Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Lennie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
The ongoing spread of coronavirus has made disinfecting police vehicles a major issue. After the New York City Police Department asked for a better way to sanitize its vehicles, Ford created software that will burn the germs out of the police department's SUVs, the company announced Wednesday.

With the new software, the Ford (F) Police Utility -- a version of the Ford Explorer SUV -- can use its engine along with the cabin ventilation system to raise interior temperatures to 133 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes. That's hot enough and long enough to kill more than 99% of disease causing germs in the vehicle, including the coronavirus, according to Ford.

In newer versions of the Police Utility, officers can initiate the process with a special series of presses on the vehicles' cruise control buttons. In older models of the Police Utility, model years 2013 through 2015, the process can be started by a technician using a device plugged into the SUV's electronic diagnostics port.
"You certainly don't want it to be something that gets activated accidentally so it is a complicated enough cycle that you'd have to be paying attention to what you're doing to, to get it to start," said Bill Gubing, Ford's director of passenger vehicles and SUVs.

Once the system is activated, the officer or technician then leaves the vehicle. The doors are locked automatically as the engine runs at an unusually high idle speed of around 2,000 RPM. That heats the engine coolant, which is then used to heat air that's pumped into the cabin, raising the cabin temperature for 15 minutes.

Ford has started rolling out a new software system for its Police Utility vehicles that will automatically disinfect the SUVs.
Once the car has been kept hot for 15 minutes a cool down process begins. First, unheated outside air is pumped into the cabin, flushing out the hot air. Then the air conditioning is switched on to cool the cabin further.
This system is better than just cleaning the inside of the car with disinfectant spray because the heat permeates the entire occupant compartment. Germs are killed even in hard-to-reach areas and there's no chance of any places being accidentally overlooked. Some special equipment installed by police departments could block the flow of hot air to all parts of the vehicle, though, a Ford spokesman said.
There are currently no safeguards to prevent the system from being turned on while a person or animal is inside the car, according to Ford. It's up to the police officer or technician to make sure the vehicle is empty before the system starts. If any of the controls inside the car, such as the steering wheel, pedals or gear selector, are moved while the system is running, the process automatically stops.

Adding sensors to reliably detect people or animals inside the car would have caused delays in getting the system out to police cars in the field, Gubing said.
"We'll continue to work with our agencies and get their feedback on how well it works and look at how we adjust if need be in the future," he said. "But right now, for speed, it's really officer or initiator dependent."
The interior of the car won't be harmed by the process, said Gubing. Even though 133 degrees is hot enough to kill viruses and bacteria, it's still well below the 176 degrees, at which Ford vehicle interiors are routinely heat tested. That's as hot as the interior of a closed vehicle can get on a summer day in the desert, he said.
The software is available to all police departments in the United States that use Ford Police Utilities. For now, the system is only being applied to Police Utility SUVs, Ford said, because they make up the majority of Ford police vehicles. The system may later be made available for police versions of Ford's other trucks, vans and sedans.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Wait until some dindu gets barbecued in the backseat,

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Or a K-9

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Bet the smell of twice baked doughnuts will be delicious.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by WAM
Wait until some dindu gets barbecued in the backseat,

That be bad, especially if white officer was responsible

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
This sounds like a bad idea. Put a UV light in there or something.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Park in the sun. Especially with the black and whites

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I guess this is good in the Fall, Winter, and Spring. But in the Summer time, I know my truck gets at least that hot if I have the windows rolled up and sitting in the sun. I hope that this actually works on the virus. I won't have to worry about wiping down the interior as much in the Summer.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Damn, all this time hospitals and medical facilities have been wasting their money on autoclaves and sterilizers when all they needed was a hot car in the parking lot to put everything in for 15 minutes. What a crock of [bleep].

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
What could go wrong?

IC B3

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Didn't Ford already have a truck a few years back that would get up over 1200 degrees?

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by cedarbreaker
Didn't Ford already have a truck a few years back that would get up over 1200 degrees?

Pinto, if you stopped suddenly on the freeway...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I guess I won't have to worry about it. Even during most of the winter here in Tucson my vehicles get abominably hot when sitting out in the sun. This time of year you can't hardly touch the steering wheel. No virus can stand up to that.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
When a standard steam autoclave procedure is for 250 degrees F for 30 minutes it does not seem likely to me that anyone would be dumb enough to buy the liability of potentially locking someone in the vehicle for a 15 minute roasting at 133 degrees F. That does not at all in any way shape or form appear to be a well thought out idea no matter the angle from which you consider it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How long before they cook some black dude?

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
During Desert Storm it hit 134 where my team was working outside, nearest shade was ~40km, near Riyadh. This was with a just calibrated thermometer which I knew was accurate since I did the calibration in my calibration lab. I never knew how safe I was due to the heat. Can't even describe how hot it was.

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by colvin
Bet the smell of twice baked doughnuts will be delicious.

grin

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What effect will that have on the radio and computer equipment in the car?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
No more brake checks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ford, looking out for Officer safety.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 55 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,049
Posts18,500,981
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.