardless of who they work for.

Mark

Mark H. Young
ADAM CLEMENTS SAFARI TRACKERS
P.O. Box 2105
Cody, WY 82414
Office: 307-587-6372
Cell: 307-250-1156
E-mail: [email protected]
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I haven't really had serious issues with any airlines about taking firearms as baggage. A call before you go to the airport always helps. Things have changed. I recall my first trip to Alaska-- many years ago and a completly different political world-- I carried my rifle to the plane, gave it to the steward and they put it in a gun case at the front of the passenger compartment. It was handed back to me when I deplaned with a good luck comment. Now-a-days I always check this page before going anywhere http://www.tsa.gov/index.shtm

I will hunt everywhere before I die!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I would say United Arab Emirates, probably because the major stockholder is a well known hunter.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was told that Emirates Air only allows Saeed to fly with firearms? Or is that just bunk?

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
For me it was a bit of a mixed blessing. the lady at the Air Canada check in counter was the most pleasant airline employee I have ever dealt with...right up until she realized that the big black gun case was fileld with...you guessed it...guns! Then she turned into a complete (bad word). sh epu tmy mother and I across the plan from each other rather than next to each other as we had asked.

The upside was that she was so busy being ignorant that she forgot to charge me the $50 fee for flying with a firearm which the airline did end up charging to the other guys in my group that checked in before us.

Remember their motto: Air Canada - We're not happy until you're not happy!

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd say Delta, but not Delta Paris. None of the flunkies at the baggage counter have a clue. It seems I always need a supervisor to come and sort things out there.

"Remember their motto: Air Canada - We're not happy until you're not happy!"

Truth in advertising.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I and my hunters have had good luck and service from SAA, but I am going Delta in a few weeks and I will report back. Never had a BIT of trouble with Alaska Airlines but they, alas, do not go to Africa!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
California hunter, your right thats just bunk. A nice route to dar es salaam is via UAE..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Which is the most hunter friendly airline?

Hooters?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
As long as you stay away from British airways and Ryanair, it should be ok. And if it is possible, stay away from London/Heathrow when travelling with rifles. London means trouble when you are travelling with guns in your luggage.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I just got back from flying with Delta and they were great. Other hunters on the flight said their experiences were also good. The next time over they will get my business.

The foundation for old age is good memories.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fredrick
As long as you stay away from British airways and Ryanair, it should be ok. And if it is possible, stay away from London/Heathrow when travelling with rifles. London means trouble when you are travelling with guns in your luggage.

Kathy the travel agent on AR reports BA has the best record for not losing rifles of any airline that services RSA.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
As I understand from the incidents involving BA and Heathrow is not that they loose rifles. The problem is that they confiscate weapons without any reason. A group of danish hunters experienced to arrive in Argentina because theur rifles had been held back in London. The excuse was that calibers over 7 mm is intended for war, and therefor they had to do extra checks wich lasted 4 days. It has been several similar incidents lately, so the local safariclub recomends all members to go with another airline and avoid London. It`s pretty irritating to arrive at your destination withot your rifle.

I am not saying that BA is all trouble, but if your BA flight is going trough London, there has been to many incidents with delayed weapons. Flights directly from US/Canada to Africa might work out better.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I am not saying that BA is all trouble, but if your BA flight is going trough London, there has been to many incidents with delayed weapons. Flights directly from US/Canada to Africa might work out better.

The issue form Canada is you can't fly through the US with rifles even as checked baggage. Silly US dept of commerce law.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by martinbns

The issue form Canada is you can't fly through the US with rifles even as checked baggage. Silly US dept of commerce law.

Which leaves Frankfurt as one of the better options for Canadians.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
Originally Posted by martinbns

Except you would normally fly AC to get there and then another Airline to joburg. AC has manged to lose our luggage on direct flights more than once, much less transferring our bags to SAA. The other thing for me is at 6'3" 250 I would be a physical wreck if forced to do multiple long flights on an Airbus plane. I'll take my chances with BA and Heathrow, besides my son and I are going to visit the British Museum during our 15 hour layover.
Which leaves Frankfurt as one of the better options for Canadians.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,425 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,169
Posts18,484,568
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.