Print Thread
Hop To
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Early into this someone asked if people would change their plans due to the virus and the consensus was negative; we’d hunt as planned.

Now that businesses have failed and there is an increased sense of economic uncertainty what do you think generally? Like I’m not asking YOU; more like do you think there’ll be a return to the sorts of 2010-ish?

My pard and I just put in for a general Wyoming tag as a second choice with an impossible first so I can get an 11th point. I plan to build experience this way while saving points for a hard to draw tag later. Hoping the grade of units available as second choice rises with economic fall.

We shall see.

Thoughts?

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I figured it would have a effect, Montana was unsubscribed, Weyerhaeuser access permits sold out last week around here in record time. Guess we’ll see with Idaho, Washington, Oregon and Arizona draws. The next month will tell the tale. I’m more concerned about Canada opening the border as I’ve a trip planned up there. Already got a pocket full of tags so I’m gtg, but more is always better. 👍

Really hopin Idaho pulls my name for buck or moose super tag.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Alaska has already experienced some loss of tag revenues for spring bear hunts but hopefully
Fall hunting season won't be seriously impacted. The loss of license and tag sales is further
magnified by the loss of 3 to 1 matching PR funds and that can seriously impact the Game Department.

A similar loss of DJ funds for lost fishing license sales will be severe for the department also.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I skipped a few apps and also put in for points only for some. That said, Nevada apparently reported an INCREASE in draw applications this year. Without data, we are all just guessing...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The deadline for Idaho's draws was yesterday so it'll be a while before we have any data.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There may be a decrease in guided hunt demand, but doubtful it has any effect on demands for tags in the lower 48. Certainly didn’t help me on MT tags.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, Colorado saw 40,000 more applications than 2019, and their application season was in March to early April at the height of the scare. The agency is still bracing for huge numbers of license returns and low demand for OTC tags, but that’s all speculation. We do know there was a lot more applications than normal though.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
That's some good info exbiologist. I was told they expected the CO app numbers to be down this year and were surprised they weren't. I definitely thought the CO app numbers would be down. I told a buddy that was on the fence about applying that this may be his year for Sheep because fewer people would apply. Boy was a I wrong. He hasn't asked me for $50 yet but I may owe him lunch.

I was also told any licenses refunded wouldn't be going into the Secondary Draws which is kind of disappointing but understandable with the timing of it all.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Any one know if Idaho and Montana are allowing nonresident fishing and varmint hunting??

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Any one know if Idaho and Montana are allowing nonresident fishing and varmint hunting??

Yes they are allowing it now. Idaho that is. Not sure about Montana.

Last edited by Springcove; 06/02/20.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

Yes they're open

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Well, Colorado saw 40,000 more applications than 2019, and their application season was in March to early April at the height of the scare. The agency is still bracing for huge numbers of license returns and low demand for OTC tags, but that’s all speculation. We do know there was a lot more applications than normal though.

Thanks that answers my question. Very interesting.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
CO deer applications were 10,000 more than 2019 and down 15,000 or so from a high in 2018. Elk apps trending the same and were up about 10,000 from 2019, but down 15,000 from 2018. New system spurred apps in 2018? Didn’t look at moose, sheep, pronghorn numbers but the trend is up from 2019 and well under 2018. I think tag quotas overall were not increased and were cut in some units. Whether licenses will be returned in large numbers remains to be seen. It costs you the price of a small game license, application fee, and $30 to return the license. That could be around $130 for a non resident to hedge chances on a fall hunt. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

57 members (BlackHunter, blackhawk44, aaronward9, 10gaugemag, big_g270, 9 invisible), 1,520 guests, and 810 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,556
Posts18,510,431
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.