-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Was loading up some -06 that were sized with a Lee collet die and noticed a wide variation in how much force it took to seat the bullets. I had the die set up correctly and used enough force to size the brass. I checked bullet diameters, neck thickness and diameter and found no variation. I think the problem was that the brass hadn't been annealed in several loadings which caused the necks to not size properly and spring back after sizing?
I annealed the batch but haven't tried seating any more yet to see if that solved the problem.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
From my experience I would agree with you on the annealing. When I don’t anneal for more than a few firings, I find the same inconsistency with bullet seating no matter what type of sizing die I’m using.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Since the collet die is built around sizing "just enough" it does seem plausible that work hardening differences would manifest as seating force differences.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sand the mandrel a touch thinner by chucking it in a drill, that is common for these dies

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Sand the mandrel a touch thinner by chucking it in a drill, that is common for these dies

But would that account for the variation in neck tension? Like I said in the OP some bullets almost fall in and others definitely have neck tension. After checking the bullets and brass demensionally the only variable seems to be brass hardness.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You will just have to trust me on this, it works
You are right about the springback and brass hardness

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can order an undersized mandrel from Lee. It nice to have a regular sized and an undersized for different conditions.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
OK I'll get an undersize mandrel.
Thanks!

Jack O'Connor
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go to the hardware store and find the steel machine bushing drawer.
One of them fits pretty well over the brass on a .30 cal.
For under two bucks it will give you a good rough comparison between casing necks.
I think the ID is about .342"

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 06/12/20.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock

But would that account for the variation in neck tension? Like I said in the OP some bullets almost fall in and others definitely have neck tension. After checking the bullets and brass demensionally the only variable seems to be brass hardness.

No it would not account for what you are experiencing. Load and shoot what you have, anneal before you load again. You might consider annealing every firing or every other.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A few years ago I had a .22 Hornet which I shot a lot, sized with a Lee LCD but never annealed the tiny cases. Eventually I noticed that I was feeling a lot of variation in the force required to seat the bullets and some could be twisted in the case after seating. I annealed them and consistency returned.

Annealing would be a quick, easy and cost-free experiment, try it on the offending brass.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I finally got around to reading the directions. They state that if you experience variations in neck tension you should anneal. If that doesn't solve it, hone the mandrel down .001. If that doesn't solve it, buy a .002 undersize mandrel. I measured the mandrel and it is .305 so it doesn't need to be any smaller. When all else fails, read the directions!

Jack O'Connor
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I recommend against their adjustment instructions however

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I checked bullet diameters, neck thickness and diameter and found no variation.

You're the first I've ever heard of that had absolutely perfect components.

Last edited by 1minute; 06/12/20.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1minute
I checked bullet diameters, neck thickness and diameter and found no variation.

You're the first I've ever heard of that had absolutely perfect components.

OK, I should have said no significant variation. Bullets miced within a tenth, necks were within a thou.

Jack O'Connor

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,213 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,010
Posts18,500,178
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.