T
You know you'll need a timer and not a sun dial... grin

GB1

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I shot this today with my Colt 6720 EOThingie and M193. Amazing how bad I am offhand.
100 yards on a 1/2 size silhouette (9x12 not including the head)
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
10.75 the last shot I went past my target and couldn’t go back quick enough.
50 yards
15.54 I forgot to add the fifth string at 3.20
25 yards
8.11 but my shot is out even though it’s 8” it’s still a miss but there it is.
7 yards
I couldn’t remember the offset but here it is too.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Forgot the rifle.
All shots offhand from low ready

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Haven’t shot this since 2015. Cool to see it back.

Today cold-

100- 7.06sec

50- 11.51sec

25- 5.51sec

7- 7.87sec

IIDMC...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dammit, I'm going to have to get off the bench and shoot this one. No time to try it yesterday, even though I was at the range half the day and then hit up a new range in the evening... Hopefully my shot timer works. I was only picking up 9 shots when I fired off 10 shots at 100 yards the other day. Practicing for that event we had yesterday. I managed 10 shots in 9 seconds and a score of 100-9x... The Northtech kicks some azz... It fared pretty well in the Carl Ross positional match that Formid remembers shooting...:

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Alright, I pulled my azz off the bench and shot this with my new Colt. I did this late lastnight and fired my last shot at 9:20 pm, so light was just fading and irons were harder to see. I didn't shoot my 50 yard target clean, dropped 2 shots so It will give me a good reason to shoot this again. I love my new rifle but optics and shooting left handed is going to be a lot quicker. Keep in mind, I shoot irons weak side because of my eyesight, so I'm not as naturally quick to the target as I am shooting left handed. Here are the pics with low score, but at least I shot it. I had no intention of shooting this lastnight, as I was working on a load for my m96 swedish mauser for the military rifle shoot I'll be doing next saturday. I brought my new Colt along, so figured what the hell:

100 yard target. Didn't need the huge 12"x24". Did it easily with a 12"x15" target. That means I can run it faster:

50 yard target:

25 yard target. Group is nice, target size is big for 25 yards, so that means I can easily run it faster, even shooting weak side and irons. POI was a little lower, so I'll have to hold a little higher next time:

7 yard target. 3" circle is fairly big at 7 yards. I was worried i'd miss and look stupid, so i probably took longer than necessary:

Times written on the back side of one of the targets I was using for load development for my military rifle:
Yeah, my military rifle is shooting sub moa 3 shot groups with irons at 100 yards... Don't pay attention to that though..

Oops, I left out the best part:

Excuse the piss poor cell pics and slow times.. Will be much better next time with an optic and shooting from my strong side.. I'll probably use my Northtech Defense next time out..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You did great! There's no way I could shoot it that quick weaksided and I don't shoot these to beat anyone but myself. It's an easy way to see if I'm getting better or not. If I compared my scores to everyone else I'd be disappointed. There's always someone better.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks buddy. I don't mind it much off the bench or during slow fire, but getting on target real quick doesn't feel natural like it does shooting left handed. In some ways, its like I'm learning all over again. This is great practice for me to get quicker, since I can't hunt jackrabbits here in oregon, like I did when I was a kid living in Nevada.. Thats the nice thing about shooting, you can always change things up a bit to make it more interesting...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Blue, no one seems to want to shoot these matches here. Seems like there's always guys griping because we shoot off the bench a lot. Then you have an event like this where you shoot offhand, and those guys griping don't shoot it. I'll post some results from two rifles I shot today. When I get home. This time I have no excuses because I shot left-handed

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Shot this with 2 rifles tonight. Used scopes too. Makes it much easier, for me anyways...

