Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Ky221
I find it odd....to take the time to walk 10feet to be close enough to use the snake shot vs. using that 10feet to simply walk around it.

Why is that odd?

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Ky221
I find it odd....to take the time to walk 10feet to be close enough to use the snake shot vs. using that 10feet to simply walk around it.

Poison snake enters my yard he gets killed and I go out of my way to make that happen

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Where are the videos of those tests on the deadly serpents? Where are the recovered pellets?
We must have videos and recovered pellets.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Where can I get shot capsules to load 32 Long? I've been shooting carpenter bees and an occasional sparrow w/22 shot, I'd just like to load my own. I'll try the gas checks tomorrow but I'm afraid there's not room.
Thanks,
Tom

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by shoptom
Where can I get shot capsules to load 32 Long? I've been shooting carpenter bees and an occasional sparrow w/22 shot, I'd just like to load my own. I'll try the gas checks tomorrow but I'm afraid there's not room.
Thanks,
Tom

I think you'll be just fine, especially if you load it with #12 shot. Can you fit an empty 32 H&R case into a 32 S&W chamber?

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
same rig as OP.
works quite nice..

folks that dont have family running around or pets dieing or stock to doctor can keep them in their area of operation. if they are over a mile from the house they can have a pass.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
We don't own a dog, and haven't owned one in the last 15 years, that hasn't been bitten at least once. Thursday evening I was putting a few trees on the ground and saw one of our goats had been bitten under it's jaw.

All the non-poisonous snakes get a pass, though I get get pissed at some of the water snakes, but anything poisonous is getting killed.

JPro, I hope the WMR is more effective than the LR's. I put a rattle snake down right next to me with LR shot shells and it was not impressive. After the 3rd one to his head I started hunting for a stick.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I shot a Boone and Crockett water moccasin in NC with a .38 shotshell that I loaded with 7 1/2’s. Fairly long shot, somewhere near 10 yards so I probably got lucky but a few ended up in its head. That snake was at least 4 feet long and it’s head was huge. Then there was the Indigo in FL that I shot with my 20 gauge quail gun. At about 15 yards I tore it’s head off. Dirty bugger was trying to hit my Springer! Found out that evening that they’re protected. This one wasn’t very protected at all.

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
[quote=Blacktail308 Found out that evening that they’re protected. This one wasn’t very protected at all.[/quote]

That reminds me of squirrel hunting once. My buddy shot one, and I asked him "Hey was that an endangered squirrel?". He said "Well that one sure was."

Growing up as a kid down in Mississippi with water moccasins, I never quite learned to agree with the folks who want to just let them be. I kill them if I see them. I've killed a few with CCI 40 S&W and 45 ACP shotshells in Glocks and 1911's, and have always been happy with the results even from well outside snake bite distance. I was never impressed with the 22 LR versions or any of the revolver rounds with the plastic shot capsules. (The 40 & 45 semi-auto shotshells hold more shot and pattern significantly better, in my experience.)

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
two copperheads with 38 special snake shot by CCI, if your too close the plastic cup makes a hole too. I have shot a few with other guns, shotguns, 22LR, but the best was a 257 roberts. Also why shoot a poisonous snake that is more than 10 ft away? So that if I pass that way again I won't have to worry about him. whistle

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Take a sized 32 case and sharpen the case mouth with a case chamfer tool. Punch out some cardboard over powder wads. Load case with Bullseye commensurate with the weight of shot plus the weight of a .32 lead round ball. Seat wad over powder. Load case with small shot. #12 is good but hard to find. #9 is readily available. Seat round ball in case. Some say round ball blows patterns but I have not experienced that with my patterning.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
In the .22 LR the best snake load is a Mini Mag hollowpoint.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by JPro
I carry an XDM 10mm on my belt, but there's often not time to change ammo to shotshells when a snake comes along.

Why not just carry that 10mm with one round of CCI 40 S&W shotshell in the chamber? That stuff does cycle the action, and works really well on snakes. I do this with my Glocks in snake country as regular practice. It does depend if you can make sure the cartridge rim is under the extractor though; it's a no brainer with a 10mm Glock but I don't know about the XDM.

Obviously it's different if you're hunting with that 10mm, but if you're carrying it as a defensive gun the first round as a shotshell over a mag of hollow points works well.

Wouldnt want my first shot out of a semi carried for defense to be the snake shot. In all my glocks the 45acp cci cycles the action MOST of the time but NOT always! (the 9mm jams more often then not) Figure a defensive use is going to happen faster, be more urgent and more stressfull then any snake encounter and would hate to have a jam needing cleared after first shot at a 2 legged or 4 legged predator i have likely simply just pissed off with the snake load. The idea of carrying the little revolver or even a Bond arms type derringer for snake duty, maybe in a back pocket or similar, in addition to a larger bore handgun for everything else is a sound one. I will carry a revolver set with 1st round being snakeshot but not a semi.

Last edited by marktheshark; 06/23/20.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by marktheshark
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by JPro
I carry an XDM 10mm on my belt, but there's often not time to change ammo to shotshells when a snake comes along.

Why not just carry that 10mm with one round of CCI 40 S&W shotshell in the chamber? That stuff does cycle the action, and works really well on snakes. I do this with my Glocks in snake country as regular practice. It does depend if you can make sure the cartridge rim is under the extractor though; it's a no brainer with a 10mm Glock but I don't know about the XDM.

Obviously it's different if you're hunting with that 10mm, but if you're carrying it as a defensive gun the first round as a shotshell over a mag of hollow points works well.

Wouldnt want my first shot out of a semi carried for defense to be the snake shot. In all my glocks the 45acp cci cycles the action MOST of the time but NOT always! (the 9mm jams more often then not) Figure a defensive use is going to happen faster, be more urgent and more stressfull then any snake encounter and would hate to have a jam needing cleared after first shot at a 2 legged or 4 legged predator i have likely simply just pissed off with the snake load. The idea of carrying the little revolver or even a Bond arms type derringer for snake duty, maybe in a back pocket or similar, in addition to a larger bore handgun for everything else is a sound one. I will carry a revolver set with 1st round being snakeshot but not a semi.

Interesting. I have never had a 40 or 45 CCI shotshell fail to cycle or even close in either Glocks or 1911s. Rapid fire, slow fire, empty mag or full, it's never been a concern at all; not sure what would be different with yours.

The 9mm shotshells are different and I don't bother with them; they are not really intended to cycle the action although they sometimes do.

Last edited by Yondering; 06/25/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Almost stepped on a Copperhead on the way back from the D. Refuge in W.M. - my weight was coming down and somehow I spotted it just before my boot landed on it, and I reversed, I don't know how! LOL. I hope you never get within 8 ft of a bad one, but that might help if you need it.

Took many Water Moccasins in LA using 22LR from various Smith J and K frames, and various pocket semi-autos.

One in the head does them no good. That little guy with WMR looks like it would be Painful to your ears.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've killed exactly one snake with the CCI loads, and they worked fine. However, if I really felt the need for "protection", I'd go with the .38 loads I put together with Speer shot capsules full of #12 shot I scrounged out of some Rio 12ga loads. Smoke a paper plate with one of those and you'll be a believer. Those shells were VERY cheap, BTW, much less than a bag of shot, and potentially useful for other stuff.

That said, in general, any snake not in my immediate safety zone is none of my business, and therefore safe from me.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (260madman, 1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 264magnum, 1minute, 257 roberts, 58 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,428
Posts18,489,229
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.