Rifles in the pic are my Northtech defense and Spikes tactical 6WOA. Both wearing Burris AR556 and AR762 4.5-14x42 rifle scopes. :

Scores written down as I shot and took the reading from the timer. If you notice, on the 50 yard run, I recorded the times for the second shot as well.. The timer has that info, so I wrote it down:

Looks like scores are as follows:

100 yard target with clean score. I made mine 12"x12", since 12x24 is pretty fn big...:
Northtech defense:
7.26 seconds

6WOA:
7.74 seconds

Northtech defense 50 yard score:
13.67 seconds

6WOA score at 50 yards:
14.37 seconds

Northtech defense 25 yard score:
6.54 seconds

6WOA 25 yard score:
6.85 seconds

Northtech defense 7 yard target score:
5.42 seconds

6WOA 7 yard score:
5.35 seconds. Forgot to write down the last time of 1.12 seconds.

Target pics:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/VoZKtJy.jpg[/img]

I would have thought formid would have kicked my azz more than that. Maybe our technique is a little different, especially on the close chidt. Keep in mind, I'm using 4.5-14x42 rifle scopes on both rifles in the picture. Thats proof right there, that you don't need 1x or less than 4x to shoot close targets. Ive shot elk running toward me as close as 15 yards away, with a 3-9x40 rifle scope.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The problem with magnificationnup close doesn’t usually manifest in a single target that you’re looking at before you shoot. It aimed when you’ve gotta find targets, discriminate between them, and translation between them.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
The problem with magnificationnup close doesn’t usually manifest in a single target that you’re looking at before you shoot. It aimed when you’ve gotta find targets, discriminate between them, and translation between them.

Thats why you shoot with both eyes open, when you are close. A target that big at 7 yards is pretty much a point and shoot deal. I guess the proof is in the speed of the target acquisition. Its your shoot man, your targets. What was your time on the close up 3" target? Ill go back and check. I pulled my azz off the bench to do this shoot, since the know nothings want to make comments about those of us shooting off the bench for the moa and black rifle challenge. If you want to change targets or distance, do so. Like i said its your shoot. You make the rules. Ill shoot damn near any challenge here. Im not skeered..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Easy there, sharpshooter. I’m just commenting on the use of magnification for close targets.

Both eyes open with magnification can be useful, but it’ll never be as fast as 1x. And those disadvantages sometimes don’t manifest until you’re in scenarios other than 1 shot on 1 target that you’re prepped for.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
And the 7 yard targets are 10 total shots, not just the five singles.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I really need to print the rules and go shoot this thing for real. I have no cell service at the range and figured I could remember everything but nope, I didn't.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah I tried to keep it relatable and uncomplicated, but 30 rounds isn’t easy to remember either.

My idea was that at 100 yards it’s good to get a round in the torso. Distance gives you options and time and if you can get a round somewhere on the bad guy that may be enough to give you more time to utilize more options.

At 50 yards a single shot may be all you get, but it’s close enough that you may need it to be solid hit and it’s reasonable for lost people to get that 8” hit at 50.

At 25 you definitely ought to be able to make that 8” shot and it definitely may be needed. 25 yards is real life gun fighting distance and you may need multiple hits right quick to get it over with.

The 7 yard single shots are a test of CNS head shot ability and knowing - remembering your offset. The 5 round group requires some visual patience to not get too aggressive. It also mimics punching through a barrier or armor, or multiple torso hits at 25ish.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It's a good drill/challenge. We've been shooting pistols every Saturday morning and I got there early to shoot this but not early enough. Since I had the steel in my truck my buddy had to wait on me so I rushed through it.

Next time I'll make him bring his AR and join me and maybe I can get it right. Got a match this Saturday but might try it afterwards if there's time.

BSA, quit being so modest.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shot this the other day I beat everyone’s score by like 20 seconds he’ll maybe 30, unfortunately I had my window rolled down and all the targets blew out onto the Glenn hwy. went my bragging material for the next 5 yrs

Last edited by 79S; 06/26/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (1Longbow, 160user, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 007FJ, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,442
Posts18,489,508
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